Pain and Addiction

Dislikes
the setting sun in the evening
I have for a long time 14 years endured abscesses and neuropathy in my legs feet and hip.The pain is getting worse by the day. Some eight years ago after a long and loving affair with Dihydrocodeine I was additionally put onto Durogesic 100mg fentanyl transdermal patches. To cut a long story short I became seriously addicted after a long six years of use and ended up in a psychiatric unit (the addiction unit refused to take me on because of my diabetes :? ) for three moths coming of the stuff.
Whilst I am happy to be no longer addicted to fentanyl, I find myself in a s*&! load of pain. I have been prescribed Gabapentin and amitripteline but my pain is still largely unmanaged. I know that a dose of Codeine 60mg works but my doctor refuses to prescribe it and so when my pain is unbearable I am compelled to take up to 32 Co-Codamol 500/8 a day :shock: I know this is dangerous but the pain is so bad .
Is anyone out there in a similar predicament? How do you cope?
Regards Ricky

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Hi
I find the GPs don't like ,or are reluctant to prescribe the stronger pain relief
ASK to see a Pain Consultant ,will over ride your GP on Meds

I find My Pain Consultant and pain team, A real help , I don't bother with my GP, if i am having a problem with pain control I just call the pain Team

Bob

PM if you like

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Has anyone suggested a pump to give you measured amounts of pain relief ?

As you probably know, taking over the dosage of Paracetamol will damage your Liver. As Bowell says ask to be refered to a pain clinic as you will be doing yourself serious damage taking this amount of analgesics.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
There is a newish drug out, which I believe is far more expensive than others that is said to treat diabetic neuropathy. It is called duloxitine. I have only been on it with 25mg of ampitryptalene for two weeks, but I have found that it has been the only drug so far for me that has given me chronic side effects. I previously used to take 8 diclofenics and 8 paracetomals a day to try and get trid of pain, when I was given a wrong diagnosis of palindromic rheumatism.....they never touched the pain..

I would say now that my mind is a lot clearer and my pain is diminshed slightly, but I am only on a very small dose of this newish drug, as I was made to trial all the cheaper ones first (don't blame GP-if they had worked I wouldn't have minded). I see my GP again in a few weeks, and I am expecting him to raise the dosage, where I may get a more significant improvement.

My pain is not due to neuropathy, but it clearly says on the packets it is for that purpose as well as the illness I have it for.

I also am on the waiting list (12 months) to see a pain management consultant.

bowell

Dislikes
Funny that you said Pump Sue :!:

I have just been offered a Trial for a permanent morphine pump that would installed under skin ,in Aug

The trial pump is an external one with catheter placed into the spine this trial lasts 7 days
If all is OK. Some weeks later a permanent pump is installed under skin the catheter is also routed under the skin into the spine. Pump is refilled by syringe around every 12 weeks

Still thinking :? I have a few weeks left to decide , Its a big lump of metal to be placed inside you

Bob

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
You can get pumps that you have to put in a subcutaneous needle and change the site every so often. However these are refilled every 24 hours.

bowell

Dislikes
donnellysdogs
am on the waiting list (12 months) to see a pain management consultant.
from experience

TOP TIP if you are seeing pain consultant

To make a list of the type of pain you have
starting with your toes working up to your head (if it goes that far)
Try to describe each Type of pain , its no good just saying it hurts
example:

Starts in my toes with a cutting burning feeling then i have the feeling
that someone is pushing pins in my toes,all the time
the top of my feet feel like hot fat has just been split
deep in my ankles i have this crushing throbbing pain, ect

Work your way up your body ,
best time to do this is when your laying in bed.

The effect that any medication has on your pain now or not :!:

The pain consultant appointment may be a lot longer than you will be accustomed to with other doctors consultants

I am normally in with my one for well over the hour

by sugarless sue
You can get pumps that you have to put in a subcutaneous needle and change the site every so often. However these are refilled every 24 hours.

Informed If the morphine is placed direct into my spine , for the same effect pain relief would only need 1/8th of the morphine dose used now ,as permanent morphine user this would be more beneficial ,unit is easily re-programed :?:

Bob

bowell

Dislikes
Yep that sounds just like it ,Consultant did show me a photo ,,
it looked just like a old Morris Minor windscreen motor ?

I am 80/20 in favour so far

Bob

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
If you click on the little camera symbols in that link it shows you the pictures.

Morris Minors.....showing your age there Bowell :D ( and mine).

bowell

Dislikes
Deff ,,,,that is the beast

I have just seen how much the thing costs :!: :!: :!: :!: on that site, reckon its £20,000 :shock:
Makes an Insulin pump look very cheap

If i do manage to have one fitted :? ........ I Just cant see my PTC shelling that much out :?

Better not tell my Son costs that ,,He cut me open and trade it in for a new car :?

Bob

Dislikes
the setting sun in the evening
Thanks guy's, your suggestions and help have been invaluable. :D The craic is brilliant :lol: my love to you all.
Ricky