Hba1c Number 3....but What Is All This Ferritin Malarkey

TonyHancock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my second HbA1c since diagnosis - my third in total - this week, and have dropped to 38. (90 originally in Oct '17 and then 40 in January '18) No meds just LCHF diet.

My total cholesterol has risen to 6.0 but my ratios appear very good, pretty happy with triglycerides at 0.9.

The number that stood out was my ferritin level - 500* - way higher than the "normal" high of 300 for a male. The GP didn't comment but a quick google leaves me a little concerned.

Anyone else have comments or views?

* I am in Australia so not sure if numbers are reported the same elsewhere.

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
A quick google tells me that a high Ferritin level (marker for iron) can sometimes flag up thyroid, arthritis or other inflammatory problems. Sorry, could not find a measurment that speaks of what levels should require further investigation.

Reactions: TonyHancock

TonyHancock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are a couple of issues that Google flags up that concern me. Alcohol consumption may play a part in increased ferritin levels and ferritin levels are also associated with the development of T2 diabetes. Given the 300 level as max high on the paperwork from the GP I am surprised that it was not raised at my consultation.

Interestingly ferritin does not appear on my previous blood tests.

M

Moggely

Hi My ferritin levels were 1600 dangerously high and also diagnosed with diabetes at the same time. I had to have the blood removed as it effects the liver heart and thyroid so it's not just a small thing . I am surprised your GP didn't suggest you give blood as a way of removing it. I am also in Australia. It took 4 months for my iron levels to become normal and also thyroid levels to even out. I think another trip to your GP would be necessary. Good luck.

Reactions: TonyHancock