Metformin Side Effects

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone

On the 17th December I was put on Metformin. Due to having IBS and reading about the side effects on here I asked for the slow releasing one.

I was worried about getting the diorrhea that everyone talked about, but the opposite seems to have happened. It is getting to the point now where I have stomach ache everyday and it is making me feel dreadful. I am also so tired, I fight to keep my eyes open. I spent most of the weekend sleeping or just not having the energy to do anything and it is effecting my work.

Does any of this sound normal. It is really starting get me down and my nurse wants to double my medication in 3 weeks if my levels havnt come down. :evil:

Im also worried it could be something else, but I dont know how I work it out.

Thanks

Claire :x

ChocFish

Hi Clarissa - stomach pains can be the side effects of Metformin, usually short term though, as for constipation, if your sugars are high you can get constipation with that too.
But do mention your symptoms at your next visit to the clinic, meanwhile I think I would have some of that Fybogel stuff to help you get going, its gentle but effective and not drastic like some other laxative.

I wonder have you considered to take kefir for IBS, some people find it really beneficial and its recommended for diabetics too (see posts by dipsy) and basic info on http://www.thekefirshop.co.uk, though if you do decide to try kefir I can send the grains for free, no need to pay out for them.

Constipation can make you feel sluggish, or you are just run dow/bit depressed/bg still too high anything like this could affect energy levels. do you take a good vitamin/mineral supplement, cinnamon, etc?

I have times when I am just tired for no real reason, I go out for a bike ride or use aromatherapy oils - grapefruit or any other citrus fruit oils are good for waking you up, but check that you are not allergic or suffer from epilepsy before using oils.

Hope you feel better soon.

Karen x

Challenges can be stumbling blocks or stepping stones, it depends how you view them

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
A thought,Karen.People who take statins shouldn't eat grapefruit,does that also apply to using grapefruit oils?

Knowledge is the key to control

ChocFish

Oh yes Sue, avoid grapefruit in any form if you are taking statins, other citrus oils are fine, I am a numpty I always forget that people often just go to a shop and buy oils, usually not even effective oils either.
always consult with a qualified practitioner or your doctor first.

Thanks for pointing this out Sue, glad you have a brain when I havent :)

Love

Karen x

Challenges can be stumbling blocks or stepping stones, it depends how you view them

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Karen

I do take fybogel from time to time, have been taking it for 27 years. I also have a prescribed tablet Mebeverine that I take. I stopped taking it all when I was having problems with my IBS last year, but starting taking it again in January after I started on the Metformin and things settled down. Despite taking the fybogel and mebeverine though I am still suffering. I do manage to go everyday, but am just in pain all the time before and then often feel sick for an hour after. It seems to be getting worse and right now everyone is telling me to go home cos I look so bad.

The sleep thing is like it was last year, which prompted me to have the blood test which diagnosed diabetes. I have been getting better though, but this last 3 weeks have been getting worse and worse and come the afternoon, I struggle to concentrate and my work is suffering. I went shopping for 2 hours on saturday and then fell asleep for 3 hours on the sofa when I got back.

I will be honest, I am scared to see the doctor in case it is something more serious and I know the doctor will want to do a full examination, which is very embarrassing and uncomfortable. That is why I thought I would find out if it could be linked to the metformin.

Claire :x

ChocFish

Awww Clarissa, darling you must check this with your doctor, you do have IBS and it could be something to do with that, Metformin can cause nausea, and there you are worrying all the time and making yourself fell even worse than you proably are. You need to go and find out what is going on Clarissa, then at least you know what you are up against.

I know its an olc cliche when people try to reassure you by saying doctors and nurses see all sorts of body parts every single day and so on and its right of course but your personal bits and yours alone and it is embarrassing to you and you feel vulnerable, but they are all so caring and undertstanding and know it is difficult to undergo certain tests and examinations, it will be just fine you know.
Please make an appointment to put your mind at rest,all this worry and anxiety is exhausting you and on your mind all the time therefor you now have sleeping problems, not good is it?

Do you have close friends or anyone that you can take with you for support?

Love

Karen x

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have rung my diabetic nurse and am waiting for her to ring back. I am going to discuss it with her and see if I can stop the medication for 3 weeks until I next see her. If the symptons go away then I will know it is the metformin and she can either let me try diet alone or try me on something else. If the symptons stay then it wont be the metformin and I will have to have the examination :evil:

I dont know what she will say to that suggestion though as last week she wanted to double it. I have been on metformin for six weeks and it has made no difference to my levels. I have now rejoined weight watchers, but the tiredness is stopping me making all my soups etc. So the metformin is actually getting in the way of me loosing weight if that is what is causing the problems :?:

Claire

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
you don't actually say what your sugar levels are ,Clarissa but high levels can make you very sleepy because the glucose is not getting into your body to help you produce energy.When you are feeling like cooking how about making double and freezing half,that way when you are really tired you can defrost soup without the hassle of making it?

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My levels seem to sit around 10 most of the time. The metformin doesnt seem to have done anything for them.

I do make batches of food to freeze, problem is this has been getting worse the last couple of weeks, so I havent actually got to the cooking part yet.

My nurse has agreed for me to stop the metformin for a couple of weeks and see what happens as long as i test regularly and ring her if they go up.

I no that high levels can make you tired, but the tiredness has got worse as the stomach pains have got worse.

I will just have to see what happens now. If nothing changes, will be a trip to the hospital :evil:

Claire

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Can I suggest you try cinnamon? Of course you'll have to go canny incase it upsets your stomach but it's worth a try to maybe bring down your sugars. I take a teaspoon on my weetabix in the morning.I also use cinnamon tabs but if you are just trying it try sprinking the powdered stuff on cereal etc.What kinds of soup do you make? I tested after a large bowl of lentil once and my sugars were about 12!

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The main soup I make is a point free one by weight watchers.

It is 2 courgettes, four carrots, one onion, tin of tomatoes, 500g of veg stock, season to taste. I also sometime add in a pinch of chilli powder for a bit of a kick.

Cook it all and then either blend all of it for a smooth soup, or 2 thirds for a chunky soup. It is ideal when following weight watchers cos it is free.

I have bought cinnamon tablets as I didnt like my cereal tasting of cinnamon, but I never remember to take them. I have that many different tablets to remember to take at different times of the day, I always forget.

Must try harder!!!

Claire

Clarissa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone, thank you for your replies.

I just thought I would give you an update. I took my last metformin last monday, by last thursday I was feeling much better and I havent had any stomach pains at all since thursday afternoon. Also my levels have started coming down. There were constantly around the 10 mark, but now I am getting readings in the 6's and 7's. The only thing I can think off is the metformin was making me so ill, that the illness was then making my levels high.

I feel so much better now than I did a week ago though and with the levels coming down I definately think I made the right decision to come of the medication.

Hopefully the levels will continue to come into the correct range and my nurse wont need to try me on any other medication

Claire

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
That sounds good,Clarissa,hope they continue to come down and stay down.:)