Telling People You're Diabetic

Jester555

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Most things
Well, 'disclosure' may not be such a big deal for a type 2 diabetic as it is for people with some other illnesses, but the question still arises: who do you tell? Who do you not tell? How do you tell people?

I've told my wife, of course, but not my mum or my siblings. I've told a couple of trusted colleagues who wanted to know the secret of my weight loss. I suspect some others may guess or suspect based on my new eating habits, especially if they are diabetic themselves (''if you've got it, you spot it"). But I can hardly think of a case where anybody I know socially or at work has told me that they are Type 2. I hesitate to tell my mother or certain siblings because they are rather puritanical about eating and drinking, and probably regard type 2 diabetes as a well-deserved punishment for being overweight. I eat keto, so I think they think I've gone on a fad diet for weight loss. I may tell them when I've lost another stone or so and have non-diabetic bloods.

I wondered what experiences others have had?
Tell everyone. Be supper proud, there is to much stigma that if you have type 2 you must be obese and lazy. Diabetes runs in my family, my bro is type 1, I got type 2. Say it loud and say it proud. If people can't accept or understand, that is not your fault.

ccwii

Type of diabetes
LADA
Would that be sexually transmitted diabetes :)
I'd have a much more interesting story to tell if that's how I ended up with mine! :D

I'm T1D and I either let everyone know pretty early on, or they figure it out when they see my medical ID bracelet or my insulin pump. It's important for people to know for safety's sake.

Reactions: Cumberland

mikegreen40

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, 'disclosure' may not be such a big deal for a type 2 diabetic as it is for people with some other illnesses, but the question still arises: who do you tell? Who do you not tell? How do you tell people?

I have told family and a few close friends. But, I have found that there is a bit of discrimination out there about people who have diabetes. This is important when I go on a job interview. I take my Medic Alert bracelet off and make sure that my ID tags, around my neck, are not shown. While they cannot discriminate, I don't want to give them the question of whether this person will be an added cost to the company. This is the mindset of many in the US. I am lucky in that I teach at a college and do let certain people know. But, I am very careful to not disclose any information at all. Even when they ask on the "disability" form when job applications are filled out, I always give "I do not wish to answer." I cannot say "no" And If I say "yes" are they going to take that into consideration?

Gary_Gower

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well firstly an apology. I am going to sound bitter and twisted and I probably am. I regret telling anyone - because you can never 'untell' someone. I bitterly regret telling anyone.

Initially I told my wife and swore her to secrecy. I never told my mother and am grateful she went to the grave without that worry on her. I never told another sole. Then four years ago I had a blow up and ended up in hospital with sepsis. I then told a few people. Close friends, my children, but still not my brothers. One or two work colleagues too, esp as I was taking insulin.

I was amused by the puritanical comment. My wife thinks I should be ashamed to tell anyone and believes it's all my own fault. It may well be my fault but would you say that to a smoker with lung cancer ? As for the rest, all I experience is ignorance. "Are you allowed to eat that?" "Was it because you ate too much sugar?" "Do you have to have special shoes ?" "Are you allowed to drive?" The list goes on....such pitiful ignorance that I regret telling them.

I never told anyone about my ingrown toenail, the cyst on my back, tennis elbow, or any other illness, ailment or condition. Wish I'd related diabetes the same way.

Reactions: Flora123

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Well, most people have figured out that I am type 2 any ways. Simply observing what foods I eat and bring flavored bottle water to work. If they asked me if I am Diabetic I just say yes and let it go. Just do not broadcast it to the world.

In terms of comments, I just ignore them. Their time will come.

I control my type 2 and do not let it control me.

Renley

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I've told my wife, of course, but not my mum or my siblings. I've told a couple of trusted colleagues who wanted to know the secret of my weight loss. I suspect some others may guess or suspect based on my new eating habits, especially if they are diabetic themselves (''if you've got it, you spot it"). But I can hardly think of a case where anybody I know socially or at work has told me that they are Type 2. I hesitate to tell my mother or certain siblings because they are rather puritanical about eating and drinking, and probably regard type 2 diabetes as a well-deserved punishment for being overweight. I eat keto, so I think they think I've gone on a fad diet for weight loss. I may tell them when I've lost another stone or so and have non-diabetic bloods.

Hi,
Why keep it a secret? I am type 2 insulin dependant of 15 year's standing. Admittedly, I was not overweight or sedentary when diagnosed and have always had a healthy diet from childhood. No family history that I am aware of. It just happened. People around me need to know that I am diabetic. I need regular meal breaks and do have hypos which, so far, I can handle but which often make me feel unwell for a bit. I occasionally need time off work to attend appointments. The DVLA need to know ( I hope you've let them know if you are a driver.) There is nothing to be ashamed about. You are taking steps to improve your health and deserve the support of those around you. It is a great opportunity to educate others as well. There is a great deal of misunderstanding about the condition, not always helped by the media. Like mental health issues, let those of us who really know about living with diabetes inform those who don't. Good luck with your admirable efforts, sadly, I can't reverse mine but there are much worse things to have!

Reactions: Speedbird

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well firstly an apology. I am going to sound bitter and twisted and I probably am. I regret telling anyone - because you can never 'untell' someone. I bitterly regret telling anyone.

Initially I told my wife and swore her to secrecy. I never told my mother and am grateful she went to the grave without that worry on her. I never told another sole. Then four years ago I had a blow up and ended up in hospital with sepsis. I then told a few people. Close friends, my children, but still not my brothers. One or two work colleagues too, esp as I was taking insulin.

I was amused by the puritanical comment. My wife thinks I should be ashamed to tell anyone and believes it's all my own fault. It may well be my fault but would you say that to a smoker with lung cancer ? As for the rest, all I experience is ignorance. "Are you allowed to eat that?" "Was it because you ate too much sugar?" "Do you have to have special shoes ?" "Are you allowed to drive?" The list goes on....such pitiful ignorance that I regret telling them.

I never told anyone about my ingrown toenail, the cyst on my back, tennis elbow, or any other illness, ailment or condition. Wish I'd related diabetes the same way.

That is my fear. I hated it when people would say “can you eat/drink that” when I was pregnant. None if their business!! (I was so careful what I consumed but they still thought they had to question me). Couldn’t bear to go through that again.

susyross

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who don't make the effort to be healthy

I was diagnosed with Type 1 back in the late 70"s Everyone I knew was informed mostly because of the 5 shots a day, then later because of my uncontrollable hypos. I believe it is important that the people you know, family, friends, co-workers know about your condition... one day they may need to help you and they could save your life. it is nothing to be ashamed of, it is just part of who we are and what we have to deal with.

Last edited by a moderator:

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I hesitate to tell my mother or certain siblings because they are rather puritanical about eating and drinking, and probably regard type 2 diabetes as a well-deserved punishment for being overweight. I eat keto, so I think they think I've gone on a fad diet for weight loss. I may tell them when I've lost another stone or so and have non-diabetic bloods.

I was concerned about the backlash from people who would judge me because of my weight, but I've been lucky as I have a few friends with diabetes on Facebook (both types). I told my son, then Facebook friends and got several supportive messages immediately. If anyone had other reactions, that would have stopped them from voicing anything negative. And these friends have offered practical tips and support since.
I was much more worried about the medical side, expecting GPs and nurses to be less sympathetic, but they've been OK. Although the only person to criticise my new eating plan was the diabetic dietitian - not up-to-date with low carb eating for diabetes!

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I'm a Diabetic! What's your super power?

"But you don't look Diabetic!" Hmm .. what does it look like?

Spreading awareness of the growing population of Diabetics and hoping that more will have themselves checked for pre-Diabetes or possibly Type 2. Many do not know that they are pre-Diabetic and would be nice to know if you could help them take control now and keep Type 2 at bay.

susyross

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who don't make the effort to be healthy
I'm a Diabetic! What's your super power?

"But you don't look Diabetic!" Hmm .. what does it look like?

Spreading awareness of the growing population of Diabetics and hoping that more will have themselves checked for pre-Diabetes or possibly Type 2. Many do not know that they are pre-Diabetic and would be nice to know if you could help them take control now and keep Type 2 at bay.
I have been told I don't look diabetic because I am not fat... geeze people stop stereotyping, for one not all diabetics are overweight and we don't have to look unhealthy. a lot depends on attitude, not looks... I agree on spreading awareness!

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I told my sister but told her not to tell our mother. She said she wouldn't but she did and I regret I told my sister. i told friends and a few people at work I'm close to. Haven't told bosses at work as I don't think I need any special treatment. I'm fairly confident I don't have any serious hypos at work. I hope it will stay that way.

Reactions: Guzzler

QPR4Me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Exercise machines and Gyms. Avoid like the plague.
When I was diagnosed as a T2, despite never having been overweight, it took me an age to find out that T1 and T2 was rampant throughout my family history.
My family are Irish, as am I. The older ones from the countryside areas, where parish priests controlled every part of daily life, seemed to regard Diabetes as a curse for sins that was visited upon families. Such backward thinking drove me to despair. I made it clear to those that knew me, that I was Diabetic, that it was inherited and that there was nothing that I could do to prevent it. It, for me, was important to do so. They, and all my friends etc, needed to know in case I suffered a hypo.
These days, I volunteer for drugs trials etc, so that there can be a hope that the genetic links that are scattered throughout my family can be identified and dealt with before this condition could affect my daughters or, at the very least, make their lives better should they be affected by either T1 or T2 Diabetes.
QPR4Me

spanglepig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed T1 on 1st December 2015, just before my 58th birthday. As I had been quite poorly for several weeks before diagnosis and had lost two and a half stone in weight, I told everyone. In the main and since then, as everyone who needs to know already does, it rarely gets discussed. If there are any new employees at work, they are told and advised that my insulin pens are not the same as epipens - if I have a problem, it will be because I need sugar, not insulin. The really amazing thing is how many people can't get their heads around it. Fortunately, I managed to get my blood sugar under control very quickly - my HbA1c was down to the target of 7 within six months and at the last test in April was 6.5. I don't see any problem with explaining to anyone that I have diabetes - get it out there, educate a few more people about the condition because, let's face it, people are woefully uneducated abot things like this.

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!

I tell people but they seem to forget. Probably mention it more now since I've retired........

Reactions: porl69
M

Moggely

@Gary_Gower I think the same as you. I wish I had of said nothing for in my case they couldn't have cared less. lol.:happy:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only tell people about health issues if it is relevant to the situation. Back pain that means I can't stand for long, or gut problems that mean I may need the loo more frequently, or whatever. The same applies to my blood glucose. It is need to know.

Of course I witter about it endlessly on this forum (captive audience who can skip my posts if they are too boring), and it is a major part of my life since it dictates every mouthful I eat and drink. But I never bother telling a waiter or aquaintance. In fact I am MUCH more vocal about the gluten free thing, since that is harder to monitor and if I get it wrong I have 2 weeks of 'consequences'.

One pet hate I have is when people around me are unable to shut up about their own health. The food allergies. The symptoms of their menopause, headache, itchy mozzie bites, blood pressure, the hangnail, and yes, their chronic health conditions too... I'm not interested in their self obsessions. I have enough of my own. And I am not going to tell them about mine because the day is too short and I actually fancy a non-self-obsessed bit of communication please. ;)

My family is small, and they all know - but it took 4 years for me to tell all 3 of them. In fact I think I only told them when my father got his T2 membership.
None of my 11 in laws know. Can't be bothered to explain. They read the Daily Mail, so no point.
My boss knows I am T2 and do 'a wacky food allergy/low carb thing'. She is T2 and eats Weight Watchers Ready Meals, so we don't have much in common.
My husband is a star, a hero and utterly supportive. I don't deserve him, and he knows everything.

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An interesting thread and shows how we all differ! I make no secret of my T2, but most people are not interested. I deliberately told some people because I wanted to explain some of my behaviour before diagnosis. I was getting extremely tired and stroppy at times. Being more sensitive to the signs now I have discovered others who have diabetes, and indeed some have told me despite my not being aware of their condition in years I have known them, which might suggest they have had negative reactions in the past to the revelation. One friend who I knew was type 1 has talked to me a lot more, interested about how I am getting on, and telling me of his experiences, which he never did before. It would be easy to get upset by people close to me either ignoring it or being negative, but I consider that before I was diagnosed, it was not something I understood so would I have reacted differently? I don't feel the need to announce my condition to all and sundry, but I will if it is relevant or will explain why I am refusing the offer of a particular food, for example. I do find some of the reactions interesting. It helps that I have reached the age where I really don't care what others think of me.

Reactions: Speedbird
M

Moggely

I only tell people about health issues if it is relevant to the situation. Back pain that means I can't stand for long, or gut problems that mean I may need the loo more frequently, or whatever. The same applies to my blood glucose. It is need to know.

Of course I witter about it endlessly on this forum (captive audience who can skip my posts if they are too boring), and it is a major part of my life since it dictates every mouthful I eat and drink. But I never bother telling a waiter or aquaintance. In fact I am MUCH more vocal about the gluten free thing, since that is harder to monitor and if I get it wrong I have 2 weeks of 'consequences'.

One pet hate I have is when people around me are unable to shut up about their own health. The food allergies. The symptoms of their menopause, headache, itchy mozzie bites, blood pressure, the hangnail, and yes, their chronic health conditions too... I'm not interested in their self obsessions. I have enough of my own. And I am not going to tell them about mine because the day is too short and I actually fancy a non-self-obsessed bit of communication please. ;)

My family is small, and they all know - but it took 4 years for me to tell all 3 of them. In fact I think I only told them when my father got his T2 membership.
None of my 11 in laws know. Can't be bothered to explain. They read the Daily Mail, so no point.
My boss knows I am T2 and do 'a wacky food allergy/low carb thing'. She is T2 and eats Weight Watchers Ready Meals, so we don't have much in common.
My husband is a star, a hero and utterly supportive. I don't deserve him, and he knows everything.
@Brunneria My husband is the same but he really is the only one and like you I can't be bothered listening to others complaints but I do simply because that what I do.

Reactions: Jollymon

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I told my sister but told her not to tell our mother. She said she wouldn't but she did and I regret I told my sister. i told friends and a few people at work I'm close to. Haven't told bosses at work as I don't think I need any special treatment. I'm fairly confident I don't have any serious hypos at work. I hope it will stay that way.

So what happens when you do have a bad hypo in work? Surely it would be in your interest to let people know and also to tell them how they can help you??