Changes To Insurance4insulinpumps?

Ljm84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello everyone,

I usually just lurk around here but I’ve got a dilemma that I’m sure a few of us will share and I’m wondering what you all think.

It’s seems the background company for
insurance4insulinpumps has changed.
I got an email last night saying there had been ‘important changes’ and this link -
https://insurance4insulinpumps.co.uk/pages/news
A few weeks before this Burnett & Associates had sent an email saying the trading name had changed but there’d been no brake in cover and they now had a 24/7 contact centre.

So what are you all doing? Staying with Burnett or cancelling and moving with the brand?
Anyone got any inside knowledge? So far I’ve been lucky enough not to have to call on my insurance and picked the original company based on feedback here and my diabetes nurse.

Thanks guys,
Lisa

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone,

I usually just lurk around here but I’ve got a dilemma that I’m sure a few of us will share and I’m wondering what you all think.

I got an email last night saying there had been ‘important changes’ and this link -
A few weeks before this Burnett & Associates had sent an email saying the trading name had changed but there’d been no brake in cover and they now had a 24/7 contact centre.

So what are you all doing? Staying with Burnett or cancelling and moving with the brand?
Anyone got any inside knowledge? So far I’ve been lucky enough not to have to call on my insurance and picked the original company based on feedback here and my diabetes nurse.

Thanks guys,
Lisa

I'm not a T1, or insulin user so the question in itself isn't material to me, but for others, do you kjnow what the changes are, aside from the name?

Have you checked for changes to underwriters and any changes to their terms and conditions? Those are the likely things that could impact you, now or in the future.

fozzie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got the same emails and had a quick look through the policies offered by Burnett and insurance4insulinpumps. Both are underwritten by different companies, and both have some exclusion clauses but Burnett seems to have one extra, see below. Between that and the slightly cheaper price I plan to move back to insurance4insulinpumps.

ELECTRONIC DATA EXCLUSION CLAUSE
We will not pay for loss or destruction of, or damage to, any property, or any other loss or expense, or any
legal liability of any nature caused by, or contributed to, or arising from:
● Computer viruses, erasure or corruption of electronic data;
● The failure of any equipment to correctly recognise the date or change of date;
For the purpose of this exclusion, “computer virus” means a corruption instruction from an unauthorised
Source that propagates itself via a computer system or network.

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello everyone,

Thanks guys,
Lisa
Hi @Ljm84 I have cancelled my policy with Burnet and reverted back to Insurance for Insulin Pumps.
I think the policy is slightly better, and you save a little money!
I certainly wasn't impressed with how Burnet dealt with my cancellation, I was passed from pillar to post and made 3 calls. Third tine lucky, a great call handler cancelled immediately!
Christine

Reactions: kitedoc and Ljm84

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have you tried adding your pump to your home insurance? That's how mine's insured.

Reactions: ringi

Ljm84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the replies so far. The way things are set up at the moment I don’t have home insurance under my name so can’t do it that way.
I think I’ll go back to insurance4insulinpumps but ask them a fresh about what would happen if my pump was damaged due to epilepsy.
I’m not looking forward to trying to cancel with Burnett, hopefully I’ll get that great call handler Christine!
Lisa

Reactions: kitedoc

fozzie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I cancelled earlier today by email. I actually asked to cancel when the direct debit was going to be taken, on the 3rd, but they cancelled with immediate effect, so it might save you some time on the phone!

Reactions: Ljm84

pdp1000

I am new here. A friend of mine from our local clinic (a fellow pump user) pointed me to this discussion as we were talking about the emails we both got from Burnetts. I want my pump to be insured away from my home contents insurance. Last year I lost my pump while out walking and our home insurance didn't cover it.

I read the insurance check list on the website and spoke to their support team, as I had a lot of questions before taking out the insurance. They were extremely friendly and knowledgeable.

I wish I understood how they took over my policy without notifying me beforehand - but maybe I am too old to understand these things :banghead: but I have decided to cancel my policy and go back to Insurance4insulinpumps.

Reactions: kitedoc and Ljm84

Ljm84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I got a very quick reply from insurance4insulinpumps after emailing them about cover if I had an epileptic fit. They said they still cover for it so I’ve gone back to them. They seem like a good company and I like that it’s so specific to our needs.
Called Burnetts and was amazed how easy it was to cancel. They just asked for my details and policy number and that was it! Maybe they’ve had a lot of us making the same phone call.

Ljm84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am new here. A friend of mine from our local clinic (a fellow pump user) pointed me to this discussion as we were talking about the emails we both got from Burnetts. I want my pump to be insured away from my home contents insurance. Last year I lost my pump while out walking and our home insurance didn't cover it.

I read the insurance check list on the website and spoke to their support team, as I had a lot of questions before taking out the insurance. They were extremely friendly and knowledgeable.

I wish I understood how they took over my policy without notifying me beforehand - but maybe I am too old to understand these things :banghead: but I have decided to cancel my policy and go back to Insurance4insulinpumps.

I have wondered about the home contents insurance and the fact that the pump is going to be out and about. It’s horrible when these things let you down.
The policy handover stuff is weird isn’t it? Plus it’s been communicated as though it’s some kind of secret information, first the Burnett’s email then more explanation from insurance4insulinpumps. Very strange.

Reactions: kitedoc
D

Deleted Account

I have wondered about the home contents insurance and the fact that the pump is going to be out
Many house insurances cover items away from the home. For example, many include bicycle insurance.
But it is worth checking the details of your insurance - or just phoning/emailing them and asking.

Jo123

Most insurances will have the option to include things away from home but you have to actively choose it and pay more.