Insulin/carb Ratio.

gb350

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Am really struggling at the moment with an insulin to carb ratio of approximately 1 unit of novorapid to every 3G of carb. Type 1 for over 40 yrs now so well used to the ups and downs of diabetes but this is new to me.
Anyone else ever had this kind of ratio?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine isn't quite that, mine is 1:5, but when I got sent on the CHOICE course (my areas version of the DAFNE course) recently, one person there was on 1:2

Reactions: Rich92

gb350

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine isn't quite that, mine is 1:5, but when I got sent on the CHOICE course (my areas version of the DAFNE course) recently, one person there was on 1:2
Nice to know I’m not totally on my own here then. Going through novorapid pens at a rate of knots. I’ve got 50 units a day of lantus backing this up as well. Cheers for quick reply.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hi,
Am really struggling at the moment with an insulin to carb ratio of approximately 1 unit of novorapid to every 3G of carb. Type 1 for over 40 yrs now so well used to the ups and downs of diabetes but this is new to me.
Anyone else ever had this kind of ratio?

Mine are different throughout the day, and dependant on bg levels to start with. Im also noticing a different ratio when I get my steps in (thanks Santa for the fitbit). The heat's a pain too...feel like im flying by the somp at the moment...

Reactions: gb350

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice to know I’m not totally on my own here then. Going through novorapid pens at a rate of knots. I’ve got 50 units a day of lantus backing this up as well. Cheers for quick reply.
Hi. What is your BMI? Do you have excess weight? I'm thinking insulin resistance?

gb350

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. What is your BMI? Do you have excess weight? I'm thinking insulin resistance?
Hi,
My bmi is fine. I’m 6ft and around 13 stone. I also do a manual job and my step count hits 10,000 most days so it’s not that.
I’m definitely getting increased resistance but not sure why.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Gb350 thank goodness its not just me on silly ratios. I keep reading threads where people are 1:15 or taking about 5 units a day.

Type 1 for 37 years and my breakfast ratio is Novo rapid 1:4, but think I need to take that to 1:3. Lunch and dinner is still 1:5. I am also packing in shed load of Levemir, 20 units in morning and 26 in evening. Until recently I was on lantus but that doseage was slightly less at 34 units a day

I am a little overweight so been on low carbing for a few months now and its working almost a stone wu hu

gb350

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Gb350 thank goodness its not just me on silly ratios. I keep reading threads where people are 1:15 or taking about 5 units a day.

Type 1 for 37 years and my breakfast ratio is Novo rapid 1:4, but think I need to take that to 1:3. Lunch and dinner is still 1:5. I am also packing in shed load of Levemir, 20 units in morning and 26 in evening. Until recently I was on lantus but that doseage was slightly less at 34 units a day

I am a little overweight so been on low carbing for a few months now and its working almost a stone wu hu
Thanks for your reply.
Well done you for dropping a stone. I’ve also started low carbing mainly in order to reduce the ridiculous amounts of insulin I’m putting into myself. My ratios have been closer to 1: 4 today and I’m grateful to know there are others in the same ballpark.
I’m generally eating about 200g of carb a day now. Yesterday this needed 66 units of novorapid. Today it was 56 units. Different starting points and various corrections en route but every day is an adventure even after 40 yrs of it.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was eating about 250g of carbs but have now virtually stopped taking potatoes, rice, pasta and bread so my carbs are down to about 100 g per day. As a result my Nono rapid intake has halved although my Levemir has stayed the same.

I also now have a libre so I am constantly checking and if necessary adjusting insulin. My BG as a result have also improved.

As you say every day is an adventure

I just hate the inconsistency of it all. Great day yesterday 5.2---7.7 from 7 am to 10.30 pm my best day in a while. WEent to bed with a 5.9 and have woken this morning to a 11.9 ***

Reactions: gb350