Insulin dose per carbs

finn99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
From my experience carb counting really helps me control my bG because I can generally get the amount of insulin right. I really recommend the book 'Carbs & Cals' by Chris Cheyette and Yello Balolia, it has values of carbs for TONS of different foods and has really helped me stabilise my blood sugars! :)

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

wadings1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, does weather affects glucose level? I am a type 1 diabetic patient, my glucose level has been under control not until recently I noticed serious changes this summer as the weather gets too warm, my glucose level has been so high despite maintaining my foods and insulin dosage. I even increase dosage by 2-3 units but still can't get the desired result what is happening? Is anyone having the same experience? I am using Novorapid and Lantus solostar.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, does weather affects glucose level? I am a type 1 diabetic patient, my glucose level has been under control not until recently I noticed serious changes this summer as the weather gets too warm, my glucose level has been so high despite maintaining my foods and insulin dosage. I even increase dosage by 2-3 units but still can't get the desired result what is happening? Is anyone having the same experience? I am using Novorapid and Lantus solostar.

Yes the weather has contributed to higher levels for me too. Upped my Toujeo basal by a unit in the end. Which has had a positive effect. Just need to be ready for the crash when the weather changes.

lmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Totally agree @Robkww . So many times professionals assume we know everything and we don't ask because we assume they tell us everything. I was 20 yrs in before I knew what ketones were. It is ludicrous.
@jordanneshort . 16 yrs on fixed dose is wrong you should be top of the list for a course. You deserve some help and back up.
Start making some NOISE !!!!!!!!!!!
I think they stopped doing carb counting for some reason and then brought it back. I have met younger diabetes who did not know how to carb count and then were taught years later.

I've been type 1 since I was six an have been on a fixed dose ever since, they've mentioned about the dafne course so I think that's what I'll go with as my blood sugars aren't the greatest with the foods I eat and stuff I've never really understood

I’ve been a diabetic since I was five and I struggled with it too. The carb counting confuses me too. You’re not the only one lol

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forum, you will find many great people on here all very friendly and helpful

You can get an app for your phone carbs and cals, i think its called. You have to buy it but its not expensive.

I use one called fatsecrets, which is free and the website www.fatsecret.co.uk/

These sites give great info about carb portions.

After that its really going to be a bit of effort in determining what your carb to insulin ratio is. When I started the DAFNE course we all started on 1 unit of insulin to 10g of carbs. Then its just a case o testing to see how your BG levels are, maybe testing every 2 hours. If your BG goes higher than the starting point it could mean you need to increase your dose, maybe 1 unit of insulin to 8g of carbs or if your BG is dropping go the other way 1 unit to 12g of carbs. Do you have a Libre

I assume you will be on a bolus dose for meals then maybe a basal dose, once or twice a day as background insulin. It is also important to get the basal dose correct.Once the basal dose is correct, you are then simply matching your food intake to your bolus dose

Does any of that make sense so far