Type 2 Is There Any Bread I Can Eat While On Lchf Diet?

DeVallette

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I know I should leave bread alone while on the LCHF diet. But due to certain medical conditions, I need to eat soft food - had to have all my teeth removed, and a tracheotomy that has made chewing and swallowing a lot of food a bit difficult.

I have given up on my other 'loves', such as potatoes, rice, pasta, cakes, sugar etc., and just bought a NutriBullet Balance to replace my lack of vegetables - another problem food area.

But my question is this, is there any bread that I can buy which safely falls into the LCHF diet? I'm currently eating wholemeal but unable to touch 'nutty, grainy, oaty' loaves for the above reasons.

Oh...I meant to say, I'm unable to stand up and bake my own bread, I'm on four wheels.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Try looking at Dietdoctor.com or YouTube for Keto bread/Oopsie bread recipes. There are lower carb breads on the market such as HiLo and Burgen but they may be a bit chewy for you. Good Luck.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I know I should leave bread alone while on the LCHF diet. But due to certain medical conditions, I need to eat soft food - no teeth, and a tracheotomy that has made chewing and swallowing a lot of food.

I have given up on my other 'loves', such as potatoes, rice, pasta, cakes etc., and just bought a NutriBullet Balance to replace my lack of vegetables - another problem food area.

But my question is, is there any bread that I can buy which safely falls into the LCHF diet? I'm currently eating wholemeal but unable to touch 'nutty and grainy' loaves for the above reasons.

Many thanks.
Hi and welcome, I buy Livlife a seeded bread available from Waitrose. The slices are a bit smaller than regular bread but per slice its 3.8g carbs.
I have also this week made a low carb almond flour bread, very quick and easy to make and when it has a nice layer of butter it tastes fine, probably even nicer toasted, its very light in texture.
The recipe can be found here https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/low-carb-almond-flour-bread/

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Ooops! Didn't notice that this was your first post so hello and welcome to the forum. Tagging @daisy1 for the info pack offered to all newcomers.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I make 90 second bread - 30g almond flour, a beaten egg and plenty of salt and pepper; mix together in a rectangular takeaway container and nuke for 90 seconds. It’s quite soft and only 3g carbs. It’s good dry fried for a more toasty experience.

Turnips are a good potato substitute at only 2% carb, and make a good chip as well as mash :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@DeVallette

Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I know I should leave bread alone while on the LCHF diet. But due to certain medical conditions, I need to eat soft food - had to have all my teeth removed, and a tracheotomy that has made chewing and swallowing a lot of food a bit difficult.

I have given up on my other 'loves', such as potatoes, rice, pasta, cakes, sugar etc., and just bought a NutriBullet Balance to replace my lack of vegetables - another problem food area.

But my question is this, is there any bread that I can buy which safely falls into the LCHF diet? I'm currently eating wholemeal but unable to touch 'nutty, grainy, oaty' loaves for the above reasons.

Oh...I meant to say, I'm unable to stand up and bake my own bread, I'm on four wheels.

Many thanks.
I eat bread. I eat wholemeal bread. Low carb is under 100-130g of carb a day. I cant eat nutty grainy bread for other reasons to you, but some bread, I find, is essential for my overall wellbeing. Sometimes we have to weigh up entire health issues, not just one of them.

Welcome to the forum.

I have a SD codefree blood glucose meter I bought myself to check that a couple of slices of bread a day is OK for my blood sugar levels. Are you on any meds for your diabetes?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Many thanks.
PS I just noticed you are on insulin. Have you been low carbing for long?

brianmt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat a slice now and again ( great for a bacon sandwich) of Kingsmill no crusts wholmeal, <8gms carb per slice. I also keep it in the freezer so with a bit of luck some of the carbs will have turned to resistant starch. :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I prefer to make my own low carb "bread" either from scratch with ground almonds or sesame flour so are easy on the (lack of) teeth, or using Sukrin or (would you believe!) Ugg low carb bread mixes. I sometimes buy ready made Livlife which tastes fine but IMO is like chewing rubber bands so I'm not too sure how you might cope with it, or rarely the more expensive CarbZone low carb protein bread. Both are available from Ocado. The mixes and these two loaves all contain some seeds and/or nuts though.

Robbity

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could have Burgen Soya and Linseed bread a lot here have that it is low carb and most of the supermarkets sell it
Like lucylocket61 I to have a small wholemeal loaf because I do not like seedy bread I freeze it and eat a couple of slices of that usually toasted maybe once or twice a week because I like poached or scrambled eggs on toast and the slices are so small and thin it hardly raises my BG. My personal choice is Kingsmill "No Crusts" wholemeal loaf

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have Tesco’s High protein bread or Hovis low carb - one slice is enough particularly when loaded with filling or toasted with eggs.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I noticed you said you can't eat a seedy/rough bread. Try Hovis high protein bread or Morrisons own high protein bread, they are both smooth and have no seeds or "rough bits" -both about 8 - 9carbs per slice.

I agree with @lucylocket61 that we all have to find what works for us and take into account our own individual needs - I eat both these breads and the Tesco one every day - 2 slices and I eat between 70 - 80g carb daily. You will know what you can tolerate blood sugar wise by testing and "eating to your meter"

Welcome to the forum :)

Edit to add when I say I eat these breads every day obviously I don't mean all of them! Lol - just one or two slices a day :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I do eat some breads mostly Kingsmill Wholemeal No Crusts which according to Tesco's site have 7.4 carbs per slice.

DeVallette

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys

I just want to thank everybody who 'chipped' in with their reply and personal experiences. Much appreciated. Have to apologise for late reply. Personal stuff and health issues. So can only reply when I can. You've all given me so much to think about. I like the idea of Tesco, Morrisons and Hovis Protein bread. Am also tempted by Kingsmill Wholemeal. I suppose at the end of the day as long as you are getting your daily vits and minerals, veg and some fruit, and you stick to below 80-90 Carbs a day, you can be forgiven for allowing yourself that little treat.

Someone asked how long have I been carbing, a couple of months at the most, but I'm enjoying it, and enjoying the challenge. I do not miss my 'BAD' fave food I used to eat, the comfort foods, sausage rolls, pasties, pies, cakes etc. I can say hand on heart, I do not miss them and feel so good without them. I spend my money in other ways now, a new freezer for my ice cubes, for the new NutriBullet Balance gadget you operate with an iPhone, a steamer, a new scales. Should I buy a bread maker? Hmmm! Let me try all your wonderful suggestions first.

Finally, I was asked what meds am I on, a lot. But for diabetes I'm on Metformin, and a Liraglutide Insulin daily injection.

Thank you once again, to all of you guys. If I don't get the forum protocol right, then please forgive me and do tell me. But I really enjoy being part of you all. I don't feel so alone anymore.