Which Is The Cheapest Lancets And Strips?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I don't need to test as type 2 sufferers never, ever have a hypo, that I need to start testing again

Three things in one sentence!

I'm sure you know this but of course it's better to test for exactly the reasons you mention. Perhaps your DN has some special way any type II can at least have an inkling as to what their HbA1c will be like, without monitoring.

I have a dear friend, non diabetic, hypos regularly if he doesn't eat adequate amounts of carbs.

You're obviously doing the right thing by testing again.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Don’t blame pain on the lancet being blunt. That probably isn’t the reason. Your finger tips are a spiders web of nerve endings. Sometimes you’ll miss them, sometimes you’ll hit them bang on the head. You’ve no way of knowing. It’s a lottery.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don’t blame pain on the lancet being blunt. That probably isn’t the reason. Your finger tips are a spiders web of nerve endings. Sometimes you’ll miss them, sometimes you’ll hit them bang on the head. You’ve no way of knowing. It’s a lottery.
I find it even more of a lottery as to which areas of my finger-tips will give enough blood for a test.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
I find it even more of a lottery as to which areas of my finger-tips will give enough blood for a test.

I took a rare sample from my little finger today. Don’t know why but I tend to ignore it. It was obviously ready for a go though because it bled like a stuck pig.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I took a rare sample from my little finger today. Don’t know why but I tend to ignore it. It was obviously ready for a go though because it bled like a stuck pig.
Yes, I avoid my index and little fingers for this reason, but once I have failed on all the others ....

callieuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another vote here for the SD Codefree and I use it in conjunction with mysugr too. I still wince when I hear people say their doc/PN/local authority won't fund testing for T2s due to lack of hypo! Testing is essential to understand how your diet affects your levels and how you can make quick changes to aid yourself. It's my opinion that a lot of prediabetics could prevent a worsening if this was a mainstream practice to educate people (but I'm not an expert).

As for lancet changing ... each time I start a new test pot so roughly each week for me based on testing 6/8x a day.

Callie :)

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have decided after having my repeat prescription for lancets and test strips cancelled whilst being told that I don't need to test as type 2 sufferers never, ever have a hypo, that I need to start testing again as I have no idea of how well / bad I am doing. My latest review was bad. I am not surprised as I had no idea what my situation was. I felt fine and that is all I had to go by.

That is ludicrous as when I have really looked after myself well, I have had a number of hypos. My diabetic nurse tells me that is rubbish as I cannot have hypos.
I have had several diabetic nurses over the years and all bar this one have discussed hypos with me and agreed that I was happening. Strangely my diabetic history has vanished from my medical records beyond 2015 and she doesn't know why. The practice has changed hands 3 times since I was diagnosed as diabetic but she said that should not cause my records to have vanished.
So she cannot see any evidence of what I say.

Over the past few years I have not looked after myself too well as I have dipped in and out of depression.

Anyway, I am going to have to finance my own strips and lancets, despite it being hammered into me that type 2 diabetics don't need or have to test. Everybody I know in my area who is type 2 is still testing and being provided with strips and lancets. Only one person I know is on insulin as a type 2.

So which ones are the cheapest and is it correct that any test strip can be used in any machine or is it machine specific?

Steve...
I use RELI ON Prime strips US $ 20,- for 100 m\ friends that visit the US pick them up at Walmart
so far they are not available in Canada

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
I'm also type 2 diabetic and initially used the TEE2 system as the meter, Lancet, USB lead, Software and battery were all free. Test strip were £7:75 for a tub of 50.
However the Code free test strips work out at £5.98 if you buy 5 or 10 tubs a time with the discount codes shown. Given that I would, over time, buy that many test strips, I bit the bullet and ordered 10 tubs. Sadly as type 2's get to self fund their testing because so many doctors believe we shouldn't test at all, looking for cheaper suppliers will become a part of our lives

sahmraw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm also type 2 diabetic and initially used the TEE2 system as the meter, Lancet, USB lead, Software and battery were all free. Test strip were £7:75 for a tub of 50.
However the Code free test strips work out at £5.98 if you buy 5 or 10 tubs a time with the discount codes shown. Given that I would, over time, buy that many test strips, I bit the bullet and ordered 10 tubs. Sadly as type 2's get to self fund their testing because so many doctors believe we shouldn't test at all, looking for cheaper suppliers will become a part of our lives

I use Tee2 system cos that is what my GP gave me and I get strips and lancets free. Luckily my diabetic nurse mandated testing for me on tablets and now I am on insulin it is imperative before taking a dose. But I am in the U.K. so rules are different here.