Pump set coming unstuck when I sweat or swim. Advice please?

Kitten13

Hi All

I've been on the Medtronic 640g for a little over a year now, and mostly I love it. I am going to Greece in a couple of weeks to visit my parents, and last time I was there (~1 week after getting the pump) my cannulas would just come unstuck within about 4-5 hours due to the heat or immediately if I went for a swim. After changing sets 4-5 times in the first 2 days, I gave up and went back on insulin injections for the remainder of my trip.

Back in the UK they are mostly fine, but still sometimes come off when I sweat excessively - e.g. when I go out for a run, or work particularly hard at the gym, or if I go for a swim (< 30 minutes duration). This is fine, and I am happy to keep an eye on them and replace when I get home in these situations.

I've been looking into ways to get them to adhere better, as I really don't want the same problem during my trip to Greece this summer, and if I could get them to stick on whilst I run etc, then that would be brilliant too. I've tried preparing the site with an alcohol swab and using anti-perspirant, which helps a little but doesn't seem to do enough to stop this completely so won't be strong enough for Greece, I imagine.

I've been advised to get some Skin Tac by my DN, but she has no idea where to get this from. I can only find it online from America or via a website called MG Healthcare which looks distinctly unprofessional! I've also seen a recommendation on here for tincture of benzoine as a similar product, but can only seem to find that being sold as a herbal remedy for coughs/colds so I'm not sure if it's the right thing. I've tried Tegaderm dressings over the cannula but that lasted about 5 minutes before it peeled up and got stuck on itself and my clothes.

Does anyone have any bright ideas on what I could use to help my sets stick? I don't mind changing them daily for the holiday, but multiple times a day is too much! Not sweating or swimming isn't an option either, it's going to be well over 35 degrees whilst I'm there! Advice, personal recommendations or links to where to buy any products from would really help me out.

Thanks so much.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's lots of skin tac avalable on Amazon. I've not used it myself but I'm sure there will be forum users along who can give you some tips on where they get skin tac.

I tend to just fasten my cannula down with some knesio tape if it's been in for a couple of days and I'm about to go for a run. It's not a terribly elegant solution, but it does secure the cannula in.

Reactions: LizzieNI

Annamay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey, I'm on the same pump, and was getting annoyed by this on hols too, although didn't happen as frequently as for you. I tried sticking a large plaster over the cannula which was ok.

There's different surgical tapes on the Medtronic website (just search 'tape') and you should be able to add them to your order for supplies.

And I found some descriptions of different types of tape here: http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/howto/tapetips.shtml

Good luck! Let us know if you find a good solution.

Reactions: gemma_T1

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Skin tac, surgical tape, iv3000. Also which set do you use? I found sure ts the worst for this silhouette were much better

Maguedis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,
Have you got a solution for this case? I’m also going to swim in the Red Sea and was looking forward for something to make it stuck more

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use Skin Tac for my Dexcom and its fine for swimming but not for my cannula's, bought from Amazon.

I have an Insight Pump and never had issues with losing cannula's in pool or sea water.

D

Deleted Account

I've been advised to get some Skin Tac by my DN, but she has no idea where to get this from.
I use SkinTac as a kind of barrier because my cannulas itch.
These are provided by the pump manufacturer (Animas ... at the moment) as part of my supplies.
Perhaps you could talk to Medronic.

Reactions: porl69

dje55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there,

There's a cheap alternative to skin tac available in most uk pharmacies. It's called Friar's Balsam. Used mainly as an inhaled decongestant, it's also used in hospitals for sticking dressings to sweaty or sensitive skin. I used it in soaring temperatures in Italy last year and was brilliant. Down side is it's brown and discolours the dressing and it has a peculiar medical/herbal smell!

Hope that helps x

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
AKA tincture of benzoin.
Lovely smell!
I'm a great advocate for it, both for skin and chest.