Insulin Out Of The Fridge

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I know insulin leaflets say it will keep a month out of the fridge but does anyone have any actual experience with how long it can work when not cooled?

I'm asking because I'm moving country soon and there is a possibility I might not be able to keep it cooled on the journey over. I don't know how long it'll take to get health care set up so I can access new insulin so I wanted to know whether it'll be off after a month exactly, or can it last a bit longer if needed? Would it deteriorate slowly?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
You could get yourself a Frio bag which will keep your insulin cool for the journey. Have heard only good comments about the bags

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You could get yourself a Frio bag which will keep your insulin cool for the journey. Have heard only good comments about the bags
I thought Frio pouches only keep it "cool" (as in it won't spoil in hot weather) rather than at fridge temperature though?

Also, it will be a 14 hour journey at least so it's quite hard to find something that lasts that long

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
You are correct, it only keeps insulin cool BUT will last the 14 hour journey with ease

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, but what I meant was that the shelf life would then also be reduced to "around a month" because it won't be kept between 2-8°C as stipulated to keep its 12 month shelf life - wouldn't it?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi, I know insulin leaflets say it will keep a month out of the fridge but does anyone have any actual experience with how long it can work when not cooled?

I'm asking because I'm moving country soon and there is a possibility I might not be able to keep it cooled on the journey over. I don't know how long it'll take to get health care set up so I can access new insulin so I wanted to know whether it'll be off after a month exactly, or can it last a bit longer if needed? Would it deteriorate slowly?

As I understand the situation, the performance of insulin(s) degrade slowly but the rate of degradation is proportional to temperature. But I have also seen forum members write that their insulin has started to degrade after about 20 days so they've had to inject a higher dose to compensate.
Not sure if this tells you anything new?
https://www.iddt.org/about/living-with-diabetes/storing-insulin

Reactions: porl69 and Levy

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I understand the situation, the performance of insulin(s) degrade slowly but the rate of degradation is proportional to temperature. But I have also seen forum members write that their insulin has started to degrade after about 20 days so they've had to inject a higher dose to compensate.
Not sure if this tells you anything new?
https://www.iddt.org/about/living-with-diabetes/storing-insulin
I didn't know about the permitted exposure times, thank you that's very helpful! I will order a Frio pouch in that case :)

Reactions: porl69

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you really do want to keep it between 2-8C there are a limited number of products which can do this for a maximum of 18 hours. They aren't cheap though - one such example: https://www.mollymojo.co.uk/coolmeds-isothermic-bag-with-thermometer.html

I can't say how well the bigger ones like that work but I was able to go about 8 hours fridge to fridge with my mini bag last time I travelled to Europe.

Reactions: Struma and Levy

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you really do want to keep it between 2-8C there are a limited number of products which can do this for a maximum of 18 hours. They aren't cheap though - one such example: https://www.mollymojo.co.uk/coolmeds-isothermic-bag-with-thermometer.html

I can't say how well the bigger ones like that work but I was able to go about 8 hours fridge to fridge with my mini bag last time I travelled to Europe.
Thank you. I did look at options like that first but I don't think I can afford it which is why I'm looking at alternatives

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
If you put the frio insert in the fridge to cool it before packing your insulin and then insulate the frio itself, maybe with a non-eco polystyrene box, and put the whole lot into an insulated lunch box it may keep it at a lower temperature for longer. You could ask at your pharmacy if they still Receive any medicines in packaging that keeps them insulated, and if they do then ask if they could let you have some.

Reactions: Dodo and Levy

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you put the frio insert in the fridge to cool it before packing your insulin and then insulate the frio itself, maybe with a non-eco polystyrene box, and put the whole lot into an insulated lunch box it may keep it at a lower temperature for longer. You could ask at your pharmacy if they still Receive any medicines in packaging that keeps them insulated, and if they do then ask if they could let you have some.
Thank you, that's a great tip I'll ask them when I go pick up my prescription!

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I live in Australia and when it's in temperatures of below but close to 30C (max temp) it becomes very weak very quickly

KateMeg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I always ask the airline to put it in the aeroplane fridge for me - nobody has said no yet.

Reactions: Struma