Ivf

Lucielu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Has anyone gone through or going through IVF. Would love some advice please with if the meds affect your levels etc? Thanks

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sorry I have no answers but just wanted to wish you all the luck in the world.

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
@Lucielu I have been through 4 cycles so far (3 fresh, 1 frozen - 1 of them successful, our son will be 2 next month) and didn't find the drugs affected my sugars. I have to say though I was put on steroids the last 2 times and obviously steroids are tricky and I had to increase basal and bolus both quite a lot.
If you have any specific questions please just give me a shout if you want and I try to help (if I can remember, it's been in 2015 that we cycled fresh). I wish you huge good luck and hope you have a positive outcome!! xx

Reactions: CranberryIce

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi,

Has anyone gone through or going through IVF. Would love some advice please with if the meds affect your levels etc? Thanks
I wasn't diagnosed when I paid privately for ivf in 1998. However I was on metformin for PCOS but the professor asked me to sto it. I added over 2st whilst in the cycle implanting embryos was very very difficult. No metformin does that to me.
No insulin or diagnosis and at 15.5stones allowed due to underactive thyroid.
No pregnancy arose due to poor implantation of 3 embryos.

Fast forward 8yrs later and I fell pregnant naturally, diabetic and on metformin only. Changed to MDI throughout both successful pregnancies.
Best times of my life so now on MDI for maintenance of my type2 diabetes doesn't upset me. In fact better control than without insulin.
I know my experience is old but if you think I can help further, let me know.
The most important thing is to keep stressfree as much as possible, for success.

Lucielu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Lucielu I have been through 4 cycles so far (3 fresh, 1 frozen - 1 of them successful, our son will be 2 next month) and didn't find the drugs affected my sugars. I have to say though I was put on steroids the last 2 times and obviously steroids are tricky and I had to increase basal and bolus both quite a lot.
If you have any specific questions please just give me a shout if you want and I try to help (if I can remember, it's been in 2015 that we cycled fresh). I wish you huge good luck and hope you have a positive outcome!! xx

Thank you for your reply. I’m so nervous. My HAB1c was 48 ( due to quite a lot of hypos but dr doesn’t know that) and told me it’s to high and to get it down to 45. I was surprised as I thought 48 was good so trying to be so so strict. I’ve cut out alcohol aswell. Just so so nervous to start it all.

Lucielu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I wasn't diagnosed when I paid privately for ivf in 1998. However I was on metformin for PCOS but the professor asked me to sto it. I added over 2st whilst in the cycle implanting embryos was very very difficult. No metformin does that to me.
No insulin or diagnosis and at 15.5stones allowed due to underactive thyroid.
No pregnancy arose due to poor implantation of 3 embryos.

Fast forward 8yrs later and I fell pregnant naturally, diabetic and on metformin only. Changed to MDI throughout both successful pregnancies.
Best times of my life so now on MDI for maintenance of my type2 diabetes doesn't upset me. In fact better control than without insulin.
I know my experience is old but if you think I can help further, let me know.
The most important thing is to keep stressfree as much as possible, for success.

So was it the drugs that made you gain the weight?
I’m really sorry to hear that :(

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
So was it the drugs that made you gain the weight?
I’m really sorry to hear that :(
Some do but mine was from no metformin (appetite suppressant) too. I started adding as soon as I started the cycle. Inhaler stops all hormones so injecting developer is less confusing. I felt really well whilst injecting. Then the month of waiting. A biod test to confirm a pregnancy was done then a period turned up.
I'm sure more aid nowadays available

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Thank you for your reply. I’m so nervous. My HAB1c was 48 ( due to quite a lot of hypos but dr doesn’t know that) and told me it’s to high and to get it down to 45. I was surprised as I thought 48 was good so trying to be so so strict. I’ve cut out alcohol aswell. Just so so nervous to start it all.

I understand honestly. I was incredibly nervous as well but once we got going I felt fine and it was (technically) easier than I thought. I didn't drink alcohol, didn't have anything with caffeine in it, had a lot of protein in food and took quite a few supplements in my successful cycle. Yes, be prepared to put on some weight - I think it happens to most ladies going through IVF - I did put on a bit (and wasn't the smallest person to start with).
Which clinic are you with if you don't mind me asking?

Lucielu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I understand honestly. I was incredibly nervous as well but once we got going I felt fine and it was (technically) easier than I thought. I didn't drink alcohol, didn't have anything with caffeine in it, had a lot of protein in food and took quite a few supplements in my successful cycle. Yes, be prepared to put on some weight - I think it happens to most ladies going through IVF - I did put on a bit (and wasn't the smallest person to start with).
Which clinic are you with if you don't mind me asking?

Hi. Sorry I’ve only just seen this.
Did you cut out caffeine once you started stimms or before? I haven’t drink alcohol for about 3 months. I’m starting in 3 weeks. Im in Cardiff xx

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders

48 is fine to start with. You can work on getting it lower over time (don't put additional stress on yourself). Are you wearing a libre? That will definitely help in keeping an eye on everything.
I haven't really had any alcohol for the last few years ;-). And I don't miss it to be honest. You'll be totally fine, try and don't stress yourself with thinking about starting treatment - I know a lot of people who have been successful first time round :)! Do you know when you'll be starting? We're just about to book flights to go out to Norway next month for another fresh cycle, eeek. I'm nervous but more due to the fact that we have to organise a whole trip abroad around treatment lol. We can be IVF sisters - fingers crossed for both of us :)

Reactions: CranberryIce

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was advised 48 or below is safe for pregnancy. If you can get it lower without any nasty hypos then the lower the better..

I have been approved funding for one round of IvF too. Would be great to hear your experiences of trying to manage diabetes with all the drugs we have to take.

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
I was advised 48 or below is safe for pregnancy. If you can get it lower without any nasty hypos then the lower the better..

I have been approved funding for one round of IvF too. Would be great to hear your experiences of trying to manage diabetes with all the drugs we have to take.

I remember I was concerned about it too with the drugs and how they might affect sugars. It was totally fine for me and believe me - I had a LOAD to take LOL. Only thing which was tricky was the steroids I was taking in cycle 3 & 4. Other than that it didn't affect my diabetes. I kept a close eye on stuff anyway with my libre so that did help I guess.
Congrats on getting a funded round! And good luck xx