High Hba1c At Conception

hisjen84

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I know no one can tell me medically what to do, but I was hoping to hear from people who conceived with a high hba1c. As I have put in a previous thread mine was 11.8 and a consultant told me I should have a termination. This is without having my 7 week scan yet

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi, I know no one can tell me medically what to do, but I was hoping to hear from people who conceived with a high hba1c. As I have put in a previous thread mine was 11.8 and a consultant told me I should have a termination. This is without having my 7 week scan yet
Hi and welcome
No one can give you advice as a doctor
But I personally will tell you about my experience because we are similar in proportion Hba1c I was 12.80% sep 2017 my BG was 282mg/dl. This evening my blood sugar was 89mg/dl. 4.9mmol that was without any medicine just diet LCHF

Edited
Sorry now I just read your another topic you're pregnant Congratulations
I think it's different for you

Hicham

Last edited:

jcr0205

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am shocked he told you that!!! I conceived with a bad hba1c, however once I found out I was pregnant I sorted myself out, I didn’t have an enjoyable pregnancy as I vomited the full 9 months but my 8lb boy born 3 weeks early going into labour naturally is now a very healthy 9 year old :)
Congratulations xx

hisjen84

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I spoke to the diabetic nurse today who said there’s a high chance at my 7 week scan there is No baby. She also said it’s a very heightened risk I will miscarriage or the baby will be stillborn. I have told them I am continuing the pregnancy, I’ll give it every chance I can, plus I won’t make a decision like that based on what might happen xx

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I spoke to the diabetic nurse today who said there’s a high chance at my 7 week scan there is No baby. She also said it’s a very heightened risk I will miscarriage or the baby will be stillborn. I have told them I am continuing the pregnancy, I’ll give it every chance I can, plus I won’t make a decision like that based on what might happen xx

Sending you my very best wishes for a peaceful pregnancy with a very happy outcome.

Now that you have come to a decision I can tell you that I was advised to terminate a pregnancy (a long time ago, pre diagnosis) because no hearbeat could be detected. End result? My eldest son is 6' 4" and 39 years old with three children of his own. May you have all the joy of motherhood that you deserve.

Reactions: Yvonnie

hisjen84

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much it really helps having people to talk to about it xx

Yvonnie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I found out I was pregnant 3 weeks ago
My diabetes dr told me that the official guidelines are to advise against pregnancy if hba1c is over 10 and reeled off a whole list of complications
Then asked me on the spot what I want to do!

I started back on insulin in April, I asked what my hba1c was back then. It was 13.4 and is 10.8 now
So using that as my motivator I’ve decided to go ahead with pregnancy

However my insulin regimen is so tight now that I think I’m going to crack!

hisjen84

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Yvonnie

Sounds like we both had a similar experience, told me on the spot and said they would arrange it for me!
I have everything crossed for my 7 weeks scan. xx

hisjen84

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you it’s Monday the 30th July so not to long to wait now! Have you had a scan or had a date x

Yvonnie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you it’s Monday the 30th July so not to long to wait now! Have you had a scan or had a date x

I just had a scan as I have some sharp cramping with bleeding today
I’m supposed to be 8 weeks according to my LMP we “did the deed” 6 weeks ago but the scan is showing 4-5 weeks and too small to tell
So they’re rescanning in 2 weeks

This is really confusing how can I be 3 weeks out?

Babysheth

What’s the final Outcome ?? I am 6 Weeks as per UltraSound Scan and as per LMP , Already entered week 8. My hba1c and pregnancy were discovered at the same time. It was 9.6. After a month of portion control and Metaformins its 8.5 now and I am at 6 Weeks.

Last edited:

Babysheth

My Hba1c was 9.6 when I missed my first period. The same thing was recommended to me by my Gynaecologist. But I just did not want to give up. What was your final Outcome ?