Is Libre Reader Worth £22.95?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been emailed the starter offer of free reader with purchase of one sensor, as a new customer. This is after a wait of several months. When I tried to make the purchase I got a pop up note telling me it is not available to me yet. I emailed customer services, yesterday. Awaiting their response.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been emailed the starter offer of free reader with purchase of one sensor, as a new customer. This is after a wait of several months. When I tried to make the purchase I got a pop up note telling me it is not available to me yet. I emailed customer services, yesterday. Awaiting their response.
If you are in the UK, try ringing Abbott's freephone number 0800-1701177. I rang them yesterday to say I was having problems getting the free reader online. The woman was helpful and volunteered to take my order. Today I have been emailed to say my order is on its way.

I get the impression that Abbott mean well but are not very efficient or good with communication technology! My guess is that, just as the demand for the Libre took them by surprise, and they have been overwhelmed, so did the response to their free Reader offer.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank-you SO much everybody who responded so helpfully to my query. A good example of how very well this Forum works.

Jclifton567

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is another factor to consider re phone vs reader, that being the information and stats that you get are different from the two devices. It is why I actually use both and it is a pain; I have reported it to Abbott as I don’t really see why, technically, this should be the case. Anyway, I use the phone to get a quick look at stats because it is better than the reader and gives some information, estimated HbA1c for example, that the reader doesn’t. On the other hand, the reader and its associated software provide more detailed reporting - the glucose pattern insight is very useful - and I usually print off some reports and take to my appointments with my consultant. I have also used them as evidence to claim benefits. Hope this is helpful.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is another factor to consider re phone vs reader, that being the information and stats that you get are different from the two devices. It is why I actually use both and it is a pain; I have reported it to Abbott as I don’t really see why, technically, this should be the case. Anyway, I use the phone to get a quick look at stats because it is better than the reader and gives some information, estimated HbA1c for example, that the reader doesn’t. On the other hand, the reader and its associated software provide more detailed reporting - the glucose pattern insight is very useful - and I usually print off some reports and take to my appointments with my consultant. I have also used them as evidence to claim benefits. Hope this is helpful.
Very helpful, thank-you.

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I got my reader as part of a libre trial I love it as I do my finger prick tests as well as can check for key tones as well