Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Do you still use it?

No fortunately I only needed to use it for a couple of weeks, however I know exactly how you feel as it was very uncomfortable - hope things have improved ?

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
I am sorry not to give any feedback, my beloved dad died Friday and I am heart broken. He will be buried in holland tomorrow and I suppose to fly from Dublin tonight but we are hit by the worst storm in 50 years. All transport in Dublin has ceased and many flight cancelled so I keep praying my flight will still go

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry to read this. You have my condolences, and you have much more important priorities at the moment.

I hope you get to Holland.

Have a hug.

john23568

Hello everyone,

Since going on low carb (not going over 50 grams a day) I have solved my insulin issue and now well controlled again but it meant going low carb also coming off the pump and returning back to injections. But since going low carb i am plagued by constipation (sorry folks). I eat full fat things like bacon, full fat greek yoghurt and drink enough, use flax seed but no luck so far. I don't want to use laxatives as this will make the whole thing worse over time. Any natural remedies available? Does anyone recognize this?

Love to hear from you;)
Hi,I have had constipation for the last 10 years of being a type 2 diabetic.For the last 8 months I have been on a low carb diet less poo but still constipated,I am now being treated by radiotherapy for prostate diet and they give you a special diet which seems to be mostly carbs so I have a very reduced diet,.the hospital give you milk of magnesia.using this I ended up being impacted .not fun for 10 years I have used Laxido.It has been great and has solved all my problems wit a minimal dose.Good luck

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I am on strong opiates that obviously lead to constipation but .... not in my case.
Not once in three years of taking them.I'm low carb but don't count or measure anything.
I start each day off with a heaped teaspoon full of coconut oil.
I have mine in porridge but not all diabetics can handle porridge.
It's both together that prevent the constipation.
I'm sure you could try just the oil on its own see how you get on.

TIANDB

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I am sorry not to give any feedback, my beloved dad died Friday and I am heart broken. He will be buried in holland tomorrow and I suppose to fly from Dublin tonight but we are hit by the worst storm in 50 years. All transport in Dublin has ceased and many flight cancelled so I keep praying my flight will still go
Sorry for your sad loss Maria. All the best and take care..

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Thank you and the worst nightmare has come true, the hurricane Ophelia hit us hard and my flight to holland was cancelled and I cannot attend the funeral of my own dad

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you and the worst nightmare has come true, the hurricane Ophelia hit us hard and my flight to holland was cancelled and I cannot attend the funeral of my own dad

Sorry to read your sad news Maria. Little I can say but to wish you peace and memories.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Uh oh, I found when I shifted to metformin slow release I had terrible issues... things have settled after some emergency dulcolax while I was in the US, but I think fybogel (sp.?)is what was recommended to me...and as I now want to start introducing low carb into my life I ought to have something on stand by.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I', m so sorry to hear that - it must be very distressing for you.

Robbity

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sorry to hear of your loss and unable to fly as well...

Refchronic constipation..

It does not necessarily mean you need more fibre. There are some of us that actually need low fibre...

Personally, I would try both for a fortnight each.

I would also speak to your doctor. I too had chronic constipation and paid to see a private gastroenterologist 5 years ago who put me on nhs for investigations. Slow colonic transit was my cause to the constipation, although I have other probs too.

This needs opposite to high fibre- for me its no bread, no pasta, no rice. Only mushy food. No peas, or any beans at all.no to atos or onions either.

I would certainly talk to GP and just ask if they could look in to and mention slow colonic transit and a shapes test.

There is a difference between laxitives. I can only take dulcolax sugar free liquid. I was also given lubiprostone for a year. (Only meant to be given it for 2 weeks and needs to be prescibed by a consultant in England). Other than that only pucolax is effective by horrible or horrible large phosphate enemas.

If you take any painkillers these could also slow processing down.

I personally wpuld say that drinking more doesnt necessarily help-it depends whats happening in your colon. Its your colon speed that determines a lot. Food can make a big difference.
There is one specific probiotic my Prof Oncologist recommended apart from Keffir. He said dont waste your money on any others..

Naturally wise there is senna leaves, and not eating foods with skin on or leafy foods like lettuce or cabbage.. these too can slow down.

I think you need to find out if your colon does better with low fibre or high fibre but also speak to GP.

Shirley N.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to walk in the Dales any more. Not being able to eat some of my favourite foods any more.
Any occasional dose of Epsom salts (food grade) as a laxative has always worked a treat for me. Quick, painless and cheap. Has anybody else used it?

Suffolk gal

I suffer more since diagnosis and change of diet. Nuts definitely bind me up badly, even just a few! I agree re drink lots of water. I drink hot water.