What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The memsahib and I went slightly bonkers this morning and went for a Brewers Fayre buffet brekky. First time for flippin' ages!
I'm quite pleased I didn't go too mad on the hash browns, but as for the rest....? Ooff!!

Oh and as usual, I didn't touch the black pudding. :depressed:
@Derbyshire Boy loving the application of memsahib to your significant other :) Without sounding all High Court Judge like, what is a Brewers Fayre?

Reactions: Derbyshire Boy

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Posting menu early as I may be done eating for the day (or this part of forever). Menu and spacing an attempt to be ready for biggest energy expenditure of the day around 18.00 hrs but nutritionally flaky so far. I hope to be able to put that right later. Hope everyone is still enjoying summer '18 menu below:

8.40 2 pint mugs tea with h/m almond milk
10.55 Fage 5%, flaxseed and inulin mix (3 tbls flaxseed to 1 tsp Inulin very much like crushed digestive texture. If I added sweetener it would be in taste); raspberries and blackberries ( 1 way or another both free); 2 pints tea with h/m almond milk. inulin and sweetener in 1 mug.
13.05 Passing fridge and ham offcuts wailed,“help I need eating” - my sentimental side rushed to their rescue; then the Mortadella joined in and I have no compassion fatigue so I just had to help
13.45 Usual filter coffee mix with 3x zero stevia and whole milk;
15.45 h/m high fibre choc bar of very old vintage with more Fage 5% ( that one’s very much a winner for me); water
I have no idea what I will be like after an hour Nordic Walking in tropical heat class, so may or may not eat anything later.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Posting menu early as I may be done eating for the day (or this part of forever). Menu and spacing an attempt to be ready for biggest energy expenditure of the day around 18.00 hrs but nutritionally flaky so far. I hope to be able to put that right later. Hope everyone is still enjoying summer '18 menu below@

8.40 2 pint mugs tea with h/m almond milk
10.55 Fage 5%, flaxseed and inulin mix (3 tbls flaxseed to 1 tsp Inulin very much like crushed digestive texture. If I added sweetener it would be in taste); raspberries and blackberries ( 1 way or another both free); 2 pints tea with h/m almond milk. inulin and sweetener in 1 mug.
13.05 Passing fridge and ham offcuts wailed,“help I need eating” - my sentimental side rushed to their rescue; then the Mortadella joined in and I have no compassion fatigue so I just had to help
13.45 Usual filter coffee mix with 3x zero stevia and whole milk;
15.45 h/m high fibre choc bar of very old vintage with more Fage 5% ( that one’s very much a winner for me); water
I have no idea what I will be like after an hour Nordic Walking in tropical heat class, so may or may not eat anything later.

Looking fotward to hearing about the Nordic walking on the exercise thread later. ( if you survive intact)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all back from brum where had work meeting this morning but also met old friend for lunch in John lewis. Hot in the city and pleased to be back
Early breakfast (not my preference I prefer to eat late as I try to restrict number of hours I eat but was hungry so didn’t skip it today!) one slice of bacon and egg
Lunch ate my smuggled in supplies - as nothing suitable I could spot and be confident about - so ate my portion of mixed nuts and 100% choc buttons (5)
Dinner pork ribs had left in slow cooker first thing and remains of cauliflower cheese followed by SF jelly and dollop of fage yoghurt

Kingmidas

Breakfast - Greek yoghurt (with a little sweetener), strawberries, chopped walnuts and chia seeds

Lunch - lo dough toasted with paté, then some cold turkey steak leftover from last night as I was still hungry (as usual ...) and some olives. Sugar free jelly

Snack - handful of cherries en route to mothers care home and a Cadburys treat size bar when I got home. I'd have been eating 2 or 3 full bars a day previously at my worst ...

Dinner is salmon with asparagus and baby corn.

Haven't had my pud yet - may have another go at a cake in a mug!

Attachments

• 20180724_092607.jpg
    20180724_092607.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 263

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - Greek yoghurt (with a little sweetener), strawberries, chopped walnuts and chia seeds

Lunch - lo dough toasted with paté, then some cold turkey steak leftover from last night as I was still hungry (as usual ...) and some olives. Sugar free jelly

Snack - handful of cherries en route to mothers care home and a Cadburys treat size bar when I got home. I'd have been eating 2 or 3 full bars a day previously at my worst ...

Have you tried working up to high percentage cocoa choc? Then you can eat more! Some people melt high percentage choc and mix a few drops of stevia in it to sweeten it up and or you could add nuts or coconut and reset in fridge then break off treat sized portions. I worked my way up started at 70% and now happy with 100% choc. Worth working at so you can keep choc treats in your way of eating. I buy hotel chocolate 100% buttons and each is only 0.2 g per button. They can also be melted and mixed with extra thick double cream for a lazy choc mousse- again if not sweet enough you could add a good sweetener to help you adjust. Hope this helps we do need our treats especially 2hen dealing with difficult family stuff.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

Kingmidas

Have you tried working up to high percentage cocoa choc? Then you can eat more! Some people melt high percentage choc and mix a few drops of stevia in it to sweeten it up and or you could add nuts or coconut and reset in fridge then break off treat sized portions. I worked my way up started at 70% and now happy with 100% choc. Worth working at so you can keep choc treats in your way of eating. I buy hotel chocolate 100% buttons and each is only 0.2 g per button. They can also be melted and mixed with extra thick double cream for a lazy choc mousse- again if not sweet enough you could add a good sweetener to help you adjust. Hope this helps we do need our treats especially 2hen dealing with difficult family stuff.

Yes I do eat it sometimes but really don't like the taste, although I like the thought of melting it and making a mousse! Mmmm. I'd rather have less of what I like I'm barely prediabetic so this is all prevention rather than cure. I've just been re-tested for high ALT liver readings and my levels are nearly back to normal again, after only 5-6 weeks of low carbing so I remain hopeful I'm going to reverse both my fatty liver and my pre-diabetes

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I do eat it sometimes but really don't like the taste, although I like the thought of melting it and making a mousse! Mmmm. I'd rather have less of what I like I'm barely prediabetic so this is all prevention rather than cure. I've just been re-tested for high ALT liver readings and my levels are nearly back to normal again, after only 5-6 weeks of low carbing so I remain hopeful I'm going to reverse both my fatty liver and my pre-diabetes
Well done on your improvements you’re clearly heading in the right direction

Reactions: maglil55

bell27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liver!!!
Hi Rachox, have you got a recipe for the coconut porridge? Also wondered if it's better to use honey than artificial sweeteners?

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all back from brum where had work meeting this morning but also met old friend for lunch in John lewis. Hot in the city and pleased to be back
Early breakfast (not my preference I prefer to eat late as I try to restrict number of hours I eat but was hungry so didn’t skip it today!) one slice of bacon and egg
Lunch ate my smuggled in supplies - as nothing suitable I could spot and be confident about - so ate my portion of mixed nuts and 100% choc buttons (5)
Dinner pork ribs had left in slow cooker first thing and remains of cauliflower cheese followed by SF jelly and dollop of fage yoghurt
i quite happily eat 90% choc now too

Reactions: Goonergal

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, glad you survived your trip to the city @shelley262 been very hot again but there was a bit more of a breeze today so it’s been bearable.
B ham and cheese omelette with coffee and cream
L salad leaves, tomato, cucumber, raddish, tuna steak (left overs from last night) 1 piece of the almond bread I made yesterday
Half of a PhD smart bar, raspberry flavour
D venison sausage, asparagus wrapped in bacon, 2 portobello mushrooms, poached egg and 2 halloumi chips. I cut a block of halloumi to make goats in blankets and had 2 little end pieces so fried them, they are very moreish. Small slice of zucchini lemon cake with cream.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. I continue to eat for England. No idea where this appetite is coming from. Weighed this morning and have lost 0.2kg this week, so it’s not putting any weight on me and my ketones are up to 2.2 so I guess I need it.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - Lidl Deluxe Antipasto (salami, prosciutto and coppa ) supplemented with a portion of lemon zucchini cake (proving to be the more popular of the 2 with colleagues) and way too much 85% chocolate. The sooner that snack drawer is emptied the better.

Dinner - pan fried sea bass fillet with buttered cabbage. Thanks to whoever suggested frying in lard. Much better result.

On a whim went swimming for the first time in years after dinner. Had forgotten how hungry it makes me! Since return have polished off 43g salted almonds and a lazy dessert of extra thick double cream mixed with almond butter and 2 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, glad you survived your trip to the city @shelley262 been very hot again but there was a bit more of a breeze today so it’s been bearable.
B ham and cheese omelette with coffee and cream
L salad leaves, tomato, cucumber, raddish, tuna steak (left overs from last night) 1 piece of the almond bread I made yesterday
Half of a PhD smart bar, raspberry flavour
D venison sausage, asparagus wrapped in bacon, 2 portobello mushrooms, poached egg and 2 halloumi chips. I cut a block of halloumi to make goats in blankets and had 2 little end pieces so fried them, they are very moreish. Small slice of zucchini lemon cake with cream.
@jayney27 Menu envy. Sounds sooo good overall. @Goonergal I know these things are all comparative but we clearly have wildly different ideas of eating for England. Your scales and keytones seem to see things my way -you are just listening to your body. Hope someone gives me lessons in that skill,

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 This triggered my curiosity as in the female members all seem to like or hanker for "puddings" I (suspect like lots of men) it is protein I want most - especially in meat and cheese form. Y'all mostly have partners or dads and brothers is this born out in your "lived experience"?
Ah yes puddings. My absolute favourite was trifle. My Mum got me started on them and I made it exactly the same way - super sherry sodden and it was even better day 2. I can do a low carb sponge, cream is fine, custard I could probable do too made properly with eggs and xylitol but the problems start with the strawberry jam and the fruit. It's a lot of faffing about.
Other favourite was clootie dumpling. This was nothing like the stuff you can buy in slices. Grandma used to make it first - laden with mixed fruit and peel a and oodles of brown sugar and treacle. It was cooked wrapped in a scalded muslin inside a pillow case. When cooked it was onto a platter and in front of the coal fire to dry and form the outer skin. I can almost taste it. As children we always asked for a dumpling rather than a birthday cake. No way I could make that low carb.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@jayney27 Menu envy. Sounds sooo good overall. @Goonergal I know these things are all comparative but we clearly have wildly different ideas of eating for England. Your scales and keytones seem to see things my way -you are just listening to your body. Hope someone gives me lessons in that skill,
@ianpspurs I enjoyed my menu today and am already looking forward to my goats in blankets tomorrow

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

How are you "toasting" your lo dough for pate? I love pate but I'd taken to just eating it with salad or just one slice Tesco High Protein bread on a very low carb day. For your chocolate fix why not join the 90 or 100% clans?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal I know these things are all comparative but we clearly have wildly different ideas of eating for England. Your scales and keytones seem to see things my way -you are just listening to your body. Hope someone gives me lessons in that skill,

LOL. Guess I’ve got so used to eating a lot less (quantity and frequency) than in my pre diagnosis days that a day like today feels like total gluttony. Food app says 2,500 calories. Spent so long eating regular OMAD that this feels very indulgent and OMAD is now really hard....

Kingmidas

How are you "toasting" your lo dough for pate? I love pate but I'd taken to just eating it with salad or just one slice Tesco High Protein bread on a very low carb day. For your chocolate fix why not join the 90 or 100% clans?
I popped it in the oven for about 5 mins. It makes it kind of cracker-y. I cut it into wedges to scoop the paté on.

I really don't like the high cocoa chocolate although I have it in the cupboard in case of choc emergencies I find the taste really unpleasant but was very interested in the choc mousse mentioned earlier!

Derbyshire Boy

@Derbyshire Boy loving the application of memsahib to your significant other :) Without sounding all High Court Judge like, what is a Brewers Fayre?

Basically, Brewer's Fayre is a chain of pub/eateries all over the UK. Its not particular fancy or anything, but they do have a reasonably good menu and the prices aren't too bad.

The breakfast is an "all you can eat" buffet. Lush! Back in the day, I used to really stuff myself, but not these days, fortunately. A typical menu of theirs: https://www.brewersfayre.co.uk/pub-restaurant-menus/Devon/Exeter-Monkerton.html
:)

Last edited: