What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@OrsonKartt @Bubbsie my experience of DESMOND was very similar, with the trainers totally incapable of going off script. I too was ignored when I mentioned lchf.
The one positive aspect was that a couple of people came up to me at lunchtime and asked about lchf as I had the lowest HbA1C like you Bubbsie. They were really interested in it and I was able to point them in the direction of this forum, hopefully they are members now, in which case it will have been worth it.
What is frustrating is these courses must be costing the NHS good money DJC3...yet for me it was entirely redundant...if I hadn't had some experience before attending the course... I could have been heading for trouble if I'd relied on the advice given there.

Reactions: DJC3

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
@Bubbsie , @DJC3 @OrsonKartt - when I find myself thinking unprintable thoughts but needing to print them I find it helps to exchange the bad words with place names in Scotland. On which subject Bubbsie it sound like your course was a bit Falkirk Stenhousmuir and the teacher was a bit of a Motherwell for suggesting you go home early and take your fancy LCHF ideas with you.
Can't wait until Thursday now. I'll let you know how it goes.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is frustrating is these courses must be costing the NHS good money DJC3...yet for me it was entirely redundant...if I hadn't had some experience before attending the course... I could have been heading for trouble if I'd relied on the advice given there.

Yes, same here. It is so frustrating. Such a waste of public money.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bubbsie , @DJC3 @OrsonKartt - when I find myself thinking unprintable thoughts but needing to print them I find it helps to exchange the bad words with place names in Scotland. On which subject Bubbsie it sound like your course was a bit Falkirk Stenhousmuir and the teacher was a bit of a Motherwell for suggesting you go home early and take your fancy LCHF ideas with you.
Can't wait until Thursday now. I'll let you know how it goes.

That’s brilliant @rhubarb73 i am still chuckling after reading your post for the 4th time!
My uncle told his kids ( my cousins) that the worst swearwords he knew, and that they should only ever use under extreme circumstances was ‘District Nurse’ It was years before they realised that nobody else thought they were dirty words, and we all still say it at times of provocation.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
That’s brilliant @rhubarb73 i am still chuckling after reading your post for the 4th time!
My uncle told his kids ( my cousins) that the worst swearwords he knew, and that they should only ever use under extreme circumstances was ‘District Nurse’ It was years before they realised that nobody else thought they were dirty words, and we all still say it at times of provocation.

Whereas in fact the very worst swearword is Kintyre. I very rarely use that one myself

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
I was being diplomatic there @OrsonKartt … when I think of what I'd like to say I blush...one really telling point for me was bringing a friend with me who is also diabetic...she has not had the best of control...some negligence on her part some really bad advice from her health care team...she is insulin dependant in addition to other medications...when her BG levels were increasing her surgery brought in what they refer to as 'a trouble shooter'...when I asked her what the trouble shooter did she said the nurse simply upped her insulin dose & other medications...her trouble shooter was one of the educators on the course...it seemed doomed to failure after I discovered that.:(:(
This makes me so sad...

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Anyhow another day...I'm up early and I've promised my cycling friend kippers for breakfast so I'm about to cycle off to the smokery and collect some. Haven't had kippers in an age. My fasting glucose level is 5.3 Enjoy your day , if you possibly can !

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Day off so up a bit later than normal with a very pleasing 4.2.

@Bubbsie @OrsonKartt @DJC3 @rhubarb73 - very similar experience with DESMOND here. Got brushed off during the ‘sugar cube’ exercise when asked how the number of sugar cubes in a small portion of white rice would affect eating. My suggestion to avoid it altogether didn’t go down well.

Apart from the negative impact on BG management, what annoys me is that they track the Hba1cs of those attending so we’ll all be bumping up the ‘success rate’ of the course.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A very unwelcome 5.9 today. A less optimistic chap would be be looking at the evidence and feeling very sceptical about LC eating etc as nothing more than weight control. It would appear that an urgent return to taking Metformin is in order as it seems that was at least having a slight effect. I could be a little off colour so I will wait a day or two but bg is the only marker not at the top of its game.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.4 at 07.45 probably due to bad nights sleep and Oppo for pudding. Am starting to think two scoops of Oppo is two scoops too far for me and I never feel great after it. Fasting till lunch since over my self imposed 6.2 threshold to allow breakfast. Know how Ian felt yesterday. Still could be worse. Have a good day everyone.