Sudden Really High Blood Sugar In The Morning

Indy1282

I've been having really high blood sugar in the morning the last few days, up in the 17 - 20s. Im usually well controlled so this is a bit of a surprise. I eat low carb and haven't eaten before bed plus I'm going to sleep on a good number for me. It is my time of the month so I'm thinking ( hoping) that's the reason.

I changed my basal time from 10pm to 8pm to see if it helped but it has made no difference.

Googie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been having really high blood sugar in the morning the last few days, up in the 17 - 20s. Im usually well controlled so this is a bit of a surprise. I eat low carb and haven't eaten before bed plus I'm going to sleep on a good number for me. It is my time of the month so I'm thinking ( hoping) that's the reason.

I changed my basal time from 10pm to 8pm to see if it helped but it has made no difference.

Hi Indy

There is an article on dietdoctor.com called
"Is your fasting blood glucose higher on low carb or keto? Five things to know"
I tried to post a link here but I was prevented from doing so, hope you get to the bottom of this soon so that you can get back on track

Indy1282

K

Knikki

Hello @Indy1282

There could be a couple of reasons for you sudden rise:

Dawn Phenomena, where the liver dumps a pile of glucagon into the system to get things going. It is a natural thing and is common disgusion point around the T1D forum.

Weather, the heat is playing havoc with a lot of peoples control and BSL.

Time of month could also play a part because the hormones are all over the place, there is one person who I guess would be along later and can give more advice about this than me as she get a lot of insulin resistance around this time.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Indy1282 As you've posted this twice in 2 different areas, to save confusion with responses i'll do a merge so all your responses are in one place, hope this helps :)

Reactions: porl69

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Have you tested overnight? Sometimes I go to bed with a decent number and then due to delayed release (e.g. more fat in my dinner) or too little insulin to cover the dinner I get a spike and it stays high over night, which needs me to deal with the insulin alter on. Otherwise if it's a slow rise overnight then it might be that you need more basal. You also might need more basal when your period starts, something to consider ? Hope you manage to sort it out! I've been struggling with morning highs after late night lows so I know how annoying it can be

Indy1282

Have you tested overnight? Sometimes I go to bed with a decent number and then due to delayed release (e.g. more fat in my dinner) or too little insulin to cover the dinner I get a spike and it stays high over night, which needs me to deal with the insulin alter on. Otherwise if it's a slow rise overnight then it might be that you need more basal. You also might need more basal when your period starts, something to consider ? Hope you manage to sort it out! I've been struggling with morning highs after late night lows so I know how annoying it can be

Yes I have tested overnight and it may go up by 1 or 2 mmol but this is over 10mmol! I'm hoping it's period related. I am super insulin resistant in the morning which also doesn't help

I will try a low carb dinner and no snacks in the evening and see where I am tomorrow morning.

Indy1282

Well my period had finished yesterday and I'm back to waking up on roughly the same number as when I went to bed so looks like that was the issue!

Will bear in mind for next month and increase my basal