Did Going Low Carb Skew My Son’s Rest Results ?

Thewomanintrouble

Hello all,

There was some concerned regarding my son’s elevated blood sugar levels. The recent test result showed his blood tests are within the normal range but I’m worried that going Low carb for a week, may have skewed my son’s test results and he may actually have slow onset Diabetes.

Going back, my son had a blood test done and showed his HBac1 level of 6.3. The GP was concerned and order another HBac1 test to be done and a fasting glucose. We did another test straight away ( about a couple of days after this HBac1 test) and his HBac1 was 6.1 and he had a fasting glucose of 6. My Gp then referred us to an endocrinologist, and this was the week we did the Low carb diet-ish, when we saw the endocrinologist, she reckons it wasn’t my son’s high use of steroids that caused the raised blood sugar level, she took many tests, but relating to diabetes; the antibodies, C-peptide, HBac1 and glucose.

His results are now, for the HBac1: 5.8, C peptide was normal, glucose was 5.5 and diabetic antibodies were pending. All these new results were non fasting.

I’m worried going Low carb for a week, may have skewed my son’s results, should I keep doing a low-carb-ish diet ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Thewomanintrouble It is unlikely that your son will have 'slow onset diabetes' type 1 diabetes in children progresses very rapidly and you would know within days if he requires insulin. He would have symptoms such as extreme tiredness, thirst, frequent urination, blurry vision, vomiting, irritability.

Your son's diet would not affect his results either.

If I was in your shoes I would stop speculating on his health at this stage, unless he displays any of the symptoms mentioned above, then carry on life as normal.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Thewomanintrouble

Hello @Thewomanintrouble It is unlikely that your son will have 'slow onset diabetes' type 1 diabetes in children progresses very rapidly and you would know within days if he requires insulin. He would have symptoms such as extreme tiredness, thirst, frequent urination, blurry vision, vomiting, irritability.

Your son's diet would not affect his results either.

If I was in your shoes I would stop speculating on his health at this stage, unless he displays any of the symptoms mentioned above, then carry on life as normal.

Thanks Juicy,

But I’ve read threads on here, admittedly Adults with Type 2, said diet helped lower the HBac1 levels ? Could the same thing happen to Type 1 individuals?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hello @Thewomanintrouble

Both conditions are very different, type 1 is controlled by insulin, type 2 is medication and diet and there is much to learn with both, as your son has not been diagnosed with either please stop worrying as your anxieties can affect his mental health too.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can understand your anxiety about all this and also your fears about having screwed up the accuracy of the test. However, the fact that your son's C-peptide level is normal tells you that he is producing normal amounts of insulin, which means he does not have diabetes. This is a very definite fact which you need to appreciate. All sorts of things can raise or lower our blood glucose results. Stress can raise them very fast. None of this is a problem for a normal person who is producing normal amounts of insulin like your son. It is clear you have lingering doubts about what you have been told, but you need to believe it. Best wishes for a lovely, relaxing break for your son and yourself. You both need it.

Reactions: pjayem1964

Thewomanintrouble

I can understand your anxiety about all this and also your fears about having screwed up the accuracy of the test. However, the fact that your son's C-peptide level is normal tells you that he is producing normal amounts of insulin, which means he does not have diabetes. This is a very definite fact which you need to appreciate. All sorts of things can raise or lower our blood glucose results. Stress can raise them very fast. None of this is a problem for a normal person who is producing normal amounts of insulin like your son. It is clear you have lingering doubts about what you have been told, but you need to believe it. Best wishes for a lovely, relaxing break for your son and yourself. You both need it.

Thanks !

But I read you can still have normal C Peptide and by a type 1 Diabetic. I don’t mean to sound paranoid but I don’t want to leave this further down the line and my son may go through DKA.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Juicy,

But I’ve read threads on here, admittedly Adults with Type 2, said diet helped lower the HBac1 levels ? Could the same thing happen to Type 1 individuals?
it takes weeks to lower the levels significantly with type 2. and a HbA1c taken two weeks after the first one will not be significantly different anyway, as it is based on the previous 13 weeks.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks !

But I read you can still have normal C Peptide and by a type 1 Diabetic. I don’t mean to sound paranoid but I don’t want to leave this further down the line and my son may go through DKA.

If your son were to develop type 1 diabetes which at his age would be more likely than developing type 2, you would know very quickly based on the symptoms I gave above, however as he has not been diagnosed then why are you continuing to worry about this ? It sounds like you have developed anxiety as a result of this as you are not being re-assured by the comments made on this forum or your son's healthcare team, have you talked to your GP about this ?

Reactions: lucylocket61

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I, too, would like to know why the OP thinks that a C-peptide level which is normal can exist in a type 1 diabetic. Type 1, as we all know, means that less insulin than required or no insulin is being produced.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
As others have said, a week's low carb really isn't going to affect a 3 month hba1c. Plus, given that you're aware of the basic symptoms of diabetes, there's no way your son could develop T1 and go into DKA without you noticing. (I was diagnosed by my mother, pre glucometers, way before DKA, just on the basis of night time drinks of water.)

T2 really isn't an issue for kids unless they're obese.

Try not to stress, you'll know if your son becomes diabetic, long before any damage is done. Just be glad he doesn't have it now.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But the first of these refers to an adult who may have MODY (Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young). This was named during the period when Type 1 diabetes was still regarded as something that was only diagnosed in a child or teenager. Clearly, this doesn't apply to type 1 in a child, which develops much more rapidly.
The second link also refers to an adult suspected to have LADA.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Reactions: lucylocket61

Thewomanintrouble

This isn't scientific evidence - these links relate to a forum discussion based on MODY and LADA so not relevant at all.

If I were you I would stop worrying and go and have some fun with your son instead of reading forums and speculating on a health condition he doesn't have.

Are you normally this harsh ? Please be sympathetic to a parent whose child has had gazillions of tests due to suspected Diabetes and is still not out of the clear and will have continuous montioring. If you have nothing nice to say, leave off my thread

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you normally this harsh ? Please be sympathetic to a parent whose child has had gazillions of tests due to suspected Diabetes and is still not out of the clear and will have continuous montioring. If you have nothing nice to say, leave off my thread
these are open threads, people can post as they wish within the rules of this forum. And I see nothing harsh in any response you have received so far. I thought you would be relived to know that the links you made were not scientifically sound.

Thewomanintrouble

these are open threads, people can post as they wish within the rules of this forum. And I see nothing harsh in any response you have received so far. I thought you would be relived to know that the links you made were not scientifically sound.

I just found the poster quite abrupt. Reading the links, a few commenters mentioned “You can still have normal C-peptide levels and still be type1”.

My son is still not out the clear, we are still waiting for the antibodies results to get back.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

As one parent to another I am completely sympathetic, however I do not agree that this continued speculation you have over his health is doing either you or your son any good at all, sorry if you felt my response was harsh, I am simply being honest with you.

At present you have not had a diagnosis so take joy from that, I have been 6.5 years diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, I live daily on a tightrope juggling my insulin intake, working full time and a mum and I would not wish this diagnosis on anyone, if you don't have a diagnosis do not get dragged down with worry or make assumptions about his health - carpe diem.

Reactions: pjayem1964

Thewomanintrouble

As one parent to another I am completely sympathetic, however I do not agree that this continued speculation you have over his health is doing either you or your son any good at all, sorry if you felt my response was harsh, I am simply being honest with you.

At present you have not had a diagnosis so take joy from that, I have been 6.5 years diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, I live daily on a tightrope juggling my insulin intake, working full time and a mum and I would not wish this diagnosis on anyone, if you don't have a diagnosis do not get dragged down with worry or make assumptions about his health - carpe diem.

I apologise then for being quite snappy. My son has many other health conditions and I’m the type to “Do something now before it gets worse” type of person and I guess it comes across as Anxiety.

I sympathise with you having Type 1 and hope your at a place where your able to juggle it well, as long-side being a parent.

But your right, I need to enjoy today. Right now he doesn’t have a diagnosis, so I will let go and let give till then.

Thanks again

Reactions: Juicyj and DCUKMod