Frustrating Day

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, so up all night with restless 18 yr old dog who pees in the kitchen if you don't open the door, now to frail to use the doggy door.

11am appointment for HbA1c, I arrive promptly and attempt to check in. The infernal machine doesn't know what I am talking about. Try again, same result. Now have to queue up to speak to the receptionist. One person in front of me and you know exactly who I mean, we have all been behind her at the post office.

You don't have an appointment she says. What? I have had the appointment for weeks. It was cancelled she said. Who by? She gave me a look as if to say, like I'm going to tell YOU. Then she said I have an appointment 1st August. I said, no that appointment is a phone call from the DN to discuss the blood test I am supposed to be having today. And besides all that I phoned on Monday to request that in addition to the HbA1c, I wanted a full lippy whatsit for cholesterol. She had to get authorisation from a doctor and phoned me back later that day to confirm that I could have the test today but I had to fast 14 hours. Which, I said to the receptionist, I had, and I was ready to eat. She said I could come back in an hour and I was welcome to wait.

So, I stomped off home. I was boiling and it was very hot as well.

I called in to get hubby a brunch and picked out what looked like half a ciabatta with melted cheese and sausage. I asked for a spoonful of mushrooms. £2 I could have wept on the way home.

Husband said it was delicious as I sipped my glass of water. Bas***d, I thought.

So I went back to the surgery. I am heading out at noon so none of the pavements have shade to walk in.

So blood was taken and I stomped off home and collapsed into a chair unable to get a badly needed glass of water.

Fast forward to teatime. Fancy an Indian, says I. We both decided on a mixed grill tandoori. The conversation was interesting. Rice and nan are included in the price. I only wanted one rice, no nan. But they are included, I am told. Eventually the meal arrives. I won't bore you with the details about what was there and what wasn't.

Fast forward to testing post meal

Three tests. 9.0, 9.2, 9.8. Eeek.

Do you know, I don't care. I'll take 9.0 as it was the first reading. Although it is far higher than I am recently used to, it was a one off and it lifted my spirits.

Tomorrow is another day.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
This weather turns some cuckoo, I feel. I too attended gp blood test for nothing. It wouldn't come out. So it was abandoned til next week.
I get soooo confused I bearly remember what it's for. GP hadnt left any info either. What a life! Trailed down there in this heat, for nothing.

Reactions: xfieldok

Doarnamor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, so up all night with restless 18 yr old dog who pees in the kitchen if you don't open the door, now to frail to use the doggy door.

11am appointment for HbA1c, I arrive promptly and attempt to check in. The infernal machine doesn't know what I am talking about. Try again, same result. Now have to queue up to speak to the receptionist. One person in front of me and you know exactly who I mean, we have all been behind her at the post office.

You don't have an appointment she says. What? I have had the appointment for weeks. It was cancelled she said. Who by? She gave me a look as if to say, like I'm going to tell YOU. Then she said I have an appointment 1st August. I said, no that appointment is a phone call from the DN to discuss the blood test I am supposed to be having today. And besides all that I phoned on Monday to request that in addition to the HbA1c, I wanted a full lippy whatsit for cholesterol. She had to get authorisation from a doctor and phoned me back later that day to confirm that I could have the test today but I had to fast 14 hours. Which, I said to the receptionist, I had, and I was ready to eat. She said I could come back in an hour and I was welcome to wait.

So, I stomped off home. I was boiling and it was very hot as well.

I called in to get hubby a brunch and picked out what looked like half a ciabatta with melted cheese and sausage. I asked for a spoonful of mushrooms. £2 I could have wept on the way home.

Husband said it was delicious as I sipped my glass of water. Bas***d, I thought.

So I went back to the surgery. I am heading out at noon so none of the pavements have shade to walk in.

So blood was taken and I stomped off home and collapsed into a chair unable to get a badly needed glass of water.

Fast forward to teatime. Fancy an Indian, says I. We both decided on a mixed grill tandoori. The conversation was interesting. Rice and nan are included in the price. I only wanted one rice, no nan. But they are included, I am told. Eventually the meal arrives. I won't bore you with the details about what was there and what wasn't.

Fast forward to testing post meal

Three tests. 9.0, 9.2, 9.8. Eeek.

Do you know, I don't care. I'll take 9.0 as it was the first reading. Although it is far higher than I am recently used to, it was a one off and it lifted my spirits.

Tomorrow is another day.
Anyone who stays up all night with their frail senior dog deserves much better than that and although it is no consolation you have my respect.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone who stays up all night with their frail senior dog deserves much better than that and although it is no consolation you have my respect.
I sleep on the sofa! If we leave him down stairs alone he starts barking. If we take him upstairs, he will only sleep in his basket on the landing and would fall down stairs if he tried to make it by himself.

Reactions: Doarnamor

Doarnamor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sleep on the sofa! If we leave him down stairs alone he starts barking. If we take him upstairs, he will only sleep in his basket on the landing and would fall down stairs if he tried to make it by himself.
I have volunteered and worked at this place, http://saintsrescue.ca. I've seen hundreds of pets abandoned because they got old and frail. Your pal is very lucky to have a friend like you that will love him/her up to the end.

Sorry everyone for going a little off topic. But im starting to suspect my old dog is diabetic too. lol

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have volunteered and worked at this place, http://saintsrescue.ca. I've seen hundreds of pets abandoned because they got old and frail. Your pal is very lucky to have a friend like you that will love him/her up to the end.

Sorry everyone for going a little off topic. But im starting to suspect my old dog is diabetic too. lol
He is a family member and is over 124 in human years. You wouldn't get rid of grandad because he was a bit wobbly.

He is the last of three. We lost number 2 in march. He was diabetic but had an inoperable tumour.

Seriously, If you have a diabetic dog, you need to get him checked out asap.

Recently, we put around £200 worth of insulin in the bin because we couldn't give it away.

I still have some syringes and an alphatrack meter. Let me know if you need anything.

Doarnamor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He is a family member and is over 124 in human years. You wouldn't get rid of grandad because he was a bit wobbly.

He is the last of three. We lost number 2 in march. He was diabetic but had an inoperable tumour.

Seriously, If you have a diabetic dog, you need to get him checked out asap.

Recently, we put around £200 worth of insulin in the bin because we couldn't give it away.

I still have some syringes and an alphatrack meter. Let me know if you need anything.
Maybe we should have a forum for diabetic pets. The only reason I suspect diabetes in him is because he gets sooooo thirsty. We are traveling across the country right now, but when we get home, I'll have him checked. He's 16 years old and is the third senior dog we've adopted. I love the old guys. Give your old guy a scratch behind the ears for me.

Reactions: xfieldok