Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just started a borrowed book called 'Factfulness' by Hans Rosling. This book was lent to my son and I thought it sounded interesting. I've only read 26 pages and I am totally flummoxed as to why I picked it up considering my view on data wrt whole population/world statistics. The author seems to think that he alone (or at best very, very few people) are aware that preconceptions influence world view.
I'm not at all sure that I will get to page 50.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well, I got as far as page 28 and gave up. The author has an ego the size of a metropolitan library that is filled with copies of his own book. Pfft!

Reactions: Pipp

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Well, I got as far as page 28 and gave up. The author has an ego the size of a metropolitan library that is filled with copies of his own book. Pfft!

I can’t bear big egos or patronising authors - but just call that a personal bias

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Well you're beating me. I have about 30 books that I have to read. And yet I'll still buy more.

I need to get the archer series out the way and the Barbara Taylor Bradford series out the way. Then I can concentrate on these books. It's that bad I'm thinking of buying another bookshelf today ha ha
I've got loads of books to read and i always buy more

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got loads of books to read and i always buy more

I think a fair few of us do. I buy mine in charity shops or discount book stores online. I usually buy paperbacks as I find some hardback books too heavy.

And then of course I still use the library as I can reserve items online

Happy reading :)

Robrunner

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I tend to read fiction where the last one I finished was 'North' by Scott Jurek. He's an ultra runner on a mission to set a faster known time on the appalachian trail. A great read though a lot about running, he really goes into the mindset and how one can keep going when everything calls out to stop.

On my audible account I get through a large amount of books. I recently just relistened to 'The cycle of Arawn' one of my most beloved series. The banter between the two main characters Dante and Blase is worth a read just on that!

Reactions: dtennant9

Julia McCoulough

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
I think a fair few of us do. I buy mine in charity shops or discount book stores online. I usually buy paperbacks as I find some hardback books too heavy.

Thank you

Robrunner

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

See i'm lucky enough to live near Bookbarn in somerset. Millions of books just a pound each!

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
See i'm lucky enough to live near Bookbarn in somerset. Millions of books just a pound each!

oh my idea of heaven. I'm seriously thinking of building shelves into an alcove in my granddaughter's bedroom. She only stays every so often so wouldnt be put out by the lack of room. I always wanted to be a librarian and got to be one in secondary school but never followed it through

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love my kindle
I have recently found out I can borrow e-books free of charge from my local library. I also download books that are out of copyright (all the classics) free from Project Gutenberg:
https://www.gutenberg.org
I find this helpful even though copies of older books can be acquired very cheaply, as they often have very small print, and of course on a tablet one can make the print any size one wants, and the lighting is brilliant. There are also wonderful illustrated books available which would cost a fortune to buy even if one could find them.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I blame reading (partly) for developing T2. Stay with me here! I would hold a book in one hand and with the other I would be dipping into a bowl/plate of crisps, crackers or nuts. The longer I read the more I would consume. Many times my fingers would come up empty and I would then realise that I had eaten a whole plateful without tasting one bite. It was a habit I found incredibly hard to break and I still miss something crispy and crunchy to nibble on while my nose is buried in a book.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I blame reading (partly) for developing T2. Stay with me here! I would hold a book in one hand and with the other I would be dipping into a bowl/plate of crisps, crackers or nuts. The longer I read the more I would consume. Many times my fingers would come up empty and I would then realise that I had eaten a whole plateful without tasting one bite. It was a habit I found incredibly hard to break and I still miss something crispy and crunchy to nibble on while my nose is buried in a book.

with my its wine, have to have a glass of wine if I'm reading. soon the bottle is gone and I'm wondering which wine fairy has been nicking it

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading Dead if you Dont by Peter James. I love his books, so easy to read and you get through them quickly with your tongue hanging out wanting more

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just finished 'Not Alone' by Craig Falconner.A stand alone novel, a human story, with a sci fi twist!

Have just downloaded the sequel.

An interesting read, it's about how if clear evidence was found that there is sentient life on another planet and a government agency hid it for decades, until the stored files were stolen and one was found by a young man who revealed the folders contents on the internet.
However, there are many twists and turns, until..........., no spoilers here!
A good read!
I gave it 4 stars out of five on kindle.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm half way through Cometh the Hour by Jeffrey Archer - 6th book in the Clifton Chronicles. Have the last one waiting to be read up the corner along with 2 books by a lady called Anne Archer (no relation to Jeffrey I assume) called the Ferry Girls and the Canary Girls

Then to start the last but one Barbara Taylor Bradford's Emma Harte saga and then to reserve the last in that saga from the library.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Rotherweird by Andrew Caldecott - a mixture of the historical, the fantastical, the satirical and both dark and light humour. If you enjoyed Ghormanghast, and Terry Pratchett then you may well like this one too. I’m hooked.