Fits/seizures

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been experiencing a few of these recently, I've been shrugging them off as anomalies, however s**t just got real. I fell down the stairs in the middle of the night and fractured my skull, eye socket, nose, hand, and foot, so all in all not good. I'm terrified it could happen again.
Anyone any experience with this kind of stuff?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
They can happen if your blood sugar goes low enough. Do you think you were having a hypo at the time?

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I've been experiencing a few of these recently, I've been shrugging them off as anomalies, however s**t just got real. I fell down the stairs in the middle of the night and fractured my skull, eye socket, nose, hand, and foot, so all in all not good. I'm terrified it could happen again.
Anyone any experience with this kind of stuff?
Hi @JRW I agree with @EllieM. The only fits or seizures I have ever experienced have been the result of extremely low blood sugar. Hope you're better quickly.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They can happen if your blood sugar goes low enough. Do you think you were having a hypo at the time?
Yes I do, but can't be sure as I had concussion and don't really know what happened for sure

thanks for the input

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear about your accident, hope the Drs have done tests to rule out all causes.
Hope you have a quick recovery.
Take care

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Night hypos are often a criteria for consideration of switching to an insulin pump. You have already suffered harm and anything which may reduce the risk of it happening again is something you may wish to discuss with your dsn and doctor.
Best Wishes !

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I can personally confirm that I've had seizures when my blood sugar has been astronomically low, corresponding to various times in my life when I've lost hypo awareness, and starting at night/during naps. Loss of night time awareness is pretty serious, as if you go low enough you may not wake up. Obviously you'll be investigating the cause, but if it is hypos I would personally be looking at a combination of cgm with an alarm and/or a deliberate increase of blood sugar to a higher range (I was told to keep mine above 6) for a few months. Obviously everyone is different, but I do get my awareness back if I run higher for a while. Again, if it is hypos, you need to talk to your clinic about this as a matter of extreme urgency, don't wait months for a new appointment.

Good luck, stay safe, be well.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hopefully you are having an MRI of the head and determining whether what is seen is indicative of strokes (and if so, which kind and where) and are taken to seen a top notch neurologist who is also familiar with the endocrinological aspects.

I was told by one of my neurologists that it is hard to differentiate between strokes and seizures and that it is possible to have both

If you have sleep apnea, you can pass out for differing periods of time and your breathing may be off and your oxygen low during these periods

I don't have experience with the fractures in all the places you mention, but I do have experience with the rest. There are various kinds of neurologists that might be helpful:

Stroke Neurologist

Movement Disorders Neurologist - muscle shaking and other muscular abnormalities which can happen with various disorders

Sleep Neurologist and/or Pulmonologist - you can stop breathing or pass out day or night, and there are lots of individual differences

Nerve Disorders Neurologist - this person diagnoses Diabetic Neuropathy, might give you a sleeping waking EKG or do other specialized studies

TBH I've been scared to go back to my GP, hoping to do it this week. the fractures are all self healing, nothing to be reset. I can take the pain of recovery, just the not knowing is killing me, and i'm scared of another s**t health issue.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get how you are feeling but, my opinion, you need a neurological consult, not a GP

As far as uncovering another health issue, the quicker diagnosed, the quicker fixed
Yeah understand, I'm intelligent enough to know what I feel isn't rational, and not in my best interest, I have an overriding man back to cave instinct.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Yeah understand, I'm intelligent enough to know what I feel isn't rational, and not in my best interest, I have an overriding man back to cave instinct.

Look, I understand you, I've had similar avoidance issues in the past (dentist, and, much much earlier in my life, the diabetic clinic). In my experience, if you ignore an issue it doesn't go away, but if you face it, whatever it is, it usually isn't nearly as bad as what you're fearing (you usually fear/imagine a worst case scenario which is far worse than what happens in practice). Most issues are treatable, and it's better to treat them early rather than late. If you're getting hypos, then that's fixable, but you need to deal with it before you have one in a situation where it kills you (eg behind the wheel of a car, or as a pedestrian crossing the road, or just not waking up at all if you go low enough). If it's not hypos but some neurological issue then that's probably fixable too, but you can't fix it till you know what it is.

Please, don't wait. Get help now.

Reactions: feniangirl