Type 1'stars R Us

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok thanks, they confuse me so much. 'Your results are too low but you have room for tighter control'.

They also said they will put me on a trial for a libre. Is it worth it or would I just end up becoming consumed by numbers. You know as I'm apparently doing too well at being diabetic lol.

You'll definitely become more obsessed with the numbers,using Libre, particularly at first, but the real time nature of the data gives you a more strategic overview of what your blood sugars are doing, and you can make better informed choices about insulin doses, so eventually you'll get beyond the obsession, with better control.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Ok thanks, they confuse me so much. 'Your results are too low but you have room for tighter control'.

They also said they will put me on a trial for a libre. Is it worth it or would I just end up becoming consumed by numbers. You know as I'm apparently doing too well at being diabetic lol.
I’ve found Libre an absolute game changer, but yes, you can become a little too absorbed in the data. I think that depends on your personality type. I used to be a scientist in a previous life, and I adore data, analysing it and generally playing with it. I also love gadgets and the new wave of tech has been brilliant for my management - apps, widgets, watches and phones really float my boat. When it was fingersticks and pen and paper I mostly ignored it all and hoped it would go away. Now I’m constantly aware of my BG level, and am better able to deal with problems before they get too out of hand. That’s not to say I don’t swear at 3am when my high glucose alarm goes off, of course. I’ve got a MiaoMiao transmitter on my Libre, so it’s turned it into a system with alarms - but the standard setup that you manually scan is a whole level above blood tests. If you get chance to trial it, it’s well worth it - not just for the values it gives but for the trend arrows, being able to see what’s actually happenning is a real eye opener.

It’s important to bear in mind that there’s no such thing as a “good” or a “bad” number - it’s just information that you may or may not need to act upon, not a judgement on you.

paulchew1988

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve found Libre an absolute game changer, but yes, you can become a little too absorbed in the data. I think that depends on your personality type. I used to be a scientist in a previous life, and I adore data, analysing it and generally playing with it. I also love gadgets and the new wave of tech has been brilliant for my management - apps, widgets, watches and phones really float my boat. When it was fingersticks and pen and paper I mostly ignored it all and hoped it would go away. Now I’m constantly aware of my BG level, and am better able to deal with problems before they get too out of hand. That’s not to say I don’t swear at 3am when my high glucose alarm goes off, of course. I’ve got a MiaoMiao transmitter on my Libre, so it’s turned it into a system with alarms - but the standard setup that you manually scan is a whole level above blood tests. If you get chance to trial it, it’s well worth it - not just for the values it gives but for the trend arrows, being able to see what’s actually happenning is a real eye opener.

It’s important to bear in mind that there’s no such thing as a “good” or a “bad” number - it’s just information that you may or may not need to act upon, not a judgement on you.
I'm currently doing a degree in software engineering so I think I'll have fun with the data =)

Thanks.

paulchew1988

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Excellent! Know any C? I want to edit a Pebble watch face...
Mainly been doing java php and a bit of c++ alot of what I've done so far Is the design process behind it all and alot of database . Next year will be doing better things like advanced databases and advanced java lmao.

Reactions: kev-w

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Don’t complain about been put on a trial for Libre there are people that would bite your arm off for that opportunity. Grasp it!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Just had an appointment at the diabetes clinic. Hba1c is down to 46 from 131. I was diagnosed 4 months ago.

I left feeling confused as she said it was too low. I thought the goal was to get it as close to non diabetic range as possible? Anyone else had this?

Congratulations! 46 is good!
Hypos are dangerous - ask @Robinredbreast! I think that DSN training’s geared to preventing hypos and hypers and the ‘safest’ levels are promoted. However, a libre, and/or a basal that doesn’t dump you in the lows during the night, means, IMO, we don’t necessarily have to avoid an HbA1c of 46.

Reactions: Knikki
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I had my commitment meeting today @3.20pm and I have never felt so awful in my life. When I left with my friends I was in tears and actually crying with disbelief when I left, at what I had to go through. I felt violated, not illl at all, the system is degrading and disgusting to genuine claimants, I can't believe it.
This is my 'commitment which I must agree to online.

This is to check you're doing everything you can to find a job, or earn more.

We'll call you on
Tuesday 14 August 2018 at 10:40am

Your interview is with: Ray

It may affect your Universal Credit if you don't complete this phone appointment.

My commitments
I'll do everything that I can to find work or earn more.

Work I can do
I'll look for and take any work that I'm able to do, including:

• Admin
    • Food sampling
    • Carer, but not personal care
I'll also apply for any jobs recommended by my work coach.

I'll look for work of 0 hours a week for the minimum wage or more.

My availability
I'm available for job interviews immediately and will participate fully. I'm available to start work immediately.

Travel to work
I can travel up to 30 minutes to work.

What I'll do
I'll normally spend 0 hours a week looking and preparing for work.

I've agreed with my work coach that I'll:

• I will use the internet daily for job searches.
    • I will look at the Festival Place web site daily for suitable jobs.
Extra activities
I haven't discussed any extra activities.

Meetings with my work coach
I'll attend and take part fully in all meetings with my work coach. I'll tell my work coach immediately if I can't do this.

Using my online account
I'll sign in to my online account often to:

• complete all activities in my to-do list
    • report changes to my circumstances promptly, including changes to work
If I can't get online, I'll report any changes by calling 0800 328 5644 (Textphone: 0800 328 1344).

After accepting my commitments, I'll read about reduced payments (sanctions) in my to-do list.

Back

I have just 2 weeks as a person who can't work. Then someone has to collect a fit/sick note from my surgery for me, I then have to write it out online, word for word as it is worded by my GP and then someone will have to take it to the Job Centre, so they can verify that it is exactly the same as I have written online.

I said to my friend, being in ICU with Pneumonia and Sepsis, means absolutely nothing, it is so degrading. I know it's not the individual assessor and they follow rules and protocol, but I feel like I'm a liar and I am in shock by it all :(
I wish this was a more upbeat post.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I had my commitment meeting today @3.20pm and I have never felt so awful in my life. When I left with my friends I was in tears and actually crying with disbelief when I left, at what I had to go through. I felt violated, not illl at all, the system is degrading and disgusting to genuine claimants, I can't believe it.

We'll call you on

It may affect your Universal Credit if you don't complete this phone appointment.

My commitments

Work I can do

• Admin
    • Food sampling

My availability
I'm available for job interviews immediately and will participate fully. I'm available to start work immediately.

Travel to work

What I'll do

Extra activities

I'll attend and take part fully in all meetings with my work coach. I'll tell my work coach immediately if I can't do this.

Using my online account

If I can't get online, I'll report any changes by calling 0800 328 5644 (Textphone: 0800 328 1344).

After accepting my commitments, I'll read about reduced payments (sanctions) in my to-do list.

Back

I have just 2 weeks as a person who can't work. Then someone has to collect a fit/sick note from my surgery for me, I then have to write it out online, word for word as it is worded by my GP and then someone will have to take it to the Job Centre, so they can verify that it is exactly the same as I have written online.

I said to my friend, being in ICU with Pneumonia and Sepsis, means absolutely nothing, it is so degrading. I know it's not the individual assessor and they follow rules and protocol, but I feel like I'm a liar and I am in shock by it all :(
It’s dehumanising, degrading and an absolute disgrace the way they treat people. My meagre tax credit will shortly be transferred to UC and I’m dreading it. I did a training course with CAB a couple of weeks ago on ESA and UC, as our Plaid Cymru branch (of which I’m a member) are going to be holding surgeries to help people with their applications and inevitable appeals. If I can help at all, please PM me and I’ll share the info I have. I’ve posted about it here rather than message you direct in case anyone else stumbles across this thread and needs help.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.

We'll call you on

My commitments

Work I can do

• Admin
    • Food sampling

My availability

Travel to work

What I'll do

Extra activities

Using my online account

Back

This is absolutely hateful, @Robinrdbreast! It makes me wonder if the government have become the very worst kind of followers of Darwin, the kind that don’t understand his findings, or Hobbes, the great pessimist. How dare they treat people who’ve contributed to the national coffers, OUR coffers, with such cruel disdain.
There have been many many reactions to the way that people who are incapacitated have been treated but they seem to have fallen on cabbage ears. How dare they put you through this when you’ve not yet recovered from a near-death event!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Robinredbreast
They are clearly idiots as well as insulting. You have an agreement saying you will look for jobs in 0 hours of time for 0 hours of employment. Pretty easy to keep to that. Won't earn you anything though.

Hoping you get over the horror soon.

K

Knikki

@Robinredbreast yeah it is not good, I remember a few years ago having to claim unemployment because I was made redundant, after the first interview was not happy 2nd interview I turned up with a t-shirt on saying 'Dole Scum', didn't go down well :hilarious: and after they telling me what I would get and what was expected I asked if I could change my status, not repeating it here as it was not politically correct at all, that also did not go down well. :hilarious:

But yes a frustrating process when you have worked and contributed and want something in return your not treated at all well.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
dilemma now is exercise as I'd promised myself a swim before the gym, and now I'm thinking gym and then see, which may end with up swimming sacked off and me sulking,

Aye, about that :) I sacked the swimming but the gym was rewarding so I'm not sulking. after tea glucose is 8.8 flat line but rising and its got till 21,00 to start dropping before I take a .5u correction, it was nice pasta tho and I rolled it in parmesan :)

Not looking forward to tomorrow afternoon as we're scattering mums ashes at the crem, not looking forward that but will be glad when it's done, eldest child expects me dressed up so won't be impressed with my shorts and t-shirt....

K

Knikki

I was just looking back at the conversation between @paulchew1988 and @Mel dCP and how you were told off for HbA1C being 43.

When I got mine done in March it was 43 which is the highest it has been since 2015 which is as far back as the records show.

My DSN asked if I was OK because "thats unusually high for you"

Funny how different places have different response to a similar figure :oops::meh:

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Knikki

Aye, about that :) I sacked the swimming but the gym was rewarding so I'm not sulking. after tea glucose is 8.8 flat line but rising and its got till 21,00 to start dropping before I take a .5u correction, it was nice pasta tho and I rolled it in parmesan :)

Not looking forward to tomorrow afternoon as we're scattering mums ashes at the crem, not looking forward that but will be glad when it's done, eldest child expects me dressed up so won't be impressed with my shorts and t-shirt....

Never and easy one that scatter ashes, hope all goes well (I know stupid thing to say but it is all I can think of)

Reactions: kev-w

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

Hope it goes well, @kev-w - just make sure you stand upwind of any scattering. When they scattered my late brother in law Dan’s ashes, a sudden gust of wind blew them all over the assembled family... my husband just said “oh look. Dan-druff!” Will be thinking of you x

I’m happily running mid fours this evening, took until mid afternoon to get rid of the overnight high and dawn shenanigans :banghead: