Metallic Taste In Mouth

emmamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone help I've woke up tonight which is the first time with a metallic taste in my mouth , I'm on a tablet I can't remember name it's metformin and another that makes you are sugar, it's the first time I've woke up with this amongst feeling very sickly and the added bonus of it been far to hot anyone else had this? Any help greatly received Emma.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone help I've woke up tonight which is the first time with a metallic taste in my mouth , I'm on a tablet I can't remember name it's metformin and another that makes you are sugar, it's the first time I've woke up with this amongst feeling very sickly and the added bonus of it been far to hot anyone else had this? Any help greatly received Emma.

Hi @emmamarie ,

If you could find the name of the "other tablet" you are prescribed, it may help with relevant answers?

Have you also been issued with a blood glucose meter?

It has been mentioned (anecdotally.) that a "metallic taste" manifests during hypoglycaemia in some diabetics? But without knowing your blood sugar levels at the time, it would be hard to accertain if this is a symptom...

Edited to add, some also feel nauseous during a low too?

JeremySE18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found this to be a side effect of Metformin, along with decreased appetite. Both side effects are well known. Monitor your appetite for a few weeks and go and see your GP if it continues to drop off. Yes it's great to lose the excess weight but probably not healthy to your system :)

Personally I found that being taken off of the Metformin for a few weeks helped my appetite increase, and then being put back on it did not affect my taste or appetite as it had previously done.

Good luck with yours :)

Is the other tablet a small white one called Bendroflourothiazide (sic) perhaps?

Dark Horse

Can you test for ketones? Forxiga, generic name dapagliflozin, has the effect of making you pee out glucose and there have been some cases where people taking it have developed ketoacidosis at lower glucose levels than is usual.

On rare occasions, treatment with dapagliflozin can raise the levels of certain chemicals, called ketones, in your blood. This can lead to a serious condition called diabetic ketoacidosis. Contact your doctor straightaway if you notice any combination of the following symptoms:

• A sweet smell to your breath, a sweet or metallic taste in your mouth or a different smell to your sweat or urine.
  • Feeling or being sick, tummy (abdominal) pains.
  • Losing weight quickly, feeling very thirsty, breathing unusually quickly or difficulty breathing.
  • Confusion, tiredness or sleepiness.
https://patient.info/medicine/dapagliflozin-tablets-for-diabetes-forxiga

emmamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @emmamarie ,

If you could find the name of the "other tablet" you are prescribed, it may help with relevant answers?

Have you also been issued with a blood glucose meter?

It has been mentioned (anecdotally.) that a "metallic taste" manifests during hypoglycaemia in some diabetics? But without knowing your blood sugar levels at the time, it would be hard to accertain if this is a symptom...

Edited to add, some also feel nauseous during a low too?
The name of the tablets I take are xigduo dapagliflozin and metformin, I've never been on any kind of monitor the doctors never said I've had to be. X

Rmoliv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The name of the tablets I take are xigduo dapagliflozin and metformin, I've never been on any kind of monitor the doctors never said I've had to be. X

I've been taking Xigduo as well for a week now. My doctor told me to expect a few side effects in the beginning such as abdominal discomfort (pain) and metallic taste in my mouth. He said side effects should go away after a few days. So far I've only experienced occasional abdominal cramps. Both symptoms are reported as very common side effects of metformin (it's in the leaflet so you can check it out).

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Metformin can cause strange taste effects including a weird metallic taste with food. That lasted 6 months for me. I would assume it's that but obviously one of the other tablets etc could be the cause

emmamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all I appreciate you all taking the time to reply to me :)

emmamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found this to be a side effect of Metformin, along with decreased appetite. Both side effects are well known. Monitor your appetite for a few weeks and go and see your GP if it continues to drop off. Yes it's great to lose the excess weight but probably not healthy to your system :)

Personally I found that being taken off of the Metformin for a few weeks helped my appetite increase, and then being put back on it did not affect my taste or appetite as it had previously done.

Good luck with yours :)

Is the other tablet a small white one called Bendroflourothiazide (sic) perhaps?
Thank you I will monitor it I k ow I'm hardly eating alot and really thirsty but not sure if that's cos if this heat lol. No I'm only o the 1 tablet 2 times a day :)

emmamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you test for ketones? Forxiga, generic name dapagliflozin, has the effect of making you pee out glucose and there have been some cases where people taking it have developed ketoacidosis at lower glucose levels than is usual.

On rare occasions, treatment with dapagliflozin can raise the levels of certain chemicals, called ketones, in your blood. This can lead to a serious condition called diabetic ketoacidosis. Contact your doctor straightaway if you notice any combination of the following symptoms:

• A sweet smell to your breath, a sweet or metallic taste in your mouth or a different smell to your sweat or urine.
  • Feeling or being sick, tummy (abdominal) pains.
  • Losing weight quickly, feeling very thirsty, breathing unusually quickly or difficulty breathing.
  • Confusion, tiredness or sleepiness.
https://patient.info/medicine/dapagliflozin-tablets-for-diabetes-forxiga
I have been thirsty alot more, and don't have an appetite as such, last night was the first time I noticed a metallic taste In my mouth I've been on tablet around 4 weeks and have lost 10lb I haven't really had stomach pains or felt really sickly but I will defiantly monitor this and go doctors if symptoms worsen. I was putting thirst down to this heat we are having a long with having hot sweats :( thank you for replying

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had significantly increased thirst and metallic taste in mouth along with some dizziness / hunger / general weak feeling. I just thought it was due to a bad cold I had and some cold medicines. Yesterday I checked with doctor and he said it sounds like the side effect of Forxiga (same as the Xigdau class of medicines). He asked me to immediately stop and it to be honest today, I feel much better already after stopping it for a day. Maybe you should check with your doc at the earliest opportunity. While this class of medicines seem to have a good impact on getting sugar out quickly and bringing down blood sugar numbers, it is worth watching for the side effects. Good luck.

Reactions: Freema