What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, the bad weather predicted didn’t materialise, just one shower, however the forecast for tomorrow is bleak!
No breakfast, just a coffee with cream
L bacon and a cheese omelette with my obligatory weekend cappuccino
D Keto mozzarella dough pizza base topped with cheese, a little sprinkle of spring onion and salami, followed by a small slice of zucchini cake with cream. 1 more slice then half of the cake has been eaten, the other half has been frozen for another time

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All, busy 2 days, so another catch up post.

Fri
Bacon, egg and hollandaise, whilst on the road.
No lunch.
Then defrosted pork shoulder in cream, mustard and tarragon sauce.

Sat
Breakfast out. Bacon, egg, mushroom, and half a slice of GF toast.
Need to get off the carb creep wagon! Back to carnivore. Will feel better for it.
Buzzard Bites this evening (World of Warcraft recipe book. Turkey mince and bacon meatballs (delicious) with sauce made from cider, tomato puree and balsamic vinegar (sublime)). Was worried about the carbs in the sauce, but didn’t want to fiddle with it too much, the first time. Now have a baseline with which to fiddle. Mind you, i did add chicken stock cube (Kallo) and worcestershire sauce.

Am very impressed with these WoW recipes so far. Next on list is Bloodberry pudding (LC version in a fathead pastry piecrust). The pic looks fab! Like a pool of clotting blood in a pie. Haha! The filling is really raspberries and blueberries, set with pectin. :wacky:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Feels like a cheat day which was totally unplanned and not sure if I like it or not:angelic: I have learned quite a lot from this thread, ordered another 2.5 kgs of Callebaut 100% chocolate mass and 24 mason jars - dangerous place this. We will use the jars to trial lacto fermentation ideas, perhaps LC chutney and some other experiments. Grandson is coming to stay next week so mum - of new baby girl - can recover from C section without him trying to jump on her or sofa near her:bigtears: We want to use some of the chocolate and jars to make some special LC Nutella which he loves and he loves cooking with his Nanny. My own targets abandoned for the day menu below:

7.30-9.00 2 pint mugs tea with almond milk ( 45 min walk)
11.05 Vente filter coffee with whole milk, 2 tsps inulin and 2 x zero stevia
14.05: Lo dough wrap with cold Pork and as much salad as Mrs P could fit and h/m garlic mayo; 2 radishes; cucumber; 3 cherry tomatoes; ham offcuts; 2 pints tea with almond milk . 2 hr reading not acceptable @ 5,6; - honey glazed ham? did taste V sweet;
16.10 h/m high fibre choc bar and Breyers Creamy Chocolate (104 gms) - venti sized tassimo americano with cream - definitely sulky response but that lot raised bg by 0.1 at 2 hrs
19.45 Fluffy Omelette - chorizo and mushroom; parmesan shavings; celeriac remoulade (h/m mayo); Glass red wine

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit hectic today but all gone ok. Thank you @ianpspurs for Mary berry celeriac remoulade recipe which I adapted by adding chopped cabbage to the other ingredients to make a coleslaw
Breakfast one slice of bacon and egg and 2 small fried tomatoes
Lunch coleslaw with celeriac and cabbage made into a salad by adding some cheese and chopped walnuts - delicious - followed by slice of LC choc olive oil cake and fage 5% yoghurt
Dinner chicken curry served with one slice of LC bread fried in coconut oil followed by lemon and lime LC mousse
Off to yorks to mums mid morning - doing a few jobs when arrive and taking her to med appt on Monday morning and then bringing her back for two weeks for a break for her. Hoping to get her out for some trips when she’s with us especially if weather improves.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just say how much I love reading this thread....many of you are the same people on my morning “some chat FBG” thread. I have so many other people to think of just now the food I eat isnt that exciting (but always LC). Today I went down to Kent 3 hour round trip for me to see my friend going through chemo. This is her good week but her appetite is non existent. By 3pm my tummy wanted food so dashed to the CoOp across the road, side salad, tub egg mayo and 1avocado later we were both happy. Next weekend am going down for her next chemo and will be prioritising filling fridge, freezing meals at home for OH and son while I am away. The first few days I am there will probs eat cold food so not to make her nausea worse by food smells which is fine for me. Its surprising what you can find, side salads, tubs prawn cocktail, egg mayo, salami, etc. I like cooking but more in cooler weather but I am enjoying all the ideas you are all giving me.

Reactions: DJC3 and Brunneria

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just say how much I love reading this thread....many of you are the same people on my morning “some chat FBG” thread. I have so many other people to think of just now the food I eat isnt that exciting (but always LC). Today I went down to Kent 3 hour round trip for me to see my friend going through chemo. This is her good week but her appetite is non existent. By 3pm my tummy wanted food so dashed to the CoOp across the road, side salad, tub egg mayo and 1avocado later we were both happy. Next weekend am going down for her next chemo and will be prioritising filling fridge, freezing meals at home for OH and son while I am away. The first few days I am there will probs eat cold food so not to make her nausea worse by food smells which is fine for me. Its surprising what you can find, side salads, tubs prawn cocktail, egg mayo, salami, etc. I like cooking but more in cooler weather but I am enjoying all the ideas you are all giving me.
@PenguinMum sounds like you have a lot on but are doing amazing keeping going with LC and turning things round to work for you - great work. Do remember though to take some time for you too.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum sounds like you have a lot on but are doing amazing keeping going with LC and turning things round to work for you - great work. Do remember though to take some time for you too.
Thanks Shelley dont want to sound like some paragon of virtue, I’m not. But this release (LCHF) from the sentence of doom that Diabetes can mean is so worth pursuing that I will follow it to the end of my days.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Kingmidas I did have the Halo Top red velvet tonight. I expected it to be berry flavoured but I assume it tastes like a red velvet cup cake. Never having had a red velvet cupcake I can't be sure but I don't really care. It's Good! Lots of little chocolaty things through it. I now have a problem. There are quite a few Halo Tops I really like and what will it be like when the other flavours start arriving?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Shelley dont want to sound like some paragon of virtue, I’m not. But this release (LCHF) from the sentence of doom that Diabetes can mean is so worth pursuing that I will follow it to the end of my days.
Me too I love this way of eating and how well it makes me feel physically and mentally plus it tastes so good win win

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just say how much I love reading this thread.... I have so many other people to think of just now the food I eat isnt that exciting (but always LC). Today I went down to Kent 3 hour round trip for me to see my friend going through chemo. This is her good week but her appetite is non existent.
@PenguinMum In awe of people such as yourself who make so much time for others. @shelley262 glad the Berry recipe worked for you. As I said, I don't find her to my taste but I sensed that one would work. You also have my admiration for your caring. @maglil55 I will never fathom quite how folk such as yourself seem to hold families together - probably because I am an only child.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

gettingamoveon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch: A fried egg, ham, salad, coffee with cream, a few blueberries and two slices of apple submerged in cream.
Mid-afternoon: tin of sardines in tomato sauce with a big glug of olive oil.
Dinner: Sirloin steak fried in butter and olive oil, insalata caprese with the usual big glug of olive oil, raw vegetables.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum In awe of people such as yourself who make so much time for others. @shelley262 glad the Berry recipe worked for you as I said I don't find her to my taste but I sensed that one would work. You also have my admiration for your caring. @maglil55 I will never fathom quite how folk such as yourself seem to hold families together - probably because I am an only child.
Thanks Ian. Like I said its no big deal the more I listen to you guys on here the more useful info I glean (?). Thats whats so wonderful about this forum. I have learned not to join in on some threads because they are too heavy duty but thankfully there are lots LCHFs who are just genuinely nice.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
@ianpspurs I also made the celeriac remoulade today - thanks for the recipe.

@shelley262 hope the drive to Yorks is ok tomorrow, I expect your mum is really looking forward to seeing you.

@PenguinMum good idea about the food for your visit , it will be much easier for her if you are eating cold fragrance free food. In this hot weather it’s easier all round too. Hope all goes well.

B: a sausage and fried egg. Coffee and cream

L: peppered mackerel fillet, celeriac remoulade and green salad. @shelley262 good idea about adding the walnuts - makes it like a Waldorf salad.
Slice of lemon drizzle cake and coffee with cream

D: M@S Moroccan hake fillets with olive oil roast veg ( aubergine, courgettes, peppers) and asparagus. SF jelly and cream.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
@ianpspurs I also made the celeriac remoulade today - thanks for the recipe.

@shelley262 hope the drive to Yorks is ok tomorrow, I expect your mum is really looking forward to seeing you.

@PenguinMum good idea about the food for your visit , it will be much easier for her if you are eating cold fragrance free food. In this hot weather it’s easier all round too. Hope all goes well.

B: a sausage and fried egg. Coffee and cream

L: peppered mackerel fillet, celeriac remoulade and green salad. @shelley262 good idea about adding the walnuts - makes it like a Waldorf salad.
Slice of lemon drizzle cake and coffee with cream

D: M@S Moroccan hake fillets with olive oil roast veg ( aubergine, courgettes, peppers) and asparagus. SF jelly and cream.
Thanks @DJC3 and your menu sounds right up my street.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Lunch! Skinny Café pancake, bacon and sugar free maple syrup followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries,
Mid afternoon in Nero’sm Cappuccino and mixed nuts.
Dinner: cheese and mushroom omelette with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by SF jelly and cream.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not exactly what have you eaten today but definitely linked. Has anyone tried or do you use adaptogens and if so which ones?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not exactly what have you eaten today but definitely linked. Has anyone tried or do you use adaptogens and if so which ones?
I had to Google ‘adaptogens’ and without knowing it appears I do take some! I take cinnamon and tumeric which some consider adaptogens from what I’ve read. I take them everyday for their anti inflammatory properties, I have arthritis and that’s the main reason I started taking them as I can’t take anti inflammatory tablets, however they both help with blood sugar levels too so double whammy :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to Google ‘adaptogens’ and without knowing it appears I do take some! I take cinnamon and tumeric which some consider adaptogens from what I’ve read. I take them everyday for their anti inflammatory properties, I have arthritis and that’s the main reason I started taking them as I can’t take anti inflammatory tablets, however they both help with blood sugar levels too so double whammy :)
Useful reply @Rachox. I liked the link to Ayurveda which seems to have known or stumbled on a whole posse of useful knowledge we ( in the West) are just recognising

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel this coming along some day soon, from a kitchen near me:

https://twosleevers.com/pressure-cooker-keto-broccoli-ham-pepper-bake/

(For half and half 2:1 single cream:full fat milk works. Half and half is allegedly typically 12% fat, so Lidl's 10% yoghurt might also work as a quick swapsie.)
Looking at that recipe you may have found me a use for our IP other than stocks, broths and such like - just may:angelic: Talking of recipes and utility, Mrs P scours Waitrose recipe cards for any we could use - then hides them around the house for me to tidy from time to time:banghead: Just found 2 that may interest peeps herein - carrot, halloumi & 4 seed salad and charred broccoli , chorizo and jalapeno salad https://www.waitrose.com/content/wa...y/c/charred-broccolichorizojalapenosalad.html.
Some very nice looking and sounding recipes at that place.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55