Do You Class Yourself As A) Reversed B) In Remission C) Controlled D) Other And Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just feel confused. Food doesn't seem to have that much effect on bloods but stress does. GP says always diabetic but he did consider it "excellent control". I would love to come off the diabetic register.
I had a similar chat with my DN at my 6 monthly review yesterday. I am diet controlled and my Hba1c has been between 34 and 38 for the last 4-5 years but, whilst I think of myself as in remission, she has told me that I am just well controlled. I am not ultra low carb and probably eat approx 100g per day.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox - Do you actually know of anyone who has actually lost their annual A1c and retinopathy screening as a result of coming off the register?

Please don't think I'm being confrontational, I'm not, but I read lots anecdotally of people losing thise services, but I can't think of one personal I have personally seen say it has actually happened to them, as opposed to fearing it will appen.

Having been off the register quite some time, I still have an annual A1c and rretinopaathy screening. In fact, my agreeing to the annual A1c was something my GP was extremely keen on.
I don’t know anyone personally, it was something someone asked at my Diabetes education session. The nurse there said this. I suppose I shouldn’t believe everything the ‘professionals’ say!

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Went from 47 to 49. Not horrendous but not good I spose.
For some reason the pathologists did all requested tests except A1c. GP took blood on the spot and I'll know on Friday. Last one was 5.7% and I'm not expecting much of a change. You never really know until you know though. Very happy with the lipid profile. Total 3.5, trigs 0.7, HDL 1.5, LDL 1.7
Still testing positive to C-ANCA PR3 antibodies but very low. Been like this for over a year and has everyone baffled.
Kidneys are still borderline stage 3 but at least are not getting worse. eGFR has been steady at around 55 - 65 for a good while now. Until Friday, good luck.
Glenn

Reactions: Prem51 and Debandez

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For some reason the pathologists did all requested tests except A1c. GP took blood on the spot and I'll know on Friday. Last one was 5.7% and I'm not expecting much of a change. You never really know until you know though. Very happy with the lipid profile. Total 3.5, trigs 0.7, HDL 1.5, LDL 1.7
Still testing positive to C-ANCA PR3 antibodies but very low. Been like this for over a year and has everyone baffled.
Kidneys are still borderline stage 3 but at least are not getting worse. eGFR has been steady at around 55 - 65 for a good while now. Until Friday, good luck.
Glenn

What is eGFR? Mine has always been 90? Your cholesterol is good! A **** sight better than mine. Total 4.6, Trigs 2,73, HDL 1.15. Are you on any medication?

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
What is eGFR? Mine has always been 90? Your cholesterol is good! A **** sight better than mine. Total 4.6, Trigs 2,73, HDL 1.15. Are you on any medication?
eGFR is the kidney's glomerular filtration rate. The 'e' means it is estimated from the creatinine level. The higher the number, the faster the kidneys can do their job. A rate of 60 in a male my size and age is stage 3 CKD. My GP doesn't believe it to be diabetes related as according to blood tests over many years including pre-diagnosis it has always been around this level. Importantly it is at least stable.

I was given a statin at the lowest possible dose when my cholesterol was at 6.0 but have since been taken off this and manage LDL by keeping saturated fats down to only 20g per day. I believe the statin gave it a kick start but I have been able to keep it down at least for now. It hasn't been easy as I've had to manage low carbs while at the same time keep saturated fats low. The problem then is getting the 11,000 kj I need to power the body without losing too much weight. I'm getting used to it now and it will soon be perfunctory. Anyway, we'll see what the A1c reveals on Friday.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I consider my diabetes controlled at low prediabetic-high normal levels by low carb. I've done this for nearly four and a half years now, currently for last 12 months by diet only. (GP and blood test resuts say well controlled too.)

I can control my glucose levels to a certain extent by my diet, but other issues beyond my control - such as stress, illness medications - can also upset my carefully managed diabetic apple cart. So for me diabetes is still there lurking in the background ready to raise it's ugly sugary head given the slightest cause to do so.

Robbity

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Trigs at 2.73 seems high for a total of 4.6. Did you fast for this test ? Normally, 4.6 would be considered good but it is the makeup which is telling.

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trigs at 2.73 seems high for a total of 4.6. Did you fast for this test ? Normally, 4.6 would be considered good but it is the makeup which is telling.

Well I had no food but a cup of instant coffe with milk and 2 sweetners so i am wondering if this would have effected the Trigs result??

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Debandez, I personally prefer 'c) Controlled' with my latest HbA1c being 40. Remission also makes sense as a term because it suggests a current state rather than cured.

Hi @MikeyJ thanks so much for for taking time to reply.

Have you seen my thread:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...f-word-together-maybe-the-way-forward.153817/

Just wondering if you would be interested in taking part in any way at all? Joining us in Birmingham, allowing me to tell your story or even just include you in our total weight loss figure which we are hoping will get to 100 stone. Or all 3!!! Thanks.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Controlled. Never reversed! I got back to under 42 last year, thought I was cured, went back to a high carb diet and the next test I was back to square 1.
Thanks for your reply @MKD75 I hope all is going well on your journey.

Reactions: MKD75

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My latest HbA1c was 5.8 what does that make me?. Five months ago it was 11.4 that's when I was diagnosed. Next HbA1c is next month.
normal in @Moggely which is a fantastic result.

thanks so much for for taking time to reply. Have you reduced it by eating LCHF? If so....

Have you seen my thread:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...f-word-together-maybe-the-way-forward.153817/

Just wondering if you would be interested in taking part in any way at all? Joining us in Birmingham, allowing me to tell your story or even just include you in our total weight loss figure which we are hoping will get to 100 stone. Or all 3!!! Thanks.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well there isnt a cure for the diabetes so although im symtom free as long as i eat lchf the word reversed feels wrong.

My diabetes is controlled and im without symptoms. Hba1c below 35. But as soon as i eat sugar im back to being sick again.

Hi @Vidgren

thanks so much for for taking time to reply.

Have you seen my thread:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just feel confused. Food doesn't seem to have that much effect on bloods but stress does. GP says always diabetic but he did consider it "excellent control". I would love to come off the diabetic register.

Hi @Hiitsme thanks so much for for taking time to reply. I thought I wanted to come off the diabetic register but I think I want to stay on, purely because I will still get the annual checks. But hated being labelled diabetic! I've got my head around it now and don't mind half as much. I would love to spread the word enough so that less people get diagnosed with this condition. More awareness is needed and people need to know the complications which can arise from it which I really don't think are emphasised enough.

Have you seen my thread:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi @Guzzler thanks so much for for taking time to reply.

Re my thread:

Thank you for the invitation. I would dearly love to take part but due to disabilities I am afraid I cannot attend.
My meagre weight loss wouldn't be much help either, I'm afraid, but I will be with you all in spirit and you have my whole hearted support. Go get 'em!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
D) other. My type 1 diabetes (please don’t forget when you post in Diabetes discussion this is a mixed forum not just type 2) is Managed. It is as possible to be fully in control of my diabetes as it is to be fully in control of a 3 year old but we try our best and, most of the time it/they behave.
sincere apologies - I do tend to just think type 2 I'm ashamed to say as that is my condition. I will be more aware in future. Thanks for your reply @helensaramay

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many with prediabetes having bariatric surgery are 'cured'.
My own sister for 1 who was type 2. She had bariatric surgery. Shortly after her diabetes disappeared. She can eat normal with no effects on BS! It has also been done with rapid weight loss too. So it just goes to show that it might not be that your beta cells are worn out as is implied. If that was the case they would not be able to kick back in.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have an oral glucose tolerance test then you have to prepare by eating carbs for a while before the test. This is because on a low carb diet your pancreas is not "used" to producing insulin. So maybe the high bg would only be temporary until your pancreas had adjusted. You can experiment if you want to, I am not going to. ☺

Hi @Mr_Pot thanks so much for for taking time to reply.

Re my thread:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a similar chat with my DN at my 6 monthly review yesterday. I am diet controlled and my Hba1c has been between 34 and 38 for the last 4-5 years but, whilst I think of myself as in remission, she has told me that I am just well controlled. I am not ultra low carb and probably eat approx 100g per day.

Hi @Daphne917 thanks so much for for taking time to reply.

Have you seen my thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.