Cereals And Diabetes

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.2005143

"Cornflakes & milk caused glucose elevation in the prediabetic range (>140 mg/dl) in 80% of individuals in our study. It is plausible that these commonly eaten foods might be adverse for the health of the majority of adults in the world population."

CGM monitors used in an RCT! - Will be interesting to see how Kelloggs put a lid on this.

Expect to see " research" showing that short term glocuse spikes are good for us all shortly !

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have not read it all but you are right, Kelloggs should be worried. Good to note that CGMs are not only changing lives for the better for those people with T1 but are providing great info that will no doubt be of use to those with metabolic syndrome and those who are non Diabetic. Good stuff.

P.S. The info on funding was good to see, also.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, the introduction of the Libre has effected a sea-change in how some research studies are operated and monitored, across all manner of conditions, including GD and pre-diabetes.

K

Knikki

I find that a mix of Cornflakes, Shreddies and some mixed fruit Muesli does infact cause a spike round 5 hours after eating it I find.

Blat some insulin in normally catches it.

Its a carb, it digests slowly it will spike you.

Or is this just an issue for T2's?

Reactions: kitedoc

Robrunner

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Interesting read, though in regards to the cornflakes and milk not really at all surpising. It isn't at all nutrient dense and would often want you craving more much like many high carb, high glycemic foods do. I am glad that they didn't find anything wrong with peanut butter otherwise I would have problems. :)

As Guzzler said very interesting to see who funded this. Often much research out there is funded by big organisations so when something goes against what there selling it will never see the light of day.

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Very Interesting, would also like to add the cost of CGM devices is disgusting, what a tool this could be, yet beyond the reach of most people who try and self fund. The data I have collected reference my BG levels I have always included a measure of variability just for interest , yes, I know, nerdy ( using Standard Deviation ) - periods where my BG is lower are also periods of lower variance, this type of analysis would be so powerful with a CGM- I wish I could afford one.

barbherod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting to note that one of the joint authors is actually called Kellogg!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that a mix of Cornflakes, Shreddies and some mixed fruit Muesli does infact cause a spike round 5 hours after eating it I find.

Blat some insulin in normally catches it.

Its a carb, it digests slowly it will spike you.

Or is this just an issue for T2's?

According to the study it's a problem for almost everyone diabetic or not...

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Interesting, in the context of at least 1 6 week long thread present at the moment.

K

Knikki

According to the study it's a problem for almost everyone diabetic or not...

OK fair enough but the sugar/carb content of breakfast cereals have been known about for years, so it's nothing really new and as this study was done in the US then the cornflakes used may have a higher content of such things, I don't think a particular brand was mentioned.

The study was interesting (need to finish reading it) because of the way CGM could show the rise of the BSL which is what Igot out of it. However breakfast cereals is one of the many things that could well be a problem with those that have a disposition to Diabetese especially T2D.

It is interesting granted but the issue with the foods used in the study is nothing new.

D

Deleted Account

To be honest, the introduction of the Libre has effected a sea-change in how some research studies are operated and monitored, across all manner of conditions, including GD and pre-diabetes.
Interesting article but I wonder how much Libre influenced and is taken in to consideration.
- There have been CGMs around for a number of years before the Libre was introduced. The difference is the price (and that it does not alert on its own) so research like this could be done.
- My understanding is the readings from interstitial fluid is less accurate when BG gets higher. With this in mind, how confident can we be that the average spike is really as high (or possibly higher) as the research concluded?

However, I am not disagreeing with a presumption that cereals could spike even people without diabetes ... just contemplating aloud whether the height of the spike was accurately measured.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
OK fair enough but the sugar/carb content of breakfast cereals have been known about for years, so it's nothing really new and as this study was done in the US then the cornflakes used may have a higher content of such things, I don't think a particular brand was mentioned.

The study was interesting (need to finish reading it) because of the way CGM could show the rise of the BSL which is what Igot out of it. However breakfast cereals is one of the many things that could well be a problem with those that have a disposition to Diabetese especially T2D.

It is interesting granted but the issue with the foods used in the study is nothing new.

It may not be new to anyone in the know but proof is a different matter altogether. After the recent HFW programme aired on national TV and showing Kellogg's reluctance wrt to highlighted labeling then the findings will be interesting and could possibly affect choices made by society as a whole. Baby steps.

Reactions: Knikki

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
oh no. My son has food issues (aspergers) and has two bowls of cornflakes and full fat milk a day as his staple breakfast and supper - but without any sugar. He doesnt like sweet foods at all. (and yes, I do know that carbs are sugars, please bear with me, this is important to his wellbeing) I dont know what he would eat instead. Feeding him is a challenge at the best of times, he has so many flavour and texture issues, is slim and his blood sugar levels are fine so far.

K

Knikki

After the recent HFW programme aired on national TV and showing Kellogg's reluctance wrt to highlighted labeling then the findings will be interesting and could possibly affect choices made by society as a whole..

Arh! I see it, makes more sense now, and why Kellogs was mentioned in the first post.

Thanks.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
[ E="Knikki, post: 1844022, member: 479658"]Arh! I see it, makes more sense now, and why Kellogs was mentioned in the first post.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
You're welcome.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting article but I wonder how much Libre influenced and is taken in to consideration.
- There have been CGMs around for a number of years before the Libre was introduced. The difference is the price (and that it does not alert on its own) so research like this could be done.
- My understanding is the readings from interstitial fluid is less accurate when BG gets higher. With this in mind, how confident can we be that the average spike is really as high (or possibly higher) as the research concluded?

However, I am not disagreeing with a presumption that cereals could spike even people without diabetes ... just contemplating aloud whether the height of the spike was accurately measured.

The cost is definitely the game changer, especially as, in the instances I know of personally, one of the recruitment criteria for subjects was the ability to scan from a phone, so readers weren't even involved. One furrther study that I know of, the participants weren't even looking at the scans, they were scanning and sharing with the researches, so effectively they were blind.

There surely hasn't even been a time when that level of 24/7 data has been available for under £20 a week (at NHS costs). The spikes recorded will be correct in some, and possibly less correct in others, but by comparison to finger prick testing, it's surely a game-changer. (rhetorical).

Edited to remove some stray rrrrrrrrrrs. Sticky keyboard on that machine.

Last edited:

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
The issues with cornflake on those with bg problem are:

1) it is puffed up cereal (high in carb and high in gi)
2) for normal active people it is ok, for those with bg problem it will quickly put bg in high range
3) depending on how serious the bg problem is, some may not even be able to tolerate 10g of carb at a sitting (irregardless of the gi)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I wasted an incredible amount of time trying to find the area in hte article where they actually listed the standardized meals in the study

I also didn't find the word Kelloggs

Kelloggs uses GMO grains and adds sugar (2d. ingredient) so I don't purchase it ever, plus:

Ingredients: Corn (88%), sugar, salt, barley malt extract, vitamins (vitamin C, vitamin E, niacin, riboflavin, thiamin, folate), minerals (iron, zinc oxide).

24 grams carbs before you get to the milk, and people often add sugar to it
One thinks cornflakes one thinks Kellogg's. Arguably the worlds most successful breakfast cereal manufacturer. Where they go others follow.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
The GI value of 'Cornflakes" ? brand from mendosa.com is 86 +/- 6. So no surprises as I see it, even if the milk might bring the GI value down a bit.