Type 2 Pneumonia Recovery

Dadio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bordem
I seemed to have been diagnosed with pneumonia last week after having what started as a sniffle/sneezing then coughing and sweats. I’m just over one week after diagnosis.
My sugars were up to 22 a few days back now hovering around 11/14. My BP is 132/86 to 130/85 I haven’t been on my low carb and training for sometime so decided to return to low carb yesterday 1000cal day.
However I’m completely exhausted and wonder if it’s best practice to eat normal 2000cal until the pneumonia has passed and I’m feeling good enough to return to low carb and my training.
Or will the lower calories and carbs be helpful with recuperation.
Any medical buffs out there please feel free to comment.

Thanks in advance Dadio

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a medic - but I am a BSc - and a long time low carber so feel I should point out that there is no fundamental requirement for calorie restriction on low carb, and for many it is counter productive - with a diagnosis of pneumonia as a starting point I'd strongly advise against low calorie, or any sort of restrictive regime and against changing your carb intake drastically at this point - unless you have been eating way over what you know is a good level for your diabetes.
Ha - I obviously do not visualize carb control as restrictive,

Reactions: Guzzler and Dadio

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I seemed to have been diagnosed with pneumonia last week after having what started as a sniffle/sneezing then coughing and sweats. I’m just over one week after diagnosis.
My sugars were up to 22 a few days back now hovering around 11/14. My BP is 132/86 to 130/85 I haven’t been on my low carb and training for sometime so decided to return to low carb yesterday 1000cal day.
However I’m completely exhausted and wonder if it’s best practice to eat normal 2000cal until the pneumonia has passed and I’m feeling good enough to return to low carb and my training.
Or will the lower calories and carbs be helpful with recuperation.
Any medical buffs out there please feel free to comment.

Thanks in advance Dadio

I am not a medic, but I have had pneumonia 3 times. It can take a while to get your strength back. now is not the time to restrict your calories, your body needs all the help it can get to heal. All the best.

Reactions: Dadio

Dadio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bordem
Thanks guys this is what I’m reading I usually struggle eating lots and even when eating well I’ll be lucky to reach 1500.
Sometimes supplementing with protien to make it up.
Thanks for the advice.