Metformin

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Marcus1234 pleased you enjoyed your holidays but sorry coming back to reality has been a bit much. I think a few things are worth considering
- when you start reducing carbs you need to take it a bit slowly and then work your way down. It could be this that’s contributing to how you feel so maybe take it a bit slower on carb reduction but do keep going!
- do consider the Metformin - are you building it up slowly? It may be that again this needs to be done slowly please do talk to the dr about it as slow release may help. You may also find that over time you don’t need Metformin if you can control with diet.
- you need more energy from fats as you reduce your carbs to make you feel better. If you’re worried about your cholesterol then why not focus on the Mediterranean fats which most people know put up your good cholesterol the HDL type of cholesterol so they will be improving your cholesterol not making it worse. Olive oil, fatty fish, nuts, advocados etc will help. Cholesterol is quite a complex subject and there is increasing evidence that it isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Mine did go up but has now started to settle again and I also eat a range of saturated fats and full fat dairy. Low fat with low carb is very hard to do in my opinion
- stress and anxiety is Central I think to how you manage your diabetes and you need to look at how you manage this - could you ask for some help with this or do you have any methods like mindfulness you can use?
Hope this helps Marcus you will get through this difficult anxious time try to make some time for relaxation and take things more slowly one step at a time you will get there.
Thank you for the information Shelly262
Before I was diagnosed I was suffering the symptoms I've described and was eating anything at this point.
When I got my diagnosis I tried to reduce my carbs slowly, which I continue to do.
I drink on average 3 litres of water a day and I love salt on my food, yet when I eat anything, I start immediately with headaches, dizziness, light headedness and extreme fatigue and this can last for hours.
I didn't think metformin or slow reduction in carbs would cause this. My diet is far from perfect, yet I am getting to a point where I'm nervous about eating anything because of what happens.
I will persist with the diet and look at the Mediterranean diet and see if symptoms improve.
To date my symptoms are only getting worse and not better.
Thanks again for the advice.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the information Shelly262
Before I was diagnosed I was suffering the symptoms I've described and was eating anything at this point.
When I got my diagnosis I tried to reduce my carbs slowly, which I continue to do.
I drink on average 3 litres of water a day and I love salt on my food, yet when I eat anything, I start immediately with headaches, dizziness, light headedness and extreme fatigue and this can last for hours.
I didn't think metformin or slow reduction in carbs would cause this. My diet is far from perfect, yet I am getting to a point where I'm nervous about eating anything because of what happens.
I will persist with the diet and look at the Mediterranean diet and see if symptoms improve.
To date my symptoms are only getting worse and not better.
Thanks again for the advice.
Take care and do go back to dr to discuss your symptoms as it could be a range of things - we are not medical professionals we can only speak about what has worked from our perspective so do go back to get checked.

Reactions: Marcus1234

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Take care and do go back to dr to discuss your symptoms as it could be a range of things - we are not medical professionals we can only speak about what has worked from our perspective so do go back to get checked.
I think another trip to my doctor's is probably needed because no one on the forum seems to be having the same symptoms as me.
Thanks again shelly262