Lowering insulin resistance

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My insulin resistance is causing me problems with blood glucose levels. I'm already on the full dose of metformin and asked today about being given something else (if there is anything) to improve it.

We discussed a couple of options, but I'm not convinced by either.

Has anyone else had the same issue? What were you given and has it helped?

(I'm also on insulin and found that regular exercise is of no apparent help with blood sugar levels)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Firstly how long have you had type2 for?

Do you know what your last c-peptide test showed?

Also, can you tell us what you eat and drink in a normal day?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diet is the key to reduce insulin resistance, plus some intermittent fasting although as you are on insulin this would have to be discussed with your doctor.

As well as the questions @ringi asked, can you tell us which insulin regime you are on, is it fixed doses, and how many units?

Reactions: Freema

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there - 15 years with type 2, no idea about c-peptide test (what is this?), insulin is pump-based, basal throughout the day and bolus according to dafne.

Diet is not the key for me. I did low carb for many years, not much improved. I did the Newcastle diet and insulin resistance became markedly worse (brilliant). Exercise has also not helped, blood sugar higher after exercise than before.

In terms of what I eat, it varies.
I don't have huge amounts of carbs because they send my blood sugar sky high for ages, am vegetarian so eat mostly veg, few carbs such as pulses etc.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The c-peptide test is one that estimates how much insulin your pancreas produces. It is normally given around diagnosis time along with a GAD antibodies test which helps decide if you may be T1 rather than T2.

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ah I had a test for antibodies a few years ago and was told that it confirmed I was type 2 but not given any levels.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The antibodies tests can never confirm you are Type2, as about 25% of people with Type1 test negative on it.

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's interesting ringi, I shall ask in that case.
I know I have high insulin resistance because I have to inject a huge amount of insulin to try to lower my blood sugar and it frequently doesn't touch it. My DSN agrees.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest as I know nothing about injected insulin.
Insulin resistance cannot be made better by having too much circulating insulin - it is a vicious circle. Insulin resistance requires extra insulin to balance blood glucose levels. Too much insulin makes insulin resistance worse, which in turn requires even more insulin.
I assume you count your carbs, from what you say. The fewer you eat, the less insulin you need, the better the resistance becomes. Exercise also helps, as does intermittent fasting. How many grams do you eat in a normal day? Protein also makes a difference.

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
'isms'. Not being able to eat potatoes.
My insulin resistance is causing me problems with blood glucose levels. I'm already on the full dose of metformin and asked today about being given something else (if there is anything) to improve it.

We discussed a couple of options, but I'm not convinced by either.

Has anyone else had the same issue? What were you given and has it helped?

(I'm also on insulin and found that regular exercise is of no apparent help with blood sugar levels)

I was told to build muscle. Trying but no idea if it works. They want me off Metformin because of chronic kidney disease which is into stage 4.

M

Moggely

You know@sweety betty i have found with exercising my sugars go up a little but I'm persevering with it for fitness sake. I know nothing about taking insulin however. Good luck.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told to build muscle. Trying but no idea if it works. They want me off Metformin because of chronic kidney disease which is into stage 4.
I can't promise that building muscle will help everyone but it certainly helped my friend. He was diagnosed with T2 and his GP told him he would soon have to go onto insulin. This terrified him, and he joined a gym and began resistance training. I don't know if it was his doctor who told him this might help, but certainly his GP has been amazed by his test results ever since, this despite the fact that he is not really eating low carb, just a version of the famous Plate. I should say that he has been very consistent with his training.

My friend began his training when he was already almost 60, but he has been able to build a very nice toned, muscular but not over-muscled body. I met him at the gym, where I too do weight training. I can't say if it helps my bg, as I think my main problem is insulin insufficiency rather than insulin resistance, but I can tell you that at 76 I have arms to die for!!! Sadly most women think that after a certain age flabby arms are inevitable. It is not true!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm already on the full dose of metformin
Dr Bernstein suggests that the brand Glucophage XR can be up to twice as effective as the generic Metformin. I persuaded my GP to prescribe this for me. It was not too hard, as these days there is not much difference in price. It might be worth a try.