Snacking In Between Meals

justadad

I have read up on the Libre, it doesn’t notify you of excessively low of high BGL does it?

It doesn't notify you. But every scan will give you a prediction, whether blood glucose is headed up or down.
If you link the libre to the blucon or the miaomiao, you can have a real time insight into your son's BG on your smartphone. And you will be able to set alarms.

Reactions: Jayden2407

Jayden2407

I am not quite sure how long it can last. I think it is not unusual to go over a year, but it is not so common.
My son is gradually on the way out of his honeymoon, at least his endocrinologist thinks so, based on the progression in the HBA1C: 5.8; 5.9. 6.0, 6.5 against the insulin requirements - currently he is on 5 units of lantus and between 3 and 8 units of novorapid a day (depending on the carbs and physical activity). Latest blood test - c-peptide - suggested his pancreas was still producing insulin.

My son is 12 now. Diagnosed at 10y and 10 months.

Okay so we’ll not know until he has his tests done I guess.
Jayden’s HBA1c was extremely high as at diagnosis his levels were 27 and had ketones in his blood so I believe it takes a while to come “back down”.
Your son is in pretty much the same as mine but we’ve just changed from Lantus to Tresiba.

How is your son coping with it all? It’s such a young age isn’t it. My son is doing really well, it was me that was a mess! We’re slowly getting in to it and I know we’ve got so much to learn.

justadad

How is your son coping with it all? It’s such a young age isn’t it. My son is doing really well, it was me that was a mess! We’re slowly getting in to it and I know we’ve got so much to learn.

It is an unfair battle, against a dirty opponent. My son had his share of disappointment and anger some 3-4 months after diagnosis. Did not last long, though. He's been very patient and diligent and cooperative. He is having the odd bad day, but all in all, we have it under control. Puberty hasn't kicked in yet, and I am guessing it will be a challenge.
All the best to you and your son! And have a great time!

Reactions: Jayden2407

Jayden2407

It is an unfair battle, against a dirty opponent. My son had his share of disappointment and anger some 3-4 months after diagnosis. Did not last long, though. He's been very patient and diligent and cooperative. He is having the odd bad day, but all in all, we have it under control. Puberty hasn't kicked in yet, and I am guessing it will be a challenge.
All the best to you and your son! And have a great time!

Oh yes, puberty it’s self can be a nightmare! never mind having to live with diabetes on top of things!
Same to you and your son, thanks again, and we will.

Reactions: porl69

Jayden2407

You will find ice cream pretty low in carbs!....ie a Mr Whippy is around 12g. Just remember test regular

Oooh, Jayden will be happy about that so if his carb to insulin ratio is 1-20 at lunch time would you still advise giving him the bolus??

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Oooh, Jayden will be happy about that so if his carb to insulin ratio is 1-20 at lunch time would you still advise giving him the bolus??

Good question. Depending on what his bloods are at that particular time! It is hard to tell people how to bolus for snacks and I wouldn't like to say yes OR no just in case. It would be your call. Just make sure you test regular :)

Jayden2407

Good question. Depending on what his bloods are at that particular time! It is hard to tell people how to bolus for snacks and I wouldn't like to say yes OR no just in case. It would be your call. Just make sure you test regular :)

I got you :)
Just test regular and if normal range then bolus for snack. If high, few lengths in the pool to bring it back down first thanks

Reactions: Knikki and porl69

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @Jayden2407 . As is to be expected some great advice from everyone. One thing I’ll add is this......you’re going on holiday and like everyone else who goes on holiday we do life differently for the duration.
Holidays are times of fun, excitement, adventure and chilling out.
When I go on holiday I move my target area for diabetes control. 50 wks a year I aim for mid 7’s on BS. Holiday times I aim for fun and family time. This usually results in BS target being higher maybe mid 9’s or 10’s. I find it a good compromise that makes for the best holiday.
Remember at home... Jayden. Diabetes. Food. Testing etc.
Holiday time..... you’ve got to put the holiday somewhere in the list above. Personally for me the list would be ....Jayden. Holiday. Food. Diabetes. etc.
My opinion is that a 1 or 2 week timeout from diabetes is more beneficial than not. It’s not just the physical side of diabetes to consider, the mental/ emotional side is equally important.
Have a great holiday.

D

Deleted Account

You will find ice cream pretty low in carbs!....ie a Mr Whippy is around 12g. Just remember test regular
And ice cream in a tub is lower than icecream in a cardboard textured cone :)

Regarding Libre (I can't find the appropriate response to reply to), bear in mind it is not as accurate as finger pricking.
Many people find it great and reasonably accurate. However, the advice I was given was it was not accurate enough to dose insulin from.
As it uses interstitial fluid rather than blood to estimate BG results, it tends to be 15 - 20 minutes behind finger pricks. For me 15 minutes of hypo would be a long time and I *hope* I would notice before the Libre miao miao tells me unless I set a high BG for the alarm which is then at risk of alarming too often.

I trialed a DexCom G4 for a while and found the rising or falling too fast alarm more useful than the "you are too high/low" alarm.
In an ideal world, I would like to combine both: alarm when you are falling fast AND your BG is less than 5.5 (or something like that). I don't know if this is possible to set on miao miao or bludrip+

Jayden2407

Hey @Jayden2407 . As is to be expected some great advice from everyone. One thing I’ll add is this......you’re going on holiday and like everyone else who goes on holiday we do life differently for the duration.
Holidays are times of fun, excitement, adventure and chilling out.
When I go on holiday I move my target area for diabetes control. 50 wks a year I aim for mid 7’s on BS. Holiday times I aim for fun and family time. This usually results in BS target being higher maybe mid 9’s or 10’s. I find it a good compromise that makes for the best holiday.
Remember at home... Jayden. Diabetes. Food. Testing etc.
Holiday time..... you’ve got to put the holiday somewhere in the list above. Personally for me the list would be ....Jayden. Holiday. Food. Diabetes. etc.
My opinion is that a 1 or 2 week timeout from diabetes is more beneficial than not. It’s not just the physical side of diabetes to consider, the mental/ emotional side is equally important.
Have a great holiday.

Of course, we’re not letting diabetes ruin our holiday - fun, fun and more fun! Can’t wait, our boys are so excited

I was just curious because we don’t do the snacking between meals thing, I just wanted to be prepared.
Plus first holiday since diagnosis so a little wary of do’s & dont’s but over all will put diabetes to the bottom of Jaydens list

Thank you very much, we will