sport

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi

so we have only had 2 matches since starting on the pump but not managed to get it right yet last time i changed nothing and dylan came off 2.4. today i reduced basal an hour before to 80% now it was really sunny today so could of made a difference but really struggled to keep him up out of the 2s gave him dextrose tablets and carby snacks but nothing seemed to work took basal down to 70% as well.

just wondering what other people do for sport should i of reduced it more to begin with its so hard to know for the best just looking for abit of guidance from people in the know :D

anna marie

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
This is a useful presentation about using Insulin Pumps and in particular exercise. Might be worth a look.

http://www.runsweet.com/InsulinPumps.html

Here is a quote from the presentation :

Although ideally dose adjustments should be made at least 30 minutes before starting exercise, pump therapy does allow for impromptu activity, which can be beneficial especially in younger people. Young people with diabetes who suspend basal insulin during exercise suffer significantly less hypoglycaemia when compared with those who continue their usual basal rate during exercise , but it should be noted that this results in a significant increase in post-exercise hyperglycaemia. This is important, as it increases the risk of deterioration in overall glycaemic control, and more importantly the risk of ketosis. An alternative strategy is to continue basal insulin during exercise , with the rate reduced depending on the intensity and duration of the exercise, and this seems now to be the preferred option. However there are as yet no studies to advise what would be an appropriate basal dose reduction (or even increase) for various type and duration of exercise, and how long before and after exercise that these changes should best be made.

Following intense exercise, hyperglycaemia may be problematic. This can be managed with a corrective bolus dose of insulin, and may be anticipated with experience.

I'm sure the other Mom's & Dad's will also offer their own experiences in due course........

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
thanks hun its basically what i did not sure whether the sun had a big impact today as was boiling thought 70% reduction would of been fine maybe 50% would be better trial and error is the only way to find out i guess just wondered what others did

anna marie

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Our experience is that a reduction in basal needs to happen at least 2 hours before you want it to be effective. So if he's playing at 10am, you want to reduce the basal at around 8am giving it 2 hours to start taking effect. Of course everyone is different but that's our experience of altering basals, you may need to give it even longer than 2 hours. For sport we always give a biscuit or carby snack before the exercise starts. Jess doesn't do anything too excessive when it comes to exercise but trial and error will probably be the only way to work out how much carb needs to be taken on board to cover a particular intensity and duration of exercise. So far for exercise we haven't altered the basal, we simply give extra carb to cover the exercise. If a meal occurs shortly before exercise then maybe an idea to change his carb to insulin ratio so that he takes on board less insulin for that meal rather than altering the basal. Personally I feel Jess' basal is so little that even suspending it to cover for the exercise probably won't be enough.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
thanks for the reply, dylans basal is small too but i find football hard to judge as they play 7 and a half mins each way, now dylan may play for all of that match half of it or none at all they play 4 matches total over a few hours but like i say could be on some more than others. would like to sort it now as we are coming into the end of the season but we then start tournaments which last all day sometimes with hours in between matches, we take a packed lunch and have a very enjoyable day nurse did say take the pump off but as its only suppose to be taken off for an hour its easier to be able to leave it on for the time being with the unpredictability of it.

i did think 70% off would of been a good starting point but like i say could of been the weather today that didnt help things guess will have to wait till next matches to find out more

anna marie

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i will write his results from yesterday so u can see what happened.....

8am- 8.0- had 60 grams of cereal insulin to cover and reduced basal to 80%
10am- 2.1- gave 3 glucotabs and 20g of carb
11am- 4.7- gave another gluco tab
1200- 3.7- another gluco tab and 15g snack
he had a cupcake at 12.30 but didnt bolus
had an ice cream at 3pm but didnt bolus again
4pm-17.1- did correction
5pm-9.6- 50g tea
6pm- 10.1
8pm 8.0

so by the afternoon he was fine once id corrected the 17.1 but feel i gave him an awful lot to cover the football and then was terrified to bolus what he had eaten while we were still at football hence why i did correction once we were home

anna marie

jonesy

when my son plays football we only give him 75% of his bolus amount for the meals before and after the game.
we also drop his basal rate to 70% over a 4 hour period.

jonesy

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
maybe thats what i need to try next then reducing his bolus thanks

anna marie

spideog

I have been trying reducing my basal to -50% the last couple of weeks before approx 40-50 minutes of running. Sometimes that has worked out perfectly fine, others the sugars have gone way to low and then I've also had stupidly high ad low reading a couple of hours later too. I've not yet been able to fine anything particularly common about it yet, but still have more testing to do.

I'll be trying the pump out on my longest run with it so far this weekend as there is a half marathon I signed up for before going on the pump. I was intending to just take it slow and maybe pace one of my friends around the course with me then stopping to do some tests part way. I've since found out that friend isn't running this weekend, and I'm not now sure I'll be able to restrain myself from racing. The fast I go the quicker it's over anyway. :D

@jonesy: Are you reducing the basal by 70% or are you reducing it by 30% to 70%?

spideog

jonesy said:
dropping the basal rate BY 30% TO 70% of normal basal rate.

jonesy
Thanks.

I think I also need to play around with adjusting the bolus amounts a bit as well, as I won't be able to cope with having to eat 4+ hours before doing any exercise.