Trying to lose weight

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I have been a Type 1 since 1975. My control hasn’t always been great, teenage years I went off the rails a bit, but for the last 25 years or so my control has been quite good, HbA1c tend to be between 6-8. I do have CKD but this seems to be stable at the moment, my levels have stayed the same for the last 3 years. Over the last 10 years I have been putting on weight, a stone a year, and I am now morbidly obese. Over the years as my weight had increased so has my insulin doses. I have not started a weight loss campaign and seem to be doing alright however what is very frustrating is that I will do well all day then during the night I will have to drink a bottle or 2 bottles of Lucozade due to hypos. If I am having hypos in the night should I be reducing my daily dose of Ultratard or my last dose of Humilin S? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Lorna

sugar2

Arrgg...I just typed a long reply, and then lost it!

Sorry, have to be brief. yes, you do need to reduce your insulin. I would speak to your Dr about the insulin that you are on. Basal bolus may gie you more flexibility in what you eat. I am not sure about Ultratard, as it isn't something I have used for many years, and I am sure there is a good reason why you are using it...but it doesn't allow you to be flexible with your diet.
Personally, I need that flexibility...it is heart breaking, as you know, to be "good" all day, just to have to fill up on sugar because you are hypo. Basal bolus regimes allow you far more flexibility. You also need to carb count with this...but for someone who is on a calrorie controlled diet (like you and me!!) this is nothing new.

i am doing weight watchers...only been on it for 3 weeks, but so far, so good. I now have a pump, so if I don't eat much, or just have salad etc, I don't need much insulin...if I have a potatoe or something, I need more, I take more. carb counting, and working out your carbohydrate to insulin ratio is teh key.

It isn't perfect...I still get a few hypos, but not a 2 bottle of lucazade hypo!

all the best

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Thanks for the reply Sugar2. I'm actually on Levemir not Ultratard, have been for quite a few years now so don't klnow why I typed Ultratard, old habits ..... :oops:

I have reduced all my doses of Humulin S to fit in with what i am eating now and I have knocked a couple of units off my daily Levemir, I will speak to my nurse next time I see her but to be honest she is a bit "old school", think she would be happy if I was still using metal and glass syringes and testing with the good old clinitest!

Lorna

jopar

It would be difficult to suggest which insulin to change, as you have to know which is causing the problem..

The only way to check Levimer is to do fasting tests, sectors of fasting, checking BG every hour, it shouldn't change by 2mmol/ml +/-.

As depening on the time you inject your levimer, you could actually be swimming in insulin at one point and not having enough at another.. This can be masked by QA insulin at meal times very easily..

Some find it better to split the levimer to avoid these swings..

Once you've sorted out your back ground, then you can work out your QA insulin/Carb ratio's that you require for each meal and also in combination of any exercise etc...

Carb counting is really the only method of controlling..

iHs

Hi Lorna

You need to reduce yr insulin but not sure which one you should lower. I would say reduce the nightime basal one (which ever that one is) and get up in the night about 20mins before you usually find yrself going low and do a bg test (correct with small amount of carb if need be) and then test again about 2hrs later and either leave bg alone or correct.

If you find yrself having to guzzle a bottle of lucozade most nights, then it's no wonder that you're putting on weight. :oops: Have you not thought of asking a D consultant to consider you for a pump; only you definately meet the NICE criteria?

stephen10

Lose weight

Some guideliness for Lose weight.

* If the amount of calories that you eat equals the amount of energy that your body uses up, then your weight remains stable.

* If you eat more calories than you burn up, you put on weight. The extra (or excess) energy is converted into fat and stored in your body.

* If you eat fewer calories than you burn up, you lose weight. Your body has to tap into its fat stores to get the extra energy it needs.

Elvis

Avoid the junk foods and take low carb diet.
Take raw vegetables and fresh fruits.
Take more water in a day. all these support you in weight loss.

maddie47

l am a type 2 diabetic and have struggled with my glucose control though l lost a lot of weight ,l am now finding that l have put a lot back on trying to control my diabetes. l am on lantus and nova rapid, though most of the time my readings are between 5.7 and 6.8 l find that l am taking hypos daily which terrifies me. l take 30ml lantus and between 5-6 of rapid. any suggestion? Thanx. Maddie47.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Your dose will need to change, but what time(s) are you going low???Hard to give any info on just being told going hypo without times....ie before meals, 2 hours after you have eaten or during night etc......

john.huston45

You are suffering from type - II diabetes and want to loss weight. For that first of all you should change your diet. Avoid to eat junk food, and sweets. Because if you do not control on your diet, then it will impossible to control your diabetes.