Lchf But Not Keto .... Possible?

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @ResistingResistanceUK I did the same as @bulkbiker I went straight for LCHF & 15 -20g carbs per day. I also started to fast 18/6. I dropped my carbs to 5g and started to fast 23/1. I find this easy as I'm not hungry. When I've got more weight off I will look at going back to 15 - 20g carbs. We are all different so just see what suits your needs. You are in the right place for help, advice and support, good luck with your journey:)

Reactions: Freema

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Hi everyone, I’ve been reading about LCHF and I’m wondering if it’s possible to do this without Ketosis? Only because I don’t think I’d be able to stick to 1 or 0g of carbs - that seems extreme to me.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to have a more balanced approach to the low carbs side of things?
There is a mixture here. It comes down to your own physiology and preferences. Personally, I don't do keto nor do I fast. However, I do restrict my carb intake as well as kJ intake.

I limit my carbs to 20g per meal and may go to 30g if it is very low GI and has been verified with my meter. I'm 88 kg so I have no more than around 11,000 kJ in total from all food sources. This program works for me but may not suit others. It is very much a case of suck it and see. It isn't all bad and once you get the idea it becomes routine.

Have fun,
Glenn

ResistingResistanceUK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a mixture here. It comes down to your own physiology and preferences. Personally, I don't do keto nor do I fast. However, I do restrict my carb intake as well as kJ intake.

I limit my carbs to 20g per meal and may go to 30g if it is very low GI and has been verified with my meter. I'm 88 kg so I have no more than around 11,000 kJ in total from all food sources. This program works for me but may not suit others. It is very much a case of suck it and see. It isn't all bad and once you get the idea it becomes routine.

Have fun,
Glenn

I’m getting that feeling that I’d have to see what my meter says to me! Once I get the blimming thing!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I believe that once the threshold of diabetes (or perhaps even pre-diabetes) has been breached, ones ability to cope with high carbs is diminished permanently. The amounts of carbs vary based on food type (some might be ok with some pasta, but the same person may spike badly on rice, and vice versa), and other factors such as sleep, which a lack of increases insulin resistance which means more insulin is required to clear a nominal amount of glucose. It is possible to have some metabolic flexibility e.g. last week whilst in Morocco I had 2 dark chocolate sponges, each around the size of a match box, followed by large nectarine for afters - fbg the next morning was 4.7. I wouldn't do this more than single digit times each year as I don't want to jeopardise my figures, like 3.9 this morning.

I like to eat a lot of nuts (around 500 grams today, with coconut milk and cocoa (0.25 grams)), as my dinner was a salmon steak, 3 Portobello mushrooms and 250 grams of asparagus, I know was closer to 40 grams of carbs total; with exercise keytones were 0.5 on a random check. It is not worth obsessing over keytones as, the measured ones don't indicate what you actually are using, but you at least know fat metabolism is occuring - fat adaptation is what is important, which is achieved with a well formulated LCHF regime, and doesn't need to be to ketogenic levels (although keto is my preference). I am comfortable on a mixture of one to two meals a day, with perhaps 4 days being one meal. This means most days I try not to eat for up to 23 hours (no hunger and I able to work out for both cardio and resistance)

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds is a good resource to see what types of foods are a good starting point for a visual representation of LCHF type foods.

Reactions: liarsdance

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know it sounds scary at first but it really does work (I've been eater lower carb/low carb for the last 3 weeks.)

I started out with a maximum of 80 carbs a day. At first, I missed them but I found I felt better physically right away. Over time, I realized I didn't crave them the same way and realized I was eating under 50 most days. I'm now under 30, sometimes lower. I use an app on my phone called Carb Master to record them (it allows you to set your own target.)

I just got a meter last week, it really helps see the effects on blood sugar (as I'm fairly new to a meter, I'm still checking to see if any particular foods cause spikes). In my case, it seems soybeans may cause spikes. Although there are much lower in carbs than other beans, my highest reading was following eating homemade chili with them. I will try one more time and if I get another spike, I'll eliminate them. (As another poster says, there is some individual variation.)

Last edited:

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm 62 and have been overweight all my adult life. When I was diagnosed back in May, I immediately started on a keto diet (<20g) and daily intermittent fasting - both of which I had tried before to lose weight, before falling off the wagon again... ;) Now I fast for a minimum of 16 hours every day, sometimes more; in practice this means omitting breakfast and having a late lunch. I eat from a menu that includes meat, fish, seafood, poultry, salad veggies, leafy greens, olives, avocado, full fat yoghurt, double cream, butter, eggs, cheeses, mushrooms, nuts and seeds. I completely avoid anything grain based, potatoes, rice and pasta. I also avoid milk and most processed food. But I do have a small amount of raspberries or blackberries now and then, a couple of squares of Lindt 85% or 90% and enjoy an occasional G&T. Importantly, my carb cravings have disappeared along with my joint pain and that alone is enough to keep me eating keto!

Mirroring what others above have said, we each have our own approach and own journey to make. This approach and journey is mine - that doesn't make it the one for everyone.

All the very best
~Heath

M

Moggely

How does one even know if they are in ketosis i have been doing lc for over 5 months about 20 carbs per day maybe 25 and sometimes even less, still waiting for all this energy or maybe i have been so anxious about this illness that it's causing me to be tired most of the time. Still have joint pain as well. Oh well onward i go I'm sure i will find out one day.

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How does one even know if they are in ketosis

Everyone is different in how they respond to eating low carb. The way I see and understand it is if I eat under 20g carb a day (and I mean if I'm being absolutely strict about that), I'll be in ketosis; I'm happy just knowing that - but the fact that I'm not hungry or craving food confirms it for me. Because I fast every day, I know that I'll be eating with a calorie deficit while in keto and therefore I'll lose weight. Some people use Ketostix but they're not and never have been for people measuring nutritional ketosis - they're for measuring ketones in urine.

~Heath

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How does one even know if they are in ketosis i have been doing lc for over 5 months about 20 carbs per day maybe 25 and sometimes even less, still waiting for all this energy or maybe i have been so anxious about this illness that it's causing me to be tired most of the time. Still have joint pain as well. Oh well onward i go I'm sure i will find out one day.
I know I am in ketosis because I have recently bought a ketometer. I had been struggling to lose weight and my guess is that I had been going in and out of ketosis on LCHF, but not losing much weight because I wasn't staying there. My energy levels are so much higher now ( I have been in ketosis for 2 weeks according to my meter) Like you I still have joint pain though.

M

Moggely

I know I am in ketosis because I have recently bought a ketometer. I had been struggling to lose weight and my guess is that I had been going in and out of ketosis on LCHF, but not losing much weight because I wasn't staying there. My energy levels are so much higher now ( I have been in ketosis for 2 weeks according to my meter) Like you I still have joint pain though.
@zand thank you for sharing that because i am new as many others are and we simply don't understand this illness.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand thank you for sharing that because i am new as many others are and we simply don't understand this illness.
We are all learning new stuff every day...even we oldies. :) I had to ask @bulkbiker about ketones recently and I have been T2 for almost 7 years. :rolleyes: I also find that newbies can teach me a thing or 2 as well as they are looking at things with fresh eyes.

Sorry I didn't reply to your post earlier, I was away on hols when you posted and have only just seen it. :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Zand, is your ketometer a blood sugar meter, which can also measure ketones, or something else? I don't particularly strive for ketosis, but am interested (and others may be too) nonetheless.

Thanks!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Zand, is your ketometer a blood sugar meter, which can also measure ketones, or something else? I don't particularly strive for ketosis, but am interested (and others may be too) nonetheless.

Thanks!
For ketone measuring I have a Caresens Dual meter from Spirit healthcare, thanks @bulkbiker for telling me about them :) The keto strips are expensive (over a pound each) so I only test once a day now . It does test blood glucose too, but you need separate test strips to do that. I have 2 other meters for that, so I don't bother with buying BG test strips for the Ketometer.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For ketone measuring I have a Caresens Dual meter from Spirit healthcare, thanks @bulkbiker for telling me about them :) The keto strips are expensive (over a pound each) so I only test once a day now . It does test blood glucose too, but you need separate test strips to do that. I have 2 other meters for that, so I don't bother with buying BG test strips for the Ketometer.

Thanks Zand - I have one of those too, to salve my incessant curiosity, but just wondered if there was a new toy in town!

Glad you're finding something that's helping.