Rice Alternatives

Pauliegreg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone,

I'm going shopping later and need some ideas for LC alternatives to rice. It's cauliflower rice okay.
But I'm not a great fan of cauliflower so if it tastes like cauli I won't like it haha, I'm fussy!
Has anyone got any ideas?
Thanks

Paul

Reactions: Freema
D

Deleted Account

I have seen others excited by cauliflower rice. Unfortunately, like you, I don't like the taste of cauliflower and found cauli rice tasted as I expected. But don't let me put you off entirely - give it a go.

However, I would take a step back and ask if you need an alternative to rice?
Can you just remove it from your meal and have more of the stuff that goes with the rice?
Most rice alternative will be carby and, if you are looking for LC, you don't want them.

Pauliegreg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My partner likes cauliflower rice and said it tastes as you'd expect too. I might give it a go though.
Never thought of leaving it out, that's always an option. Thanks

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm not that fussy on cauli rice but it was better when I added in more salt and pepper (a lot more!).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My partner likes cauliflower rice and said it tastes as you'd expect too. I might give it a go though.
Never thought of leaving it out, that's always an option. Thanks
Easier to have twice as much of whatever you were having with the rice.. probably tastier and more enjoyable too.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

I'm going shopping later and need some ideas for LC alternatives to rice. It's cauliflower rice okay.
But I'm not a great fan of cauliflower so if it tastes like cauli I won't like it haha, I'm fussy!
Has anyone got any ideas?
Thanks

Paul
Hi Paul
My experience with cauli rice is the packs of fresh cauli rice in the salad section are quite smelly. I have found the best is frozen pavks of 4 from ICELAND which cost £2. They also do the same version of green rice which is made from brocolli, kale, etc. You just microwave it for 5 mins and its a winner. I have either of these with homemade curry but with chilli I often have it on a bed of sterstem brocolli or green beans or cabbage. I have Bolognese in the same way. The green rice is lovely with fish too. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
cauliflower fried rice is pretty good! The trick is to get all the moisture out of it by turning a teatowel into a lolly wrapper with the cauli in the middle instead of a lolly and then twisting the ends until you can twist no more! Then squeeze! Then fry some bacon with a bit of onion, add some other vegies, and some egg (lightly beaten and fried in the pan before you start.. although I always forget and have to use a second frypan for the eggs), then add the raw grated well drained cauli and stir fry on a reasonably high heat until it's tender. Add a couple of splashes of soy sauce at the end and stir it well. This was really good, and not very cauliflowery at all.

Zucchini noodles are also good.. but again.. the trick with the teatowel to get rid of all the moisture and you always need more zucchini than you'd ever imagine because they're practically 99% water!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, not sure where you intend on doing your shopping, but, I recommend Iceland for their cauliflower rice, £2 for 4 steam bags, its seasoned and has a nice taste, also very convenient.

Morrisons also do a cauliflower cous cous type product in their chilled section.

The website https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/cauliflower-rice/ also has a nice recipe, cauliflower rice with added cream and coconut.
You can also do Broccoli rice or a combination of the 2.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
cauliflower fried rice is pretty good! The trick is to get all the moisture out of it by turning a teatowel into a lolly wrapper with the cauli in the middle instead of a lolly and then twisting the ends until you can twist no more! Then squeeze! Then fry some bacon with a bit of onion, add some other vegies, and some egg (lightly beaten and fried in the pan before you start.. although I always forget and have to use a second frypan for the eggs), then add the raw grated well drained cauli and stir fry on a reasonably high heat until it's tender. Add a couple of splashes of soy sauce at the end and stir it well. This was really good, and not very cauliflowery at all.

Zucchini noodles are also good.. but again.. the trick with the teatowel to get rid of all the moisture and you always need more zucchini than you'd ever imagine because they're practically 99% water!
Thanks MrsGruffy some great ideas and tips there.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

This version sounds lovely, will definitely try this, thank you for sharing

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm not too keen on cauliflower, but I find cauliflower rice is ok if fried until dry and heavily spiced. I fry it with finely chopped onion, dessicated coconut and spices so it's like pulao rice.
The Iceland green rice is good - I need to stock up with more.
You can also get 'Slim' or water rice from Holland & Barrett or other health shops. It's made from Konjac, a tuber grown in SE Asia, and has zero carbs. Doesn't taste of anything so should just be used for bulking out meals.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a lazy cook, so I don't bother with trying to make rice or spaghetti from something else. I just roast pieces of cauliflower or broccoli in the oven and put whatever I was going to eat with the rice or pasta over it on my plate. Or simply leave it out and eat more of the rest.

Last edited:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My only attempt at fried caulli rice turned into fried caulli charcoal (not recommended ) !!
Carol

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
I use cauliflower rice often. Fry a few chopped onions, mushrooms and a bit of garlic then add the cauliflower rice. Actually prefer to to ‘normal’ rice.