Update

Walter Wolf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After being diagnosed T2 at the beginning of May, with an Hba1c of 11.3, I have now had my follow-up test results today.

Up until now, I have been on a combination of Metformin (1,000mg x 2 per day) and empagloflozin (Jardiance - 10mg x 1 per day).

The main issue was fatigue and a loss of energy, which improved significantly after I started on the Jardiance, to the point where I was able to resume my long lakeside walks that I have loved since I semi-retired 5 years ago.

The result of this is that my weight is now down from 110kg (17.5st) to 95kg (15st) and the Hba1c is down from 11.3 to 7.5.

My doctor has now dropped my metformin dose to 1,000mg per day, taken only in the morning. The reason for this is that it has been causing a severe loss of appetite in the evenings, which is compensated for by extreme hunger in the morning.

For the last 3 months, I have been more or less unable to eat anything in the evenings, even after a 15km walk. I then wake up in the morning and eat everything in sight until midday.

To try to resolve this, my doctor has advised me to cut out the evening dose of metformin and has replaced the Jardiance with a compound called Qtern, a compound of saxagliptin (5mg) and dapagliflozin (10mg).

Overall, things have improved since my energy levels have returned. I am, however, hoping to get back to something resembling a normal appetite.

Reactions: Prem51

Walter Wolf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you taking extended release metformin?
Why not 2 x 500 or 750 ER?
common side effect of jardiance is nausea and lack of appetite, your other compound is related

I asked my doctor about the extended release metformin and he didn't even seem to know it existed.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Walter Wolf. I don't know about the meds, but well done on your HbA1c and weight reductions.