Type 1 Weight Loss

kb2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, im seeing my Diabetic Nurse Clinic tomorrow for my HBA1C etc, etc. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on ways they can help me lose weight? Or if any other fellow T1's have any success stories? I know at my appointment I can see the dietician etc but what ways would they be able to help me? I'm not overly over weight, however it would be nice to be a size smaller or 2 for going on holiday at the end of the year!!

Khushi Nagpal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey!! I think just exercising regularly, going out for morning walks, at the least, could help you. You could try yoga if you want to. Drinking a good/healthy amount of water also helps loose weight.

For a suitable diet, I believe that a nutritionist knows what is best (and safest)! Your dietician will probably be able to recommmend a proper diet with the correct proportions of the types of food required and not required. They will be able to develop meal plans and even record your progress over a period of time, in terms of weight.

Good luck!!

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is what I posted from my experience in another post, may help you. The thing to remember is its a marathon not a sprint, it has to be a sustainable change in diet and exercise otherwise you will very quickly pile on the pounds again.

"I was in the same boat as you around 2 months ago. I had excess belly fat which really started to annoy me and wanted to lose fat. Over the past 6 weeks I've lost ~4-5kg and it took a bit of trial and error with insulin and diet.

First tings first, you must get your blood glucose levels under control, too low glucose and you will eat unnecessary calories, too high and this is not only of detriment in the long term but increases muscle breakdown - which is essential for fat loss (as more muscle uses more energy essentially).

I have been doing a mix of HIIT and weight training, generally the HIIT lasts 20-25 min max and weight training I typically focus on one area such as back/chest/legs. everyone does it differently, but because my main aim was fat loss I start with cardio and then follow with weight training, I then cool down with 5-6 minutes on the bike.

One thing I noticed was my glucose levels dropping during training due to HIIT, so either take a bottle of lucozade sport with you or ensure your glucose levels are slightly elevated before going to the gym, secondly I dropped my basal insulin from 26 units to 20-22, as I typically go to the gym after work to prevent hypos during the night.

Also important as stated before is your diet, I still ate what I did before but I reduced my portion sizes, also remember you will likely require less insulin following training, if you inject too much you fall back into the cycle of hypo and extra calories.

Stick to a rather simple diet so you can become aware of how much insulin is required.

I learned a lot from the Diabetic Muscle and Fitness website and YouTube channel, so that's also a good source of info.

Hope this helps."

Reactions: figster