HBA1C 10 months on.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow well done what an inspiration. Great to see how your liver function has improved at the same time as your hbaca1 improvements. I didn’t go as hard as you but did do a 23/1 fast early on for a month which I’m sure did a lot of the work on reducing my figures and it certainly worked on reducing size of my middle on particular. Excellent work

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow well done what an inspiration. Great to see how your liver function has improved at the same time as your hbaca1 improvements. I didn’t go as hard as you but did do a 23/1 fast early on for a month which I’m sure did a lot of the work on reducing my figures and it certainly worked on reducing size of my middle on particular. Excellent work
If I get anywhere near those number you have achieved over the next two years - I will be over the moon. Well done to you to.

Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Sue the Newcastle Diet is a very low calorie diet, designed for those with T2. It isn't recommended for T1s.
Thanks, I didn't know. Can I ask why it isn't for T1?

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just thought I would drop an update in. I dont post so much now, mainly because I haven't got anything new to say.

Had my annual BUPA health check, just over a year since the last one and 5 months on from my HBA1C taken at my local GP.

HBA1C still good now at 31 - so if you take the three month average that is maintained at around 30 for 8 months and I would say I am less of a carb nutter now - certainly not KETO (less than 20 a day) but on average less than 100 a day. I allow myself some little treats now - a few potatoes, some chips, some pastry and some I have a small slice of my wife's cake when in costa once and a while. Then there is all the little things - salad cream on salad, make my own prawn cocktail sauce - and I just dont have too much of any of them rather than a year ago not eating any of them. And they have almost no impact. I drink coffee with milk a few a day now - and maybe a couple of cortado's too. Not managed to convince myself my favourite Latte is a great idea but I am inching towards it.

Cholesterol ratio now normal (that is a first!) All ok except the total (which we all know is a meaningless bit of math).
Weight still really good - I have put on some since my lowest of lows but I am still 32inch waist and all my new wardrobe fits nicely.

I am going to make a push again - if you are reading this and thinking of ND - do it with the right support - it is only 8 weeks and might make a big difference to you.

Good luck all.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just thought I would drop an update in. I dont post so much now, mainly because I haven't got anything new to say.

Had my annual BUPA health check, just over a year since the last one and 5 months on from my HBA1C taken at my local GP.

HBA1C still good now at 31 - so if you take the three month average that is maintained at around 30 for 8 months and I would say I am less of a carb nutter now - certainly not KETO (less than 20 a day) but on average less than 100 a day. I allow myself some little treats now - a few potatoes, some chips, some pastry and some I have a small slice of my wife's cake when in costa once and a while. Then there is all the little things - salad cream on salad, make my own prawn cocktail sauce - and I just dont have too much of any of them rather than a year ago not eating any of them. And they have almost no impact. I drink coffee with milk a few a day now - and maybe a couple of cortado's too. Not managed to convince myself my favourite Latte is a great idea but I am inching towards it.

Cholesterol ratio now normal (that is a first!) All ok except the total (which we all know is a meaningless bit of math).
Weight still really good - I have put on some since my lowest of lows but I am still 32inch waist and all my new wardrobe fits nicely.

I am going to make a push again - if you are reading this and thinking of ND - do it with the right support - it is only 8 weeks and might make a big difference to you.

Good luck all.

Fantastic update, very well done. It's great that you let us know how you're doing, stay well and best wishes.

Reactions: Fleegle and Prem51

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Fleegle I have just read this post from the beginning and have to say it is inspirational, and great that you are still doing so well.

Reactions: Fleegle

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good to hear that all is well with you @Fleegle, and thanks for the update - truly inspirational! :)

Reactions: Fleegle

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So as you might know or see from my signature I was diagnosed about 10months ago with a HBA1c of 95. No symptoms that I was aware of or recognised. After some good work with LCHF diet I got my HBA1C down to 44 in 8 weeks - boy was I strict. But then over the following weeks my numbers came up broadly the same and my morning liver dump became a bigger issue.

I am a great fan of the Newcastle diet to - and highly recommend it particularly if your ALT is high. You can follow my ND thread here:- https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/newcastle-diet.126691/

I had my HBA1C done but wanted to get some other blood work done on my liver which is not part of my GPs standard 6monthly check. My HBA1C is now 30 after completing the ND and getting through Christmas. This is with an unwelcome morning liver dump! So pretty pleased with that - but there is more....

My ALT was 40. Not NAFLD but one point away from it and this continued even when I lost a lot of weight and got my HBA1C down; I didn't seem to able to shift it. Today I received the news that my ALT score is now 18. And this I put firmly down to the ND which I think many people have posted is why it is similar to the bariatric pre surgery diet.

My ND finished in November - so I am not just out of it - I am trying to maintain a good if slightly less strict LCHF diet but my numbers are almost exactly the same as when I finished the ND. With the exception of morning liver dumps which are back as they were when last on the LCHF. That change to my liver is dramatic and I am really pleased with that. The FBG and 2 hour readings for food fell through the floor after that ND - they really did. Every carb counts for me unfortunately but now I don't get an 8 2 hours after a 7g carb meal. Sometimes just a little blip. All other bloods good - well very good - except cholesterol for those that worry about that and I don't - at the moment. It isn't a rise I am to worry about - my aim was to get Blood Sugar down and that is where I am.

During my 10months, early on I did a 5 day 600 calorie diet and that bought my numbers down a big notch. I also did a 5 day fast which was interesting and not something I will be doing too often. Thanks to Dr Fung for his very insightful fasting book.

Thanks for all the help from everyone here - and Prof Taylor for his research and everyone who is a LC fan. From those that read my posts you will know I value LC and ND equally - I think for some they might make the biggest difference when chosen together and I hope that others will be brave enough to try both as I did.

As well as many posters - there was one person who helped me out big time with great advice and support in those early days and she knows who she is I cannot thank everyone enough for responding to my stupid questions.

I am curious to know what was your average daily fasting blood glucose levels?

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am curious to know what was your average daily fasting blood glucose levels?
Was? When?
My FBG can be anywhere from about 4.5 - 5.
It has come down like a staircase. Took a while to get down at all - post meal would be good then morning FBG 6+ at time. Then a combination of all things from ND - a couple of proper full on 5 day fasts - a week of 600 calorie meals once a day on the fast mimicking diet dropped them and they all combined.
Edited to add - I also at the beginning of this year have added cinamon, turmeric, apple cider vinegar capsules.

That being said I have started to reduce significantly the amount of testing I do. I like CGM devices but they are a bit rich and (it does take all sorts) I am convinced that the constant testing and double checking, triple checking was stressing me out a bit.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was? When?
It has come down like a staircase. Took a while to get down at all - post meal would be good then morning FBG 6+ at time. Then a combination of all things from ND - a couple of proper full on 5 day fasts - a week of 600 calorie meals once a day on the fast mimicking diet dropped them and they all combined.
Edited to add - I also at the beginning of this year have added cinamon, turmeric, apple cider vinegar capsules.

That being said I have started to reduce significantly the amount of testing I do. I like CGM devices but they are a bit rich and (it does take all sorts) I am convinced that the constant testing and double checking, triple checking was stressing me out a bit.

Did you say your FBG is 6 + ?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was? When?

Really pleased for you, @Fleegle. Can I suggest that you take a day, maybe 2 or 3 times a month, and test through each of those days, fasting, pre and post prandial, and keep a record of numbers. Also weigh yourself a few times a month, giving yourself a limit of a kilo or two weight gain, but take action immediately if you start to see numbers increasing. It is the maintenence of good numbers that is the most difficult part. No need to obsess, but remain vigilant.
I do like your pragmatic aporoach, though. Well done. Stay well.

Reactions: Fleegle and Prem51

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you say your FBG is 6 + ?
In your note you asked what was - not what is - and therefore I wanted to give you the full story of the last 15months.

As of now, my FBG is late 4's early 5's.

I kinda don't think that is the big deal though. Even some time ago my FBG could be 4.3 and by midday it would have climbed slowly through the morning going to about 6-7. No food or drinks outside water. And the CGM caught all of that where a morning test would not. Getting rid of that regular climb has been by far the hardest part of this - by far.

Reactions: Prem51 and whitech

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In your note you asked what was - not what is - and therefore I wanted to give you the full story of the last 15months.

As of now, my FBG is late 4's early 5's.

I kinda don't think that is the big deal though. Even some time ago my FBG could be 4.3 and by midday it would have climbed slowly through the morning going to about 6-7. No food or drinks outside water. And the CGM caught all of that where a morning test would not. Getting rid of that regular climb has been by far the hardest part of this - by far.

Understood.

Could you please share your typical breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Thank you!

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Understood.

Could you please share your typical breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Thank you!
Umm. Tricky.
Breakfast either skip or have eggs and bacon mushrooms and tinned toms.
Always a tea and coffee - sometimes home baked peanut butter cookies. Terribly high in calories but I love em (to much).

Lunch
Depends if I am at home or work. Work to complex so normally nothing or a salad coleslaw and meats.
At home - meats, nuts, cookies again. Cheese. Also low carb bread (5 per slice).

Dinner.
Meats - sometimes potatoes, Rice substitute or pasta substitute (naked things). Vegatables or tom sauce.
Chocolate - Torras, cookies, cake, more nuts. Oppo or Appro Ice cream normally with chocolate source.

I am a big snacker.

I eat at least 100g of nuts a day and consume at least four coffees and a couple of teas on a good day.

I try my best to remove unwanted carbs - but in the end I find I bust 20gs sometimes by breakfast.
Then with the chocolate, dinner and nuts I end up the day north of 50.

It always amazes me when I sit down and count each and every carb I am shocked how many I have had when I think I have been pretty good.

Reactions: Prem51

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Umm. Tricky.
Breakfast either skip or have eggs and bacon mushrooms and tinned toms.
Always a tea and coffee - sometimes home baked peanut butter cookies. Terribly high in calories but I love em (to much).

Lunch
Depends if I am at home or work. Work to complex so normally nothing or a salad coleslaw and meats.
At home - meats, nuts, cookies again. Cheese. Also low carb bread (5 per slice).

Dinner.
Meats - sometimes potatoes, Rice substitute or pasta substitute (naked things). Vegatables or tom sauce.
Chocolate - Torras, cookies, cake, more nuts. Oppo or Appro Ice cream normally with chocolate source.

I am a big snacker.

I eat at least 100g of nuts a day and consume at least four coffees and a couple of teas on a good day.

I try my best to remove unwanted carbs - but in the end I find I bust 20gs sometimes by breakfast.
Then with the chocolate, dinner and nuts I end up the day north of 50.

It always amazes me when I sit down and count each and every carb I am shocked how many I have had when I think I have been pretty good.

Thank you for sharing.

I am definitely NOT a low-carber. I eat about 80-120g of complex carbs daily (brown rice, egg noodles, avocados, LivLife bread) and I also have 2-3 apples or pears or plums per day. I work out and play high level competitive tennis (semi-pro) so I need to eat more.

I guess we are all different. What works for you would not necessarily work for me etc.

Very well done on lowering your HBA1c.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!