Newcastle diet.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Week 8 Day 53
So my BG has been pretty good today.
I am watering down the shakes now - reduces carbs then making up the missing calories, fat and protein with some nuts.
Much less carbs. None the less breakfast was about 12g carbs and I had a peek under 8 that declined after about an hour. I went off like a rocket but 30mins in had slowed and I just had this slow increase.

Lunch which is much less carbs and dinner the same were both very slight blips and back down to around 5 - 5.5. after two hours.

So for me my BG has improved and by quite a lot. But that could easily be as a result of being starving when I eat and I need to see what normal food (Low Carb) and calories a day does.

Much better results than before I started.
Congratulations and well done for sticking at it.

Reactions: gvintagedrken

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 8 Day 56.
The end - well not quite.

So today was the last official day of my 8 weeks but I have said that I am going to have those last few shakes then migrate back to a lower carb food. And here is where I am. I will try to stick to 800 for a little while as long as I don't continue to lose 3lbs a week otherwise I might be cured but also divorced by Christmas.

I am still spiking after the shakes - but it does go up then down quicker. Not all of the time though - so tonight for example it stayed in the 7's into 2h30min mark which I do not really get. In general my BG during the day is much lower - much lower. I can hover between 4-4.5 5maybe for hours on end between food.

But when I have those carbs - still wosh up even if the down is faster. So I don't think I could describe it as any more than a noticeable and significant reversal - but in no way a cure I don't think. Of course I don't know what normal might look like with these shakes but I am sure I am nowhere near.

Let me bust some often posted myths.
-You are not hungry all of the time. I don't think I could say it got easier so much as every so often I would have a day where I would of liked more calories and some days I felt full. That btw is the story of my life.
-The shakes are not that bad - 25g of carbs is still only 75 plus another 5 in the veg a day so that is still less than 100 and many here have more than that - although of course it is all milk so spikey at the scale.
- In the end - last week or so - I was watering them down - someone else posted that and they are much tastier and less carbs I actually enjoyed them and just had enough nuts to ensure my fat/protein/calories stayed between 7&8 hundred.
- I had more days below 800 than I had expected. Some days 500 - often 700 particularly in those early days.
- I added some fat (and counted those calories) of a spoon full of olive oil to cook the veg in - great tip super tasty. This apparently reduces risk of gall stones, I couldn't find any research on that on the sites but it did seem like a sensible thing to do.
- I used Tesco Ultraslim shakes - almost the same as the Opti ones used in the original project but people have posted that other shakes are now used.
- Of course real food would have been better - but a lot more complex. I think that I would not have managed that because when I was away on holiday or business I took no chances and had my shake - and I wonder if I had been on food whether I would have guessed (badly I suspect) what the actual calories in the meal were. We all know eggs are not eggs right,
- Given that most people will consider their journey to be a lifetime of LC then what is 8weeks? Nothing - 2 weeks longer than a school summer holiday and they fly by don't they?

I am extremely pleased with the weight - the visceral fat - the waist size - all really good.
I have lost more weight than I wanted to - I hit the 15% on the diet and on my journey I have lost somewhere near 5 stone since May. In fact just over that now. I am 6ft tall a size 32inch waste and 11stone 8lbs on Saturday just gone. Male. So that is quite low but not super super skinny.

I think I have taken a similar step down that I did when I did the fast mimicking week and I am keen after Christmas to do a few weeks of that over a few months.

I have always thought that if I had no symptons at all - and was diagnosed by accident that I may well have had this condition for a long while and given my 95HBA1C result on diagnosis how would I know. I wasn't borderline and even though I went low carb straight away I was over 10 for weeks after I that (urine dip strips from Amazon told the bleak story...).

I am interested in what December holds but here is my reflection.

I have no regrets at all for giving it a go. I am not offering advice but if you are worried about being able to do it - don't. I was the least committed to this I have ever been to in anything in my life - I just didn't fancy it - but I did it - I enjoyed the discipline and of course at times I hated it (week in France on holiday was seriously tough). I would ask why you would not give it a go and you to might have great outcomes that others have posted.

For me next - an OGTT test which I will fail badly but it will tell me some more data about my condition.

And here is my final conundrum... My BG curve is almost exactly the same with the watered down 10-15g carb shakes as they were when I was doing 25g shakes. And even when I did 50g shakes for a big morning boost when I was on the road all day. The curve and peeks were nearly exact. I have no idea what that means - I am sure someone might.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea what that means - I am sure someone might.
It sounds like your first phase insulin response is compromised. I have the same thing, though I can tolerate more carbs since I started time restricted eating than I could when first diagnosed. One of my genetic polymorphisms is described below:

"rs13266634(C;C) - increased risk for type-2 diabetes - rs13266634 is a SNP in the zinc transporter protein member 8 SLC30A8 gene that has primarily been associated with type-2 diabetes in several studies. This SNP is also known as the Arg325Trp or R325W variant; the (C) allele encodes the arginine (R), and the (T) allele encodes the tryptophan (W). significantly associated p = 0.0073; in 1,630 Japanese subjects with type-2 diabetes and in 1,064 controls The major alleles of the SLC30A8 SNP rs13266634 and the HHEX SNP rs7923837 associate with reduced insulin secretion, but not with insulin resistance. 46% of European non-diabetic offspring of type-2 diabetes patients are rs13266634(C;C) homozygotes; they are diabetes-prone and characterised by a 19% decrease in first-phase insulin release following an intravenous glucose load."

Seems to be a fairly common variant among Europeans. Maybe you have the same?

Jenny Ruhl's description of first phase insulin release:

"First Phase Insulin Release

When a health person starts to eat a meal, the beta-cells kick into high gear. Their stored insulin is released immediately. Then, if the blood sugar concentration rises over 100 mg/dl, (5.5 mmol/L) the beta-cells start secreting more insulin into the blood stream. This early release of stored insulin after a meal is called "First Phase Insulin Release." In a healthy person it keeps the blood sugar from rising very high because it is available to meet most of the glucose that comes from the digestion of the current meal.
The amount of insulin secreted in the first phase response to a meal is usually determined by the amount of glucose encountered in the previous meal. In a healthy person, this first phase response peaks a few minutes after you've started your a meal. The blood sugar rise caused by the meal peaks about half an hour after you start eating."

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

endgame

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Fleegie, well done on completing your mission, your figure/figures look really great, I have been following your thread with interest, good luck with the on going fight, watch out for the festive season :) Regards

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds like your first phase insulin response is compromised. I have the same thing, though I can tolerate more carbs since I started time restricted eating than I could when first diagnosed. One of my genetic polymorphisms is described below:

"rs13266634(C;C) - increased risk for type-2 diabetes - rs13266634 is a SNP in the zinc transporter protein member 8 SLC30A8 gene that has primarily been associated with type-2 diabetes in several studies. This SNP is also known as the Arg325Trp or R325W variant; the (C) allele encodes the arginine (R), and the (T) allele encodes the tryptophan (W). significantly associated p = 0.0073; in 1,630 Japanese subjects with type-2 diabetes and in 1,064 controls The major alleles of the SLC30A8 SNP rs13266634 and the HHEX SNP rs7923837 associate with reduced insulin secretion, but not with insulin resistance. 46% of European non-diabetic offspring of type-2 diabetes patients are rs13266634(C;C) homozygotes; they are diabetes-prone and characterised by a 19% decrease in first-phase insulin release following an intravenous glucose load."

Seems to be a fairly common variant among Europeans. Maybe you have the same?

Jenny Ruhl's description of first phase insulin release:

"First Phase Insulin Release

When a health person starts to eat a meal, the beta-cells kick into high gear. Their stored insulin is released immediately. Then, if the blood sugar concentration rises over 100 mg/dl, (5.5 mmol/L) the beta-cells start secreting more insulin into the blood stream. This early release of stored insulin after a meal is called "First Phase Insulin Release." In a healthy person it keeps the blood sugar from rising very high because it is available to meet most of the glucose that comes from the digestion of the current meal.
The amount of insulin secreted in the first phase response to a meal is usually determined by the amount of glucose encountered in the previous meal. In a healthy person, this first phase response peaks a few minutes after you've started your a meal. The blood sugar rise caused by the meal peaks about half an hour after you start eating."

Yes it is very possible I guess. It would explain why my pattern is a fairly nice curve but always time shifted about 30mins - 1hour. My BG at 2 hour often rose but after three hours my figures are low. My total peek time was also short but shifted to the right.

Could well be first phase shot - but insulin production there after slow but ok. Then I can run low for long period (for low not silly low just normal low).

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Week 8 Day 56.
The end - well not quite.

So today was the last official day of my 8 weeks but I have said that I am going to have those last few shakes then migrate back to a lower carb food. And here is where I am. I will try to stick to 800 for a little while as long as I don't continue to lose 3lbs a week otherwise I might be cured but also divorced by Christmas.

I am still spiking after the shakes - but it does go up then down quicker. Not all of the time though - so tonight for example it stayed in the 7's into 2h30min mark which I do not really get. In general my BG during the day is much lower - much lower. I can hover between 4-4.5 5maybe for hours on end between food.

But when I have those carbs - still wosh up even if the down is faster. So I don't think I could describe it as any more than a noticeable and significant reversal - but in no way a cure I don't think. Of course I don't know what normal might look like with these shakes but I am sure I am nowhere near.

Let me bust some often posted myths.
-You are not hungry all of the time. I don't think I could say it got easier so much as every so often I would have a day where I would of liked more calories and some days I felt full. That btw is the story of my life.
-The shakes are not that bad - 25g of carbs is still only 75 plus another 5 in the veg a day so that is still less than 100 and many here have more than that - although of course it is all milk so spikey at the scale.
- In the end - last week or so - I was watering them down - someone else posted that and they are much tastier and less carbs I actually enjoyed them and just had enough nuts to ensure my fat/protein/calories stayed between 7&8 hundred.
- I had more days below 800 than I had expected. Some days 500 - often 700 particularly in those early days.
- I added some fat (and counted those calories) of a spoon full of olive oil to cook the veg in - great tip super tasty. This apparently reduces risk of gall stones, I couldn't find any research on that on the sites but it did seem like a sensible thing to do.
- I used Tesco Ultraslim shakes - almost the same as the Opti ones used in the original project but people have posted that other shakes are now used.
- Of course real food would have been better - but a lot more complex. I think that I would not have managed that because when I was away on holiday or business I took no chances and had my shake - and I wonder if I had been on food whether I would have guessed (badly I suspect) what the actual calories in the meal were. We all know eggs are not eggs right,
- Given that most people will consider their journey to be a lifetime of LC then what is 8weeks? Nothing - 2 weeks longer than a school summer holiday and they fly by don't they?

I am extremely pleased with the weight - the visceral fat - the waist size - all really good.
I have lost more weight than I wanted to - I hit the 15% on the diet and on my journey I have lost somewhere near 5 stone since May. In fact just over that now. I am 6ft tall a size 32inch waste and 11stone 8lbs on Saturday just gone. Male. So that is quite low but not super super skinny.

I think I have taken a similar step down that I did when I did the fast mimicking week and I am keen after Christmas to do a few weeks of that over a few months.

I have always thought that if I had no symptons at all - and was diagnosed by accident that I may well have had this condition for a long while and given my 95HBA1C result on diagnosis how would I know. I wasn't borderline and even though I went low carb straight away I was over 10 for weeks after I that (urine dip strips from Amazon told the bleak story...).

I am interested in what December holds but here is my reflection.

I have no regrets at all for giving it a go. I am not offering advice but if you are worried about being able to do it - don't. I was the least committed to this I have ever been to in anything in my life - I just didn't fancy it - but I did it - I enjoyed the discipline and of course at times I hated it (week in France on holiday was seriously tough). I would ask why you would not give it a go and you to might have great outcomes that others have posted.

For me next - an OGTT test which I will fail badly but it will tell me some more data about my condition.

And here is my final conundrum... My BG curve is almost exactly the same with the watered down 10-15g carb shakes as they were when I was doing 25g shakes. And even when I did 50g shakes for a big morning boost when I was on the road all day. The curve and peeks were nearly exact. I have no idea what that means - I am sure someone might.

Congrats, @Fleegle.

This took a lot of resolve and determination. Well done. (I am not sure I would have been able to follow through on this as you did.)

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So today I received an email from Prof Taylor. Well his research team at least. I had completely forgotten that in the middle of this I had cheekily written to him asking whether I could borrow his pancreatic scanner as I was having trouble sourcing one on amazon.

Alas he was unable to give me access to his toy - but the response was personalised to the ton of questions I had written and the advice great. Now I will share bits - but not the whole thing nor will I quote parts of it - that doesn't seem to be in the spirit.

They were adamant.
Lose weight - 15-20%.
It is all about the pancreas.
Viscral fat isn't the key (i.e. don't just use that) - but IS an indicator of progress.
They recommended evening meals post diet to be carb free(ish) no pasta pots or rice. Or a 6/1 5/2.
I found the whole thing - including links to books, research and practical advice really helpful.

Really felt special to have received a reply and one that actually tried to answer my questions. Of course they were really clear that they were not giving any form of medical advice - that should be on a 1-1 basis with my GP.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think we can say losing the fat from in the liver is required for getting “control by diet”, but still requires every meal to have limited carbs. However, if the fat is also lost from the pancreas, our body can cope with meals with a normal level of carbs provided we don’t regain the fat.

I have not yet reached 15% weight loss (var low carb) and from a few meals on holiday it is clear that my body still finds it hard to cope with a high carb meal, but BG does recover within 3 or 4 hours.

(It’s interesting that he is now talking about carbs and not just calories, a change from what he was saying a few years ago.)

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So today I received an email from Prof Taylor. Well his research team at least. I had completely forgotten that in the middle of this I had cheekily written to him asking whether I could borrow his pancreatic scanner as I was having trouble sourcing one on amazon.

Alas he was unable to give me access to his toy - but the response was personalised to the ton of questions I had written and the advice great. Now I will share bits - but not the whole thing nor will I quote parts of it - that doesn't seem to be in the spirit.

They were adamant.
Lose weight - 15-20%.
It is all about the pancreas.
Viscral fat isn't the key (i.e. don't just use that) - but IS an indicator of progress.
They recommended evening meals post diet to be carb free(ish) no pasta pots or rice. Or a 6/1 5/2.
I found the whole thing - including links to books, research and practical advice really helpful.

Really felt special to have received a reply and one that actually tried to answer my questions. Of course they were really clear that they were not giving any form of medical advice - that should be on a 1-1 basis with my GP.

This thread is great. You'd told me you were trying the diet in another thread, but I hadn't realised you'd dedicated a thread to it! I'll be sticking this in my favourites and reading through it thoroughly later.

Well done on your perseverance and thank you very much for writing your experience up!

Reactions: OrsonKartt

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
Great results, Fleegle :D

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry in advance for the longer update.
BG still good. I am pretty low carb again because that was always my plan though I am not convinced by it longer term.
Weight pretty good - even over Xmas though I was far from reckless over that period. I am not really putting weight back on and I put that down to low carb. However - the lower carb I go the more my morning liver dump peeks and lasts and I am certain now there is a relationship. I have read Dr F's book on fasting which I will come on to later. My liver dumps completely disappeared during ND - low cal no doubt.

BTW - I found a really good FB group. Reversing T2. It is less LC LC LC than this forum (which is in fairness a LC forum) and nowhere near as hard hitting as the rebels FB site. I like it - it covers everything and in a very very friendly way. Much harder to search than here though,

I read a lot on the forum - sometimes there can be a bit of a dismissive nature of anything that is not LC and the ND is often misquoted. People always asking for long term results and tests and I want to tell you what I was amazed by.
I was on a work trip and sat next to someone on the plane whom I knew and knew for over two years! For the purpose of giving some background he is a young mail - 42 I think. Or maybe 42 when he became T2. On the flight he asked me about my weight loss in the last few months and asked, innocently I thought about why had I done so. I don't make a big deal of it but as he asked told him I was T2.
He then said - oh ok - did you do the ND then? And of course I was a bit shocked but not stunned given it had been on the news. But I asked him - what do you know about the ND and he said - oh I did it two years ago! I to am a T2 diagnosed just about 4 years ago. Both his parents are T2 and his Dr at home is a T2 for 30 years.
His story not mine. First two years - progressive more and more medicine - Met, then gliz and the gliz dose going up after every 3month visit. FBG at least 10 - post a lot more! And he is a clever chap - MBA and of course researched the life out of it and did the ND. FBG and no meds really really quickly. FBG down to five in weeks and by the end of the time he was super low - 5ish all of the time and hardly a 2 peek PM. His GP did not want to do the ND because he was skinny - on the wrong side of mid green BMI and I am telling you he is slim. Lets bust the "it only works if you are over weight myth here". He lost a few KG but nothing like the amount I lost of course and he is now below the green BMI. And his BG is excellent. To me he looks like one of those annoying people who are super slim rather than skinny and skin and bones. He looks good slim.

He is not what I would call low carb certainly not KETO and his two year wrap on HBA1C and random morning - pre meal and 2 hour post meal are all excellent. His culture and his way of life means he still eats carbs - rice is a staple as are breads though he admits to never eating white bread or white rice always brown. I mean this chap has 40g of oats for breakfast.

He is very very careful about keeping the weight down (his own threshold) and he says that his BG ticks up at Christmas and when he returns home for festivals and things like that. He says when he returns home lots of entertaining and he does not eat so well.

Of course - being a LC advocate I was advising him to give up carbs a little more (although for what point I don't know) and he rejected that out right. His view was that like any other muscle - use or lose it. His theory on drugs is they stop the body doing its own thing. He believes that whilst like any muscle every day activity (back ground insulin) will tick a long but if you want it to work well you need to exercise and given his four year score (though I am sure people will) who could argue with his experience. Moreover - his family doctor - T2 for 30 years had concerns about the pressure on the kidneys of KETO and to low carb. I don't really get the science of this. He focuses much more on low weight than on low carb alone. He shared his personal blog with me which I found fascinating and inspirational.
Really interesting I thought and a complete eye opener on my flight.
And an example of someone who was in real BG trouble - did the ND, eats the same as he did before the ND (and he drugs were going up) and has good HBA, FBG and post meal results. No OGTT and he had no desire to try that at all as he was very happy with the progress he made, knew he was not cured and didnt need a test to prove that.

As for me - I have just completed a five day fast though I did drink 1 coffee and two teas a day with a tiny amount of milk in each. The longer it went on the easier it got and I would say I felt psychologically hungry - not biologically hungry - i.e. I kept thinking surely I should be hungry - kinda checked myself and thought nope I am not - how weird. This is all part of my year plan to LC, KETO and fast to try and reverse my T2 somewhat and aim to eat just a few more carbs next year.

I will keep you updated HBA1C check in about 6 weeks but a little worried that the liver dumps will ruin the good work. We will see.

In between ND and my fast I have broadly stopped BG tests now as what I eat is pretty predictable and at this stage not even a year in I am not doing anything which would be a smoking gun to BG going up. And I was finding extremely predictable results but I was becoming obsessed particularly with scanning my Libre. I actually think I am much more relaxed now. In no way complacent. I do dipstick urine tests pretty regularly to check everything else is ok and other than KETO being off the scale during my five day fast - all in the green.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Sorry in advance for the longer update.
BG still good. I am pretty low carb again because that was always my plan though I am not convinced by it longer term.
Weight pretty good - even over Xmas though I was far from reckless over that period. I am not really putting weight back on and I put that down to low carb. However - the lower carb I go the more my morning liver dump peeks and lasts and I am certain now there is a relationship. I have read Dr F's book on fasting which I will come on to later. My liver dumps completely disappeared during ND - low cal no doubt.

BTW - I found a really good FB group. Reversing T2. It is less LC LC LC than this forum (which is in fairness a LC forum) and nowhere near as hard hitting as the rebels FB site. I like it - it covers everything and in a very very friendly way. Much harder to search than here though,

I read a lot on the forum - sometimes there can be a bit of a dismissive nature of anything that is not LC and the ND is often misquoted. People always asking for long term results and tests and I want to tell you what I was amazed by.
I was on a work trip and sat next to someone on the plane whom I knew and knew for over two years! For the purpose of giving some background he is a young mail - 42 I think. Or maybe 42 when he became T2. On the flight he asked me about my weight loss in the last few months and asked, innocently I thought about why had I done so. I don't make a big deal of it but as he asked told him I was T2.
He then said - oh ok - did you do the ND then? And of course I was a bit shocked but not stunned given it had been on the news. But I asked him - what do you know about the ND and he said - oh I did it two years ago! I to am a T2 diagnosed just about 4 years ago. Both his parents are T2 and his Dr at home is a T2 for 30 years.
His story not mine. First two years - progressive more and more medicine - Met, then gliz and the gliz dose going up after every 3month visit. FBG at least 10 - post a lot more! And he is a clever chap - MBA and of course researched the life out of it and did the ND. FBG and no meds really really quickly. FBG down to five in weeks and by the end of the time he was super low - 5ish all of the time and hardly a 2 peek PM. His GP did not want to do the ND because he was skinny - on the wrong side of mid green BMI and I am telling you he is slim. Lets bust the "it only works if you are over weight myth here". He lost a few KG but nothing like the amount I lost of course and he is now below the green BMI. And his BG is excellent. To me he looks like one of those annoying people who are super slim rather than skinny and skin and bones. He looks good slim.

He is not what I would call low carb certainly not KETO and his two year wrap on HBA1C and random morning - pre meal and 2 hour post meal are all excellent. His culture and his way of life means he still eats carbs - rice is a staple as are breads though he admits to never eating white bread or white rice always brown. I mean this chap has 40g of oats for breakfast.

He is very very careful about keeping the weight down (his own threshold) and he says that his BG ticks up at Christmas and when he returns home for festivals and things like that. He says when he returns home lots of entertaining and he does not eat so well.

Of course - being a LC advocate I was advising him to give up carbs a little more (although for what point I don't know) and he rejected that out right. His view was that like any other muscle - use or lose it. His theory on drugs is they stop the body doing its own thing. He believes that whilst like any muscle every day activity (back ground insulin) will tick a long but if you want it to work well you need to exercise and given his four year score (though I am sure people will) who could argue with his experience. Moreover - his family doctor - T2 for 30 years had concerns about the pressure on the kidneys of KETO and to low carb. I don't really get the science of this. He focuses much more on low weight than on low carb alone. He shared his personal blog with me which I found fascinating and inspirational.
Really interesting I thought and a complete eye opener on my flight.
And an example of someone who was in real BG trouble - did the ND, eats the same as he did before the ND (and he drugs were going up) and has good HBA, FBG and post meal results. No OGTT and he had no desire to try that at all as he was very happy with the progress he made, knew he was not cured and didnt need a test to prove that.

As for me - I have just completed a five day fast though I did drink 1 coffee and two teas a day with a tiny amount of milk in each. The longer it went on the easier it got and I would say I felt psychologically hungry - not biologically hungry - i.e. I kept thinking surely I should be hungry - kinda checked myself and thought nope I am not - how weird. This is all part of my year plan to LC, KETO and fast to try and reverse my T2 somewhat and aim to eat just a few more carbs next year.

I will keep you updated HBA1C check in about 6 weeks but a little worried that the liver dumps will ruin the good work. We will see.

In between ND and my fast I have broadly stopped BG tests now as what I eat is pretty predictable and at this stage not even a year in I am not doing anything which would be a smoking gun to BG going up. And I was finding extremely predictable results but I was becoming obsessed particularly with scanning my Libre. I actually think I am much more relaxed now. In no way complacent. I do dipstick urine tests pretty regularly to check everything else is ok and other than KETO being off the scale during my five day fast - all in the green.

Hi there. Thanks so much for this update. Any chance of a link to the other f.b.group you mention?

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
Nice update :) Glad it's all going well and you have a good long term plan. I think that's where I feel over after doing the BS diet. Still not very carb heavy but too much protein. I have a dr appointment tomorrow after my yearly diabetic clinic results. Going to be asked to be referred to a sensible dietician but I'm not confident in this

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is hard to believe this was half a year ago.
I thought I would update the thread, as always I am just trying to raise awareness of things not just low carb (which is important) and bust some myths even if it is only a sample of 1. That is important point, I am only reflecting on my own experience from actually trying it rather than opinions of what I have read.

I have read a lot of "don't do the ND - it screws your metabolic rate".
I have to inform everyone that in my case I can prove through fact that isn't my case. I could say I haven't gained very much of the weight lost - but that could be because I might be eating like a pigeon. I am not - by any stretch but I can see how that would be really subjective.

I do a BUPA full health check once a year now. Something I now realise I should of done a long time ago but we have to live in the present not the past. In that, they measure metabolic rate and tell me how many calories I need at rest and with my level of activity.

Even though I am another year older, my base metabolic rate is about the same a day more now than it was a year ago and in that year I have done the 8 week ND, as well as two 5 days full on fasts and a one week 600 calorie a day diet. I have on many occasions eaten less than 2000 calories and sorry to admit on some days many more (that red wine....).

So - the ND diet does not mean in all cases it will slow your metabolic rate down at least not on the evidence I have from my own experiment. I accept that for many other reasons my metabolic rate may have changed, but in any case I think it is true for me to say it hasn't destroyed my metabolic rate.

Good luck to all of those people who give it a go. And all those thinking about it - stop thinking :)

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In that, they measure metabolic rate
I'm really not trying to be ultra picky but how do they measure it? If they do measure it I'd be quite interested in following it up for myself but if they jut put all your figures into a calculator then...

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm really not trying to be ultra picky but how do they measure it? If they do measure it I'd be quite interested in following it up for myself but if they jut put all your figures into a calculator then...
I don't really know....
So they lay you down and put a load of electrodes on you - very much like an ecg and then pass electricity through you. After that she gave me a figure which was what she described as my base metabolic rate. She also measured my vo2max, lung capacity - and a ton of other stuff so I don't know at what point it concludes. I will see if I can ask as a follow up question. Also - I know to maintain my weight I am certainly not eating less than I did this time last year :)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Personally I would not trust how they measure metabolic rate.

Last edited: