Losing Weight effectively

pms543

I have a fair bit to lose...

Initailly on diagnosis , nearly 4 months back, I lost just over 3 and a half stones...but have since stalled whilst getting my head around combining my diet of gluten free foods and ones suitable for trying to stabilising my bg's

I wanted to ask those of you , who have lost weight, losing weight etc Do you count the amount of carbs and fats consumed at each and every meal / snack ?

I am finding that thought of doing that actaully daunting as well as planning meals and buying shopping etc

Not sure if I am making myself clear but in essence, I need to reduce weight, I like my single cream in coffee 2/3 times a day, have switched to having peppermint tea same and the couple of normal teas as well. So my milk consumption is down.

I think the thought of making sure my consumption of carbs and fats in the right quantities is overwhelming me... I wonder if anyone who successfully does it , has overcome the same dilema perhaps could enlighten me?

thanks

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It is daunting. But for me, the way I manage, is to not measure the fat I'm eating, but be aware of it. I have a good idea of what fat is in food, so I do get an idea of how much fat I'm eating. (I don't regulate it, mind you, but I am aware of it!)

Re: carbs - the only way I have found that works for me, is to TRY to keep it to zero. That way, I have a little wiggle room. I'm off veggies at the moment, but when I do take in veggies, again, I'm aware of the carb content, but I don't count it, because I know that the type of veggies I do eat (spinach, broccoli, etc...) have so few carbs that it would be quite difficult to eat enough to hit my BG very hard.

I don't eat huge portions, but I DO enjoy the food I eat. :wink: (I've een eating plenty of Rib-Eye/Rump Steak lately!)

There are people that will argue that aiming for zero carbs is unsustainable. To pre-empt that, I'll say that this is the only way that works for me. I do fall off sometimes - but it's not very often, and it's easier to get back on track by aiming for zero carbs if I do have a bad day. (A bad day for me is when I say "(Expletive deleted) it!" on one ocassion, like eat a choccy bar, or a bag of crisps (sometimes a BIG bag of crisps with dip!) - NOT when I have a complete bad day ( I don't do that). That's a bad habit to get into - if you slip up on one ocassion, don't use it as an excuse to write the whole day off).

I don't know of an eating plan IS completely sustainable. EVERYBODY falls off at some point. Start again IMMEDIATELY (NOT tomorrow!).

It is daunting, but it's a one off activity. Once you've learned which foods to avoid, it just becomes second nature.

It gets EXPONENTIALLY easier. The longer you've been without a particular food, the less you crave it.

Don't get hung up on fat. It's not the demon that it is made out to be! (I'll caveat that to stop the thread getting derailed by saying DYOR (Do Your Own Research)). Do avoid anything with Trans fats in, though. We all agree that Trans fats are BAD. Easy example - DON'T eat margarine - DO eat butter.

For losing weight, you're gonna want to read up on Ketosis, and Lipolysis. These are 2 mechanisms for losing weight. Don't get ketosis mixed up with Keto-acidosis (another caveat here - DYOR! Let's not derail this thread).

Good luck - and keep us updated!

pms543

Patch, thank you for taking the time to reply. I am glad you did.

I think I know a little about Ketosis, I used to know someone on a liquid shake diet that worked because they went into ketosis. I think thats where the body burns fat for energy?

Actually, I am not eating huge chunks of fat foods either..... I don't think. If anything, I probably have more eggs than ever used to, a new concept to me when advised against that after gall bladder surgery 4 years ago... I eat organic butter, full fat cheese but again in moderation. BAcon every other day with the fat remaining and so on... My bread intake is hugely reduced as I loathe the g/f breads unless I make my own which is my next planned adventure... I do NEED to up my intake of veggies tho so thanks for that reminder.....

Right, I will now go and read about lipolysis...thanks

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you want to slow down your weight loss, or even make it grind to a halt, the best thing you can do is eat bread. I've found that the type of bread doesn't matter (white/granary/wholemeal/Burgen) it just makes my BG shoot up. For weight loss, I'd avoid all bread altogether. Once you've lost some weigtht, you'll be able to re-introduce bread. But until that time, I'd avoid it like the plague.

Some peole will advocate Burgen bread (it has a high seed content). But it still contains a lot of carbs. i only eat it once in a blue moon (there's always a loaf in the freezer 'cos the issus loves it!).

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Lifes too short for counting carbs unless you have to (insulin etc), just being aware is enough for me and if I want to loose weight I eat less, its that simple :D

Buy a smaller plate, I'm not kidding it does work
thumbsup.gif

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I agree with Patch. I aim for about 30g of carb a day, sometimes stray up to around 50g. I don't worry about natural (ie unprocessed) fats at all, but base my diet on the Atkins Induction phase, which gives about 25g and saves all that counting. My version of it is posted on the Low-Carb Forum as Viv's Diet. If you can tolerate fat it's great, and it really works for me. You only have to check carbs if you go outside the guidelines.

Did you know that pork fat is about one third polyunsaturated? beef is a little lower, but they are by no means the death-traps some people would have you believe. If you can afford organic, so much the better.

Unfortunately if you have insulin resistance your weight loss will be slower, but persevere - as your weight comes down the insulin resistance will weaken, or so I'm told.

If you do lapse on the odd occasion, don't beat yourself up - put it behind you and carry on. We're only human, after all. :D

Viv

I agree about the bread too! though I have a friend who makes small organic wholemeal seeded loaves, of which I have 2 in the freezer. I haven't tried her bread since I started testing, but I shall one day - I'm not giving those away! :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I lost over 5½ stone by using a combination of reduced carbs, no more than 60-80g per day, and GI/GL techniques. I also made sure that I ate low fat, fat has the highest amount of calories of all the food groups (protein and carbs) so has to be considered whilst trying to lose weight. Like Sid, I used a side plate at meal times so it all looked a lot but in actual fact was about half of what a Dinner plate holds. The brain has a lot to do with eating........you can fool it into thinking you are eating a lot and then you feel full. Worked for me.

I ate plenty of veg and moderate portions of fruit, used bread sparingly although once in a while I did have a couple of slices of 'Crusty White' Bread over the course of the day, plenty of wholesome butter too. The odd slice of healthy wholegrain bread was also part of my diet, although I had to be careful of the quantity because of the effect it sometimes had on Bg levels. A bit of a balancing act.

I have also maintained the weight loss using the same techniques. I now consume no more than 40g carbs per day as my Bg levels fluctuate due to a previous illness and reductions of all medications. The excellent 98% on target Bg control I had last year has so far eluded me, down to around 80% at the moment but I plan to be back on target very soon !

Downside......costing me a fortune in new clothes every couple of months as the weight is still coming off, hence sometimes I eat more carbs/calories than I like to so I don't become too thin.
I now get told "You look good !" rather than the previous "You look awful !" Friends are so nice, don't you think....... :roll:

Energy and fitness levels are back to the days was I was younger, fitter and much more active.
Suits me. :D

pms543

All very encouarging! Thanks also cugila

I can but try...off to read Vivs plan and see what I can glean from over there....

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There are a LOT of sneaky techniques for helping you lose weight. One that had a huge impact on me was:

- Put DOWN your knife and fork between mouthfuls, and don't pick 'em up again until your mouth is empty.

This makes the meal last longer - psychologically this helps A LOT. You think you've eaten more even if you haven't.

The simplest one is to drink plenty of water during the day, and especially at meal times. As well as filling you up, this also slows down the meal (see above!)

I'd be interested to see anyone elses little tricks for weight loss...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
pms543,

Two words.................sensible eating! :D

I've not lost as much weight as others but have lost 2 stone over the last 12-15 months and intend to lose another stone before the years out. I find losing weight slowly is the key, I count my carbs religiously (type 1 on insulin) but don't eat much fat and always opt for low-fat every-time it is available, I also prefer chicken and fish and only eat red meat once or twice a week.

As Sid Bonkers says portion control is useful and reducing the quantity on your plate will aid weight loss, if you can try exercising for at least 30-60 mins each day and keep alcohol to the weekends only. Good luck!

Nigel

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
all of the above are good tips - other things I did/do

first rule I introduced was everything and I mean EVERYTHING! even my 2 oatcakes before bed or if I have a handful of nuts - must be eaten at the table set with a plate glass of water and napkin - this stops you nibbling out of the fridge and cupboards and makes you aware of everything you are eating, it also helps you think about if you really want to eat it. A nice side effect (because this rules applies to all the family!) is we now sit down together when we eat and meal times have become more about the social aspect rather than feeding our faces! :lol:

Gillian Mckeith in my mind is a bit of a nutter but I learnt one thing from her - look at each mouthful before you put it in your mouth and appreciate what you are eating - this also slows you down if you tend to eat fast so your brain gets the correct signals about being full.

Something I did at the start but don't do so much now - I would have a small salad starter about 10 minutes before my main meal - you feel fuller sooner and it may help you not to over eat

Peterson

The most effective way of losing weight is keeping your proper diet regularly and other factors involves with it for losing weight are:
Avoid eating junk food and other food containing high calories and fats.
Do regular morning walk.
Some exercise in the evening..
And go for cycling..

mohin

That's the nice one and informative one post here you post for the acknowledgment of all the community of the forum.... Thanks for sharing this kind of the data with all of us and keep sharing more one's with us buddy..... Thanks allot.....

Elvis

No doubt these tips work effectively for the weight loss. every one is
satisfy with these tips for the weight loss and achieve their goal.

sparkles

I’ve been type 2 for a few years, age 52, height 5’7’’ starting weight 110 kg. I have been low carbing for almost 2 weeks. Before starting I was feeling isolated and severely depressed after suffering a skin complaint for the last 2 years. I am NOT a dieter and I especially can’t face paying to join a plan (-just so I can eat less.) (-would rather spend it on good food!!) I’m unashamedly one big foodie. I don’t know how much weight I’ve lost - weigh myself next week. BUT I am already 100% sold on the low carb philosophy and practice. By chance, I gave up sugar, cut out most cakes and biscuits and traded my plate for a smaller one about a month before starting. Looking back: simple changes which were good preparation.

To begin with I read, applied myself and tried to understand the theory behind ATKINS. (a dedication there not usually so typical of me!) I put my anti-diet bias aside, decided on an open mind and committed myself to try new veg style approach. Still clinically depressed, I spent 3-4 times what I would normally on Vegetables and immediately cut out all pasta, potatoes, bread, rice, flour products, processed goods, products with extra sugar added and trans fats..
It is severe I can tell you!
-But it works!!!

I craved seriously only for a few days. Two weeks in, I still get hungry/ miss certain foods- but never feel miserable due to starvation or deprivation. My diet is presently just vegetables, meat, dairy, fish. though later I’ll add back legumes and fruits. I drink water regularly day and night. I did not exercise at all at first, (Often not getting out of bed all day.)=(depression!) but soon found my mood lifting. Now, I walk if I want to and don’t if I don’t. I enjoy collecting low carb recipes and educating myself on the net about new foods, nutritional info etc and these forums have made me feel less isolated.

Spirit lifted, I feel connected again, re-energised, motivated and interested/ AND this b.. skin complaint is clearing up at a rate of knots -Yipee! … Hey look!… even If I haven't lost an ounce of weight all THAT has just gotta be worth something!

I never had a positive diet experience like this before.

In this last week I’m loving my garden and growing my own again. In future,I aim to learn more about whole foods and will shop local in grocers, butchers, fishmongers and health food shops, or online -Not in supermarkets! I refuse to get hung up on checking nutrition labels but will look out of interest at carb content etc and keep learning about food and trying new things. I don’t eat rich meats and tend to cut fat off - but that’s just me. I’m committed to eating more seafood. (rarely did before) I’m eating loads of eggs and looking with curiosity to seeing the effect of that on my future readings. I haven’t suffered constipation but eat loads of greens and drink a lg jug H2O daily. I’m missing fruit and legumes.. - especially my home made hummous …but know Iwill get them back eventually and looking forward to them.

Cheating: well I’m human and aren’t we all. I cut one caramel wafer into 6 pieces and when the going get too tough I’ve had one. Same with dark 85% choc 1 sq cut into 2. Not more than one a day usually at bedtime with a coco made with soya milk,sweetner and water. I drink fresh ground coffee daily with sweetner and soya milk= (1 gm carb) and not more than 3 but often just one.

I know it is presumptuous of me to write this when I am such a newbie but I have never experienced a good experience while trying to diet before. For anyone who is contemplating losing weight or whose health is deteriorating because of love of food /unhealthy eating: IE...Those whose body is telling them they need a lifestyle change -LIKE mine was. I can’t recommend a low carb diet and a new mindset enough! I Wish I’d found it twenty years ago!
PS… let me say too… in my opinion this is not a diet but a way to live now and forever that is sustainable (to the person,) enjoyable and controllable.
SPARKLES.

pms543

Fantastic Sparkles, am so encouraged to look at this way of eating for me even more now as am struggling to do so otherwise even though I tried it before (not so radical I admit) ...

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
pms453

Don't think about what you're missing - just make sure you enjoy what you can eat, to the full! The carb cravings will go, if you manage to stick it out for a couple of weeks. I was never a veg eater before Atkins, but I really love this diet - mainly because of how good I feel doing it. You'll get there - one day at a time!

Viv 8)

sparkles

Thanks PMS543!
If you try I hope you have the same good feeling and wish you luck. I don't think a low carb diet is the only good diet - it's just that I've personally found other diets so much harder. I think eating a little amount of things like pasta potatoe rice bread for someone like me who has a huge love of these things, healthy appetite and very little self control is just a taunt ... before long I always feel deprived. When I fail as I inevitably do I always feel worse about myself. Cutting out high carb foods all together yet remaining focussed on what I can still have, rather than what I've lost, works. Being focussed on veg, making sure theres always a good variety in my stock and being adventurous with it has really worked for me. I like the fact that I can eat these protein rich foods too and luxury things like cream in moderation. Its an amazing feeling to feel successful for once even if its only two weeks in. I think the important thing though... for anyone standing on the edge and contemplating ....is to have a good attitude and sense of adventure. Low carb appears to be working for me but for others its a low fat diet or something else that works. Whatever, Vegetables are great and there are so many and so many ways to prepare them. I think we all know what healthly eating is really. What I didnt know, struggled with and am having to re-learn is how much to eat and when to stop eating. Portion sizes came as a sad shock to me. When i like something I want to eat loads because its so lovely. That's not healthy and I am having to say no to myself which isnt easy. But fortunately those addictive cakes etc just aren't in the picture anymore and its so much easier for me to have discipline with veg and proteins. I'm sure I'll lose weight this time and think it will be ongoing. I dont think one should underestimate things like attitude, drive and motivation for effective weight loss but those things are most likely to remain if the experience is going well. My attitude was good but my motivation and drive are growing so much stronger for this experience being positive. So I think its important to find what works for you. We are all individual --as is our individual relationship to our food. But if someone is like me, a bit of a gannet who likes stodgy food, ...then yes, tI have to say ...try low carb and good luck!
SParkles.

xyriel987

Great conversation guys! My simple yet effective way on losing weight is that proper diet(less calories BUT more on vegetables, fruits and fishes), enough sleep (7-8 hours daily), regular exercise(3-4 hours daily) and taking natural health supplements. By the way, I'm planning to change my weight loss supplement, any suggestion of brand that effective but the cost is not too much expensive? Not diet pills guys. I preferred health supplements. A friend of mine suggested me the Slender Factor? Have you heard about that product before? Thanks...