Yippee!!!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya guys!

Just thought I'd share my two bits of good news. First, I had my HbA1c on Friday and it's down from 6.8 to to 5.6! So pleased with that as I thought it might have gone up as I've been on and off different types of insulin for the last couple of months and experimenting with different levels of carb. It's been a very difficult few months, but now it feels it's been worth it :D

Second,at my consultant appointment on Friday, I was told I had to see his registrar instead, and I was a bit fed-up with that at first, but he was brilliant. Listened to everything I had to say about how difficult it is not knowing what type of diabetes I have. He then went to speak to the consultant and got him to agree to anti-body tests to see if it's LADA. Took the blood there and then, so I'm waiting for the results now. If it comes back positive, I have my diagnosis, if it's negative, there's a chance they'll do MODY tests next. I am so happy I might finally find out what's wrong with me!

Thanks for listening!

Smidge

Squadron Leader

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Religion
Donald Trump
Yay!! Great to hear you might (finally) have an answer soon.

And congrats on your HbA1c result too - I'm jealous!

Regards,
Klair

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Gosh, how do you have an A1C that low without losing hypo warnings? As soon as mine dips below 7.2 ish I lose all warnings.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lucie!

Lucie75 said:
Gosh, how do you have an A1C that low without losing hypo warnings? As soon as mine dips below 7.2 ish I lose all warnings.

That must be tough for you! I guess I'm lucky as I'm not Type1 (yet) I still produce basal insulin and my body still produces glucagen (?) so corrects me pretty well if I'm going a bit low, so I probably don't suffer hypos as much as some of you - in fact, in the 6 months I've been on insulin I've only had two (one very mild 3.8 shortly after starting basal, and one more severe 2.7 shortly after starting rapid-acting). Both times, I was pretty shaky, headachey and not feeling right, so it was pretty obvious to me I needed to test. The second one did catch me out a bit as I was having a glass of wine after my food and I was thinking 'one glass of wine doesn't usually go to my head like this' - and then I realised! :oops: I guess you've been on insulin a long time and don't produce any insulin of your own? I think I've probably got that to look forward to if I turn out to be LADA :( , but while I''m still producing basal insulin, it's easier to control the BG with rapid-acting at meal times and get good HbA1c wihtout going hypo.

Smidge