Type 2 Latest Blood Test - Disappointed

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Haemoglobin A1c level - IFCC standardised 39 mmol/mol [20 - 41] Same as last time.
Thought it would be lower.

Cholesterol (fasting)
Serum cholesterol level 7.1 mmol/L
Serum triglyceride levels 1 mmol/L [0.4 - 1.5]
Serum LDL cholesterol level 4.4 mmol/L
Serum HDL cholesterol level 2.2 mmol/L
Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 3.2 mmol/mmol

Note
Examination: GPPAQ physical activity index: inactive
Diagnosis: Not employed
Physical exercise: None
Cycling: None
Walking: >=3h
Housework/childcare: >=3h
Gardening/DIY: >=1h but <3h

Body mass index - observation 24.22 Kg/m²
height 1.5 m (4 ' 11 ")
weight 54.5 Kg (8 st 8 lb)
Ideal body weight - Lemmens formula 49.5 Kg (7 st 11 lb) This does not take into account all the loose skin on my body.

To say I'm disappointed is an under statement. I seem to be going backwarads.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks pretty good to me.. non pre diabetes HbA1c, almost at your perfect weight and amazing Trig HDL ratio.
I would say that's worthy of some celebration?

Reactions: Prem51

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker Thank you for your kind words.

I don't know how I have put on 6lbs, thinking I have increased bone/muscle on my legs by walking at least 10,000 steps per day. That's the only thing I can think of because I am definitely not eating anything I shouldn't, in fact I have decreased my portions even more but I'm not losing weight

Also on my blood test were these results but I don't think they are anything to worry about, do you?
Neutrophil count 1.1 10^9/L [2 - 7.5] - Below low reference limit (seems to be something with autoimmune system, I have an under-active thyroid)
Serum creatinine level 42 umol/L [45 - 84] - Below low reference limit
Total white blood count 2.9 10^9/L [4 - 11] - Below low reference limit

Seeing the DN on 9th August that should be interesting.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would be happy with those cholesterol results.

I don't understand the 2nd lot of results you have posted so I can't comment on those.

Well done! You are not going backwards, we expect to keep on progressing with better and better figures, that's often not the reality though. You are doing fine, give yourself a pat on the back. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't understand why you are disappointed. I think it is a good result. :)
Your HbA1c is non-diabetic and stable. What did you expect/hope it would be? Do you keep rigorous records of your own blood testing before and after meals and work out averages?

Your white blood cell results indicate a lower than desired immune system. Low neutrophils put you at risk of infections. It is called neutropenia. It can also cause a low white blood cell count, which you also report. Have they always been low, or just on this last test?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @carol43 i can imagine it’s hard after achieving improving figures to get some which are not improved but they are still very very good and you should be proud. Had you not been low carb there is no doubt they would have been worse not better.
Why not use a free app like mysugr to record your bgs as you take them so you can see how it’s going? Or did you do this @nd get a higher figure than predicted?
Notice too you mention a thyroid issue and that probably complicates things especially re the weight but again you are in the bmi normal range and as you say this could reflect muscle growth as you are increasing your walking.
Your cholesterol ratios too are very good I take great comfort from some scientific study - ought to find and bookmark it so can read regularly! - that women of a certain age like me tend to live longer with higher cholesterol so something hopefully to comfort you too.
Remember how well your doing with a diagnosis hbaca1 of 97 in 2015 you’ve come a long way achieved normal figures and kept them that way all credit to you.

knoxy55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anything to do with birds or feathers, whether to look at or eat.
Haemoglobin A1c level - IFCC standardised 39 mmol/mol [20 - 41] Same as last time.
Thought it would be lower.

Cholesterol (fasting)
Serum cholesterol level 7.1 mmol/L
Serum triglyceride levels 1 mmol/L [0.4 - 1.5]
Serum LDL cholesterol level 4.4 mmol/L
Serum HDL cholesterol level 2.2 mmol/L
Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 3.2 mmol/mmol

Note
Examination: GPPAQ physical activity index: inactive
Diagnosis: Not employed
Physical exercise: None
Cycling: None
Walking: >=3h
Housework/childcare: >=3h
Gardening/DIY: >=1h but <3h

Body mass index - observation 24.22 Kg/m²
height 1.5 m (4 ' 11 ")
weight 54.5 Kg (8 st 8 lb)
Ideal body weight - Lemmens formula 49.5 Kg (7 st 11 lb) This does not take into account all the loose skin on my body.

To say I'm disappointed is an under statement. I seem to be going backwarads.

I know how you feel just had a surprise HA1C blood test when having other blood work done. Mine was up by 2 points to 42. On the other side I dropped a one of my tablets and only on 1 Metformin. Will have the yearly testing done in October and hopefully it will be down. We can comfort each other in the meantime. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I think you are doing well although I can't say I understand all the results but your HbA1C is really good as for weight I think we all seem to gain a bit then loose a bit of weight I know I do. Recently I went up to 8st 5lb from being under 8 stone for ages now I am down to 8st 1lb and I have not changed anything.
Seems like you get a more detailed printout of results than we do so I don't understand most of yours. My husband is T2 as well as me neither of us have ever been overweight so we do not get weighed at our reviews our printout just shows what our HbA1C is the kidney and liver function results and the total cholesterol number it doesn't give the breakdown of that

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802 Last time these were tested was 26 July 2017 and the figures are about the same. So really nothing has changed and nothing was said by the nurse.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802 Last time these were tested was 26 July 2017 and the figures are about the same. So really nothing has changed and nothing was said by the nurse.

For some people this is their natural level. I only know about neutrophils because when I was on chemo mine dropped to 0.1 and I was sent immediately to the medical assessment unit at the hospital and put on an IV antibiotic drip. This was a side effect of the chemo, which not only killed off the cancer cells but also attacked the bone marrow which produces the neuts and white blood cells. Once mine got back up to 1.0 they released me. Yours are nowhere near as low as that, and may be due to your thyroid problems, certain medications, or may be your natural level. I would discuss this with your nurse/GP if you are worried.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@carol43 - Is there any one particular test you find disappointing, or is it in general?

I seem to recall somewhere you talking about acquiring and supplementing your T3; did that begin within this period from the last test to this? The thyroid is deeply implcated with metabolism.

(As a matter of interest, is your T3 on private prescription, or do you import it? If it's the latter, please don't publish the details on the open forum.)

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUK I have been taking T3 for a couple of years now. Private blood test showed that I do not convert T4 to T3 which means that my metabolism wasn't working properly (I think this is how it works) I got help from HeatlthUnlocked thyroid forum who were helpful, like this site. GP is OK with me taking T3. I get the tablets from abroad via the thyroid forum. I have another private blood test result to come in a few days time.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUK I have been taking T3 for a couple of years now. Private blood test showed that I do not convert T4 to T3 which means that my metabolism wasn't working properly (I think this is how it works) I got help from HeatlthUnlocked thyroid forum who were helpful, like this site. GP is OK with me taking T3. I get the tablets from abroad via the thyroid forum. I have another private blood test result to come in a few days time.

Ah - Thanks for that. I thought you would likely be using HealthUnlocked (another fab resource). I remembered your saying your Doc was happy with you supplementing, but couldn't recall if he/she was prescribing on a private script for you.

It's just so irritating that the NHS is so resistant to actually testing anything other than TSH, which is a bit like total cholesterol, in terms of it's usefulness.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod
The GP I saw was very open to me taking it and asked how much I paid and was amazed that I only paid £40 including postage for 6 month supply. It is now on my record.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod
The GP I saw was very open to me taking it and asked how much I paid and was amazed that I only paid £40 including postage for 6 month supply. It is now on my record.

That's very good.

My next lot of testing, in six weeks (just had one done on Tuesday), the Doc has specified every thyroide test she could find on the system, in an attempt to have anything in addition to TSH done (now that I'm back in TSH range), but as my T4 levels have always been borderline too, when actually done , I'm keen to know how it's doing on the Levo.

I have agreed I'll have this next lot done (as I'm feeling very, very well a the moment), and if they haven't done it again, I'll have some private testing done, which she is happy to work with and if necessary refer back to the Endo, on their online Q&A system. I'm totally fine if I end up having to do as you do, provided I don't lose GP goodwill and communication over it.

I'm also having parathyroid testing done this time around as my bone profile hasn't improved, even having got my Vit D back up to 101, after an unexpected plummeting from a naturally acieve 90 to 21. I'm not expecting anything to come of that, as either of the most likely source of any hypoparathyroidism does feature as being likely in my case.

We'll see. It's all a game to be well. The things we learn. :)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you're being too hard on yourself, all your numbers are great and stable - winner!

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod
The person who was helping me on the thyroid forum advised me to take selenium, magnesium & K2 MK-7

Reactions: DCUKMod