Do You Weigh Yourself Everyday Or Weekly?

TwoRivers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Obesity.
Surely a daily weigh is pointless.......
Only if you are the right weight and that weight is stable. If you want it to remain under control and not go up, or if you need to lose a substantial amount of weight, then you need to watch closely what is happening. Believe me the 'weigh yourself just once in a while and you will find your weight has gone quietly down' approach just doesn't work for some of us. I'm definitely one of those.
But yes, you shouldn't allow the sometimes depressing daily news from the scales to cause you to give up.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I weigh daily but record weekly on a Wednesday. I find it useful to look at both the weekly and daily numbers against bg levels and food intake/exercise levels. It seems to help me understand how they all work together but your mileage may vary and chacun son gout etc

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I weigh daily as I have a lot of weight to lose. I find this helpful as I have a spreadsheet and track weight online too, as it shows progress over time is not a straight line, and there are big fluctuations daily - I am around 250 pounds so up and down six pounds in a week is not unusual. If I was weighing less frequently I would find myself easily derailed by a big jump up, and it also helps to see patterns and link weight gain or loss to behaviour and food so I can see where I going wrong (or right). I have done this for several years and it is clear from the pattens that close attention needs to be paid when difficult life events are happening as this is when gains tend to happen gradually over several months - later on it is often possible to pinpoint the day it went pear-shaped. In particular there can be weight gain when increasing exercise due to temporary water retention. I find weighing daily takes all the emotion and pressure off losing weight as it is just another piece of data, but lets me see if there is an upward trend sooner rather than later.

I would say information helps me make informed choices.

Last edited:
Reactions: Serena51

TwoRivers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Obesity.
Why are you weighing yourself at all?
I do not own any scales and only get weighed at my annual diabetes review.
However, my weight is not a concern - I think the weighing at the review is a tick-box exercise.

If you are trying to lose (or gain weight), I can understand why you would want to keep an eye on it but agree with the other respondents to track trends rather than being concerned that you weigh 2kg more today than you did yesterday but 4kg less than a week ago.
Those examples are misleading. Weight increases in my experience are not of the order you suggest but then as you say for you weight is not a concern. It is for me. A few incremental increases of a few hundred grammes for a week can be very hard to shake off, believe me. The best way to keep control is never to take your eye off the ball.

Reactions: Prem51

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Only if you are the right weight and that weight is stable. If you want it to remain under control and not go up, or if you need to lose a substantial amount of weight, then you need to watch closely what is happening. Believe me the 'weigh yourself just once in a while and you will find your weight has gone quietly down' approach just doesn't work for some of us. I'm definitely one of those.
But yes, you shouldn't allow the sometimes depressing daily news from the scales to cause you to give up.

When I have weighed in on a daily basis it goes up and down.....so its not telling me what is actually happening.......that was the logic behind my comment......but that doesn't mean you shouldn't weigh daily if that's what you want to do.....

TwoRivers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Obesity.
When I have weighed in on a daily basis it goes up and down.....so its not telling me what is actually happening.......that was the logic behind my comment......but that doesn't mean you shouldn't weigh daily if that's what you want to do.....
Agreed! But "what is actually happening" is (in my experience) always a mystery. The science isn't there -- so far as I have been able to discover. If you wanted a reliable figure, an average weight over (say) a week or even a month might be the best guide. But I look for encouragement and warning signals, so the daily fluctuation matters for me. A month would be too long for a dieter since you would hope your 'real' body weight would reduce during a period like that.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
same day every week was what I done, as soon as I get up, and after the toilet.....;)

edan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I weigh daily, I lose weight when weighing daily and gain it when I stop weighing. I track my daily weight in happy scale which plots a smoothed graph showing the trends over time.

To those saying weighing daily doesn’t show you what’s going on, I find it actually does do that so much more than weighing weekly. Weighing weekly you might see oh I gained 2lb this week I must have eaten too much. Weighing daily you see the fluctuations, that your weight does change daily, and you do see that you are losing weight as you’ll notice oh I’m seeing more 4s and 5s vs usual 6s and 7s, or you’ll see a new low number on the scale that you’ve not seen before. Looking at the trend over time then shows you how much you’ve lost etc.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all I'm :wacky: I don't have scales at home I couldn't see the numbers for my belly so I just get weighed every month at the Dr's:clown::)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all I'm :wacky: I don't have scales at home I couldn't see the numbers for my belly so I just get weighed every month at the Dr's:clown::)

My scales have a sort of handset you can hold as you weigh, or pick up to read forr a short while afterwards (until it switches off automatically). I didn't buy them for quite the reason you did, but t can be handy nonetheless.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I weigh myself every week & record it as I have quite a bit to lose. Sometimes I weigh myself more often (to keep an eye on the trend. I'm post menopausal so I don't get the big fluctuations I did when I was younger due to hormones.)

I set "mini goals" for myseld (to lose 10 lbs at a time, get my BMI below a certain number, total loss a certain % of original weight). I find these mini goals very motivating rather than focusing on the very large amount remaining weight. As well, I decided to reward myself for every 25 lbs lost, my first reward will be some new exercise DVDs.

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I weigh myself every morning. I find it helps keep me on track. I once went without scales for about 8 months and had gained a couple of stones, had no idea I had put on that amount of weight!
I do find that weight can fluctuate over 2 days, especially when I have had a bowel movement. I personally find daily weighing definitely works for me.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I weigh myself every day, same routine.
Bullet resistant coffee, a bit later go to the toilet, then weigh myself and write it down. Weight in pounds and tenths of a pound.
I find that surprisingly often my weight is the same over several days to the tenth of a pound, but then moves up or down for no apparent reason. It does keep me focused, though.

However if I am away (caravan or visiting friends and family) I can go weeks without weighing myself.
Often I indulge myself a little from time to time when I am with people who love carbohydrates (especially potatoes roasted in goose fat) but surprisingly I am usually close to the weight I was before I went away.
No logic in this when weight can go up when I weigh every day.

My weight is fairly close to my target range but I have to be constantly vigilant. I'm down to just below 12 stone 2 lbs after creeping up over 12 stone 5 lbs due to the munchies.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I weigh myself and record results every morning before breakfast ,along with FBG, BP and ankle oedema.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
interesting. Do you measure the edema also at night before retiring?

Well last night I did and got a very unpleasant surprise, it was not all all good, worse than the "first thing in the morning " test. Do you test in the evening, how do you interpret the differences between morning and evening ?

By the way , I do my weigh ins , in my birthday suit .

Last edited:

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I weigh every day at the moment. In the past I've stopped weighing when I was on a gain trend and then weighed obsessively when trying to lose. Unfortunately I've been around the block a few times in my life, so with bingeing, starving and yo-yo-ing I know the number on the scales only matters as a way of keeping an eye on my general trend. I have put starving behind me, but still struggle with bingeing.

I find that the number on the scale varies by as much as 2kg, sometimes even more, when I am maintaining over a month or more. I don't subscribe to the "it will put you off if you see the scale go up" and "no wonder you can't successfully lose weight, you're weighing yourself too often" way of thinking. By the same reasoning, I don't get over-excited if I see the scale go down, but use the long-term trends on my fitbit. I find it helps to ground me. Each to their own.