Type 2 Can You Help Me Work Out My Cholesterol Please?

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t understand these results but gather they aren’t great!! Can someone calculate or explain them please. Had Trigs done today and even though I fasted I did have a cup of coffee with 2 x sweeteners half hour before the test. Would that have made a difference?

Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio
Serum cholesterol level 5.3 mmol/L [< 5.0]
Above high reference limit
Serum HDL cholesterol level 1.15 mmol/L [1.0 - 3.0]
Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 4.6 [< 4.0]
Above high reference limit
Serum non high density lipoprotein cholesterol level 4.2 mmol/L

Serum triglyceride levels
Serum triglyceride levels 2.37 mmol/L [< 2.3]
Above high reference limi

Reactions: catarinagallo

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your Trig/HDL ratio is the one I would look at and is 2.06.
It would be better were if less than 1.0
Not sure if you have previous full lipid panels but if you have this figure would be worth working out to see if its getting better or worse.
What kind of things are you eating? Your HbA1c levels don't look too bad so I'm guessing some minor tweaking should get you to better levels.

Reactions: MKD75

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if you have previous full lipid panels but if you have this figure would be worth working out to see if its getting better or worse.
What kind of things are you eating? Your HbA1c levels don't look too bad so I'm guessing some minor tweaking should get you to better levels.

I was hoping you’d reply A1c was 49, fluctuates from 47-49. I’ll see if I can see the lipid results, the whole thing baffles me!

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh 2 questions.. should I take statins based on that result? Also would the coffee had effected my Trigs?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was hoping you’d reply A1c was 49, fluctuates from 47-49. I’ll see if I can see the lipid results, the whole thing baffles me!
That's simply because most doctors know ****** all about cholesterol except if its more than 5 (the total) then you need statins....

Reactions: catarinagallo

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh 2 questions.. should I take statins based on that result? Also would the coffee had effected my Trigs?
1. No way would I take them with those results in a million years (I wouldn't take them whatever my results to be honest)
2. No idea but doubt it.

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's simply because most doctors know ****** all about cholesterol except if its more than 5 (the total) then you need statins....

IMG_1597.jpg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Re coffee query I’ve read @ few things about coffee and because of my high LDl I did change my coffee drinking from strong French press coffee which I drank a lot of to filter coffee using traditional filter papers. Difference I gather is that the filter papers capture more of the coffee oil. I also had advice to avoid drinking coffee on morning of test and stick to water. Not sure if it was cause or not ( I did drink French press coffee and cream on morning of my high test in May) but since changed this my ldl has more than halved - may be a coincidence or just one of those things of course! Who knows but my total cholesterol is now down to 7.5 rather than the 13.7 of May this year......

Last edited:

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

achike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
MKD75 - Slightly above upper normal limit but no need to panic. It takes time to come down after diet adjustments with or without statin adjustment.

Remember that a major problem with cholesterol levels is that our liver continously pumps out cholesterol as normal metabolism regardless of our control efforts.

This is an issue beyond medical explanation but from my personal T2 experience cruciferous vegetables especially broccoli yanks cholesterol down miraculously. Try it please.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just had my latest cholesterol result which was 4.8 overall with HDL 1.1, LDL 3.1 and Trigs 0.6. so no statin conversation this time apart from concern over my LDL! However I know that the HDL and LDL are the wrong way round so was wondering if anybody had any tips on how I can reverse them. My latest Hba1c was 37 and I eat moderate carbs (approx 100 per day) and full fat.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just had my latest cholesterol result which was 4.8 overall with HDL 1.1, LDL 3.1 and Trigs 0.6. so no statin conversation this time apart from concern over my LDL! However I know that the HDL and LDL are the wrong way round so was wondering if anybody had any tips on how I can reverse them. My latest Hba1c was 37 and I eat moderate carbs (approx 100 per day) and full fat.
Absolutely nothing "wrong" with your cholesterol results.They are great.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely nothing "wrong" with your cholesterol results.They are great.
Thanks - ironically she told me to keep eating the low fat diet so I smiled sweetly as I didn’t want to disillusion her!