What To Eat After Stomach Bug?

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (I've had a trawl-through but couldn't find any relevant posts). I've had a stomach bug for a week now (probably due to the visit of a small person) and while... TMI alert!.... not throwing up hourly and not even keeping water down, I've been left with feeling bilious and with no appetite (which probably doesn't help). The thought of the usual LCHF foods just makes me worse, e.g. cheese, bacon, cream, even veggies and eggs. Any suggestions? I need to eat something but I'm struggling. Ok, so perhaps not a maple pecan Danish but at the moment I'm not bothered about carb levels particularly, I just want something that gets me eating again! I've tried dry Broghies but they don't help.

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Toast and milk or tea is used in our family after a tummy bug.

Reactions: Sue192

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It seems to be better to avoid dairy products after a stomach but Home made veg soup ,or even a broth (marmite or Oxo ) could kick start your appetite
Carol

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @carty, @Canvaspic and @JeremySE18. Nothing has appealed, especially creamy, cheesy, meaty stuff. The kefir seems more palatable than yoghurt and some miso stayed down. Just waiting for the rain to stop (yaaay, rain!!) before I go out for suggested supplies :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Go to the store and take anything that looks remotely attractive to you, even if it's inappropriate to your diet. The main thing is eating something, eating the right things again comes later.
Hoe you'll feel better soon!

JeremySE18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good luck to you Sue192. Let me add that at the time of my problems I was struggling to finish a slice of toast, let alone anything else. I found I could cope with consomme and it provided a decent amount of protein and fat.

It was only confirmed that it was the metformin causing the problem when I had an overnight hospital visit and I was asked to stop taking my meds for a couple of days. After missing 2-3 doses I actually had my appetite back and reduced nasty taste in my mouth. The smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel for breakfast and the monk fish and stir fried veg for lunch actually tasted great (yes it was private health care) :)

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @Sue192

I hope you’re feeling better.

I often have digestion problems (not caused by a bug). My number one priority is to keep hydrated by drinking water or herbal tea (I avoid my usual coffee). Then I eat very bland food particularly rice and some protein such as beans, but you could try chicken. If you follow a low carb diet, cauliflower rice may help, but don’t add too much oil or any spices.

I have prescription food supplements if I’ve lost a lot of weight or if this goes on for a while. You may want to consider Complan or similar (once you can keep the bland food down). Be aware that most supplements are full of sugar, so read the ingredients/ nutrient information carefully.

Reactions: Grant1969

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to @Antje77, @Ledzeptt and @JeremySE18, and apologies for not replying sooner. This little blighter has left me with little appetite and generally not myself. I did just that in the end, @Antje77 and it was Matzo crackers and toast. Not the right things but they did help a lot, as did Complan @ Ledzeptt and Metatone (I sound like an old lady...) and I'm not fretting over what my hbA1c is at the moment - I just want to get back to normal. I like the non-NHS non-brown mush diet, @JeremySE18 - that would certainly be better!