Why Can't I Sort Myself Out?!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The difficulty I have is breakfast and lunch, I don''t have a lot of time in the mornings to do breakfast during the week, I eat at work
I agree, most low carb eating seems to require cooking and I can't be cooking even something as simple as bacon and eggs at breakfast time. Oh for the days when preparing breakfast was just a matter of tipping muesli into a bowl and adding fruit and milk! My solution is to buy packs of free range chicken legs (Morrisons) and cook some the night before. At first the idea of chicken for breakfast did seem a bit odd, but I quickly got used to it. This does mean that every night I have to find time for some (pretty simple) cookery. If I am going to be out for lunch, my standby is low carb cheese and nuts. Full fat Greek yoghurt is portable and low in carbs too.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh yes that is a lot
I usually have strawberries, melon, pear or sometimes a small banana
May start mixing the yogurt and berries, may seem like a bigger meal that way lol
On this principle I eat my full fat Greek yoghurt with stewed rhubarb (no added sugar) or Hartley's 10 cal (0.3g carbs) jelly with double cream, with a teaspoon. They do last a lot longer and seem more that way.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An omelette takes the same amount of time to whip up as a piece of toast toasted and buttered, great, filling and 0 carbs, you can always add a little bit of cheese, ham, tomatoes etc makes it even more filling.
You must be a much faster cook than me. And what about the washing up? To be precise, an omelette does contain some carbs: 0.6 per egg.

Geoffno6

On this principle I eat my full fat Greek yoghurt with stewed rhubarb (no added sugar) or Hartley's 10 cal (0.3g carbs) jelly with double cream, with a teaspoon. They do last a lot longer and seem more that way.

Awww Hartley’s 10 cal with double cream has become my favourite food in the last two weeks, I’ve got the Greek yoghurt in the fridge so must try that too!

joeynomates1969

Hiya
Its difficult ...it really is. I've been a type 2 for about 15 years or so and I was told that id only overloaded my body with sugar...so I just carried on doing what I did...eating what I wanted. I've been on antibiotics for nearly 7 weeks, been admitted to hospital for a nasty abcess and now I'm on insulin. Im having problems again with it..(tried it before)...So now it's time to get busy and exercise and low carb. I u understand your fears as I have them myself, but like a lot of people on here say..it really is down to you to sort it out. You can do it, it just takes time for some of us

Reactions: zand

SRARY

Hi all,
I was diagnosed a few years ago as type 2 and have been trying to manage it on diet alone since then, unsuccessfully :(
I have been lurking here since diagnosed, I have read all the info, re testing, low carb diets, starter pack etc but for some reason just cannot stop myself eating **** that I shouldn't!
My levels are always really high, now my last eye test showed the beginnings of retinopathy. I have been losing weight, gradually but people have started to mention it, most people think its great but I know its because of the diabetes.
I have admitted defeat and agreed to start metformin, I took my first one today but I am worried about taking them as am scared of the side effects (more scared of this than diabetes complications, how does that work lol).
I'm a well educated adult, who knows what to do to get my levels down, why can't I just get on and do it?!

Sorry to come on and moan in my first post, just wanted to get it off my chest, feeling pretty upset and frustrated today for some reason and can't really say all this to anyone irl.

Thanks

SRARY

Hi
It's better to have goals to control your diabetes. Trying hard enough will help you to understand your potential and weaknesses this needs self control of your life. I am sure you will be successful.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

jocoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I am going through the grief process, just a few years after being diagnosed! Bit down this afternoon but carrying on, have been trying to cut down on the carbs this week, doing so so, I am away house sitting so I think that has added to my mood, once I am home with hubs I am sure I will be more upbeat, there are lots of recipes I have seen that I want to try, I'm not a great cook (no doing it often lol) but I'll give it a go and see.
Giving up smoking was easier than giving up carbs!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don''t have a lot of time in the mornings to do breakfast during the week

How about low carb chocolate granola and unsweetened almond milk? Cook a batch of granola at the weekend, store it in a sealed container in the fridge. In the mornings chuck some in a bowl with the almond milk, just like the old days of cornflakes and cows milk!

Edit to add the link, which might help! :joyful:
https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/chocolate-grain-free-granola/

Mr TEL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The thing that always used to get me down was diabetic nurses telling me off for having blood sugars slightly higher than the figures they had written down. It still goes on as my mum-in-law will attest.

Try not to fret too much. You'll get it sorted out eventually - it doesn't happen overnight. Don't be upset by the retinopathy. I've had the 'beginnings' of it for 30 years now!

Reactions: purplesally
M

Moggely

Hi, jocoll. I'm glad you're here.
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned here is Diabetic Grief. This is a period occurring after diagnosis where a diabetic has trouble accepting the diabetic lifestyle and dietary restrictions. There's an article within this site called Coping With Your Diagnosis: Emotional impact and grief. It explains how your diabetes diagnosis is like going through the five stages of grief. There's another article called, Grief, A Necessary Part of Accepting Diabetes, that I would recommend.
The reason I recommend these articles is that I am a T1 who has many T1 and T2 friends. Each diabetic I've spoken to has gone through these same issues as I did, mostly untreated. If I had realized sooner what this grief could do, I may have saved myself many years of mismanagement and complications.
The important thing is to forgive yourself for shortcomings and seek help if need be. None of us are perfect, but we can live longer, happier lives when the grief and accompanying issues are addressed.
@RAPS_od Hi Thanks for posting that as yesterday, probably the first time since diagnoses i had the worst day and couldn't be bothered with any more talk of it. I really was grieving for the old me even though it wasn't a healthy me. I wasn't even aware that i was actually grieving.:happy:. Feel so much better today and have stopped being so obsessive of everything.

Reactions: Terrytiddy

purplesally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,
I was diagnosed a few years ago as type 2 and have been trying to manage it on diet alone since then, unsuccessfully :(
I have been lurking here since diagnosed, I have read all the info, re testing, low carb diets, starter pack etc but for some reason just cannot stop myself eating **** that I shouldn't!
My levels are always really high, now my last eye test showed the beginnings of retinopathy. I have been losing weight, gradually but people have started to mention it, most people think its great but I know its because of the diabetes.
I have admitted defeat and agreed to start metformin, I took my first one today but I am worried about taking them as am scared of the side effects (more scared of this than diabetes complications, how does that work lol).
I'm a well educated adult, who knows what to do to get my levels down, why can't I just get on and do it?!

Sorry to come on and moan in my first post, just wanted to get it off my chest, feeling pretty upset and frustrated today for some reason and can't really say all this to anyone irl.

First of all stop beating yourself up diabetes will do that for you. I found getting angry about it helped and saw it as a challenge I had the help of a lovely dietician, I sent her weekly "honest" food diaries". This made me more conscious of what I was eating and more likely to stick to healthy eating. Although she never ever said you shouldn't eat that she offered sometimes alternatives. I really struggled at first because my diet has always been good, full of fruit and vegs and complex carbs. I still miss brown rice and wholemeal pasta and just having a small portion doesn't do it for me. I just accept I can't have it everyday and like takeaways in the prediagnosis days, its a monthly treat/ The important thing is too keep trying, keep testing. I know I can't eat apples anymore but strawberries have little affect. Sadly I now get really excited when I identify a new food my body likes! Understand that everyones diabetes is different and keep reading the forums we all need a good moan every now and again. Friends and family will appreciate not having to listen to it all the time too!

Thanks

Reactions: ziggy_w

jocoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all, it's good finally posting on here rather than lurking, only really speak to hubby about it and I am sure he's grateful for the rest lol!
Got a Facebook memory up today, its been 7 years today that I went for my glucose test, yuk Lucozade!! Didn't realise it was that long, oh well, I'm on it eventually! I still remember the horrible nurse whose words were 'well you are diabetic, no more cakes for you' then just got on with what I had actually gone to see her for! grrr

mr_cat

Hi, jocoll. I'm glad you're here.
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned here is Diabetic Grief. This is a period occurring after diagnosis where a diabetic has trouble accepting the diabetic lifestyle and dietary restrictions. There's an article within this site called Coping With Your Diagnosis: Emotional impact and grief. It explains how your diabetes diagnosis is like going through the five stages of grief. There's another article called, Grief, A Necessary Part of Accepting Diabetes, that I would recommend.
The reason I recommend these articles is that I am a T1 who has many T1 and T2 friends. Each diabetic I've spoken to has gone through these same issues as I did, mostly untreated. If I had realized sooner what this grief could do, I may have saved myself many years of mismanagement and complications.
The important thing is to forgive yourself for shortcomings and seek help if need be. None of us are perfect, but we can live longer, happier lives when the grief and accompanying issues are addressed.

Thanks for posting those links.
I think the emotional toll of diabetes might be underestimated by some people , those who are lucky enough to be healthy and not
worry about what they put in their mouths have no conception of the toll it takes to have to consider whether each bite of food they take damages them or not.
my bloods have been fine for over year and a half but the effects on my eyes continue to get worse, this is stressful as are other complications.
Combine this with other stresses and some days I just feel so battered by it all I just want to stay in bed all day.
Alcohol helped but that's a problem now too..
no one in my nhs care team has ever broached the subject of the emotional effects , no criticism of my team just an observation.
not sure where i am going with this not one to share myself on the net but this forum is full of such open and lovely souls
thought i would share a tiny bit.
Finally good luck to you jocoll hope you sort out a good path to well being.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, most low carb eating seems to require cooking and I can't be cooking even something as simple as bacon and eggs at breakfast time. Oh for the days when preparing breakfast was just a matter of tipping muesli into a bowl and adding fruit and milk! My solution is to buy packs of free range chicken legs (Morrisons) and cook some the night before. At first the idea of chicken for breakfast did seem a bit odd, but I quickly got used to it. This does mean that every night I have to find time for some (pretty simple) cookery. If I am going to be out for lunch, my standby is low carb cheese and nuts. Full fat Greek yoghurt is portable and low in carbs too.

Have you considered cooking all the chicken together then portioning up, wrapping in foil and freezing them? Then each evening the task is to take one portion from the freezer to defrost in the fridge overnight?

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you considered cooking all the chicken togetherr then portioning up, wrapping in foil and freezing them? Then each evening the task is to take one portrion from the freezer to defrost in the fridge overnight?
Great idea, except that then I'd have to clean my oven regularly, and I'm even more housework averse than cookery averse! Also I'd feel unhappy about throwing away all that aluminium foil

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for posting those links.
I think the emotional toll of diabetes might be underestimated by some people , those who are lucky enough to be healthy and not
worry about what they put in their mouths have no conception of the toll it takes to have to consider whether each bite of food they take damages them or not.
my bloods have been fine for over year and a half but the effects on my eyes continue to get worse, this is stressful as are other complications.
Combine this with other stresses and some days I just feel so battered by it all I just want to stay in bed all day.
Alcohol helped but that's a problem now too..
no one in my nhs care team has ever broached the subject of the emotional effects , no criticism of my team just an observation.
not sure where i am going with this not one to share myself on the net but this forum is full of such open and lovely souls
thought i would share a tiny bit.
Finally good luck to you jocoll hope you sort out a good path to well being.
Yes, it is hard hard hard! So scary about your eyes. Have you got your bloods as low as possible? Sometimes doctors consider A1cs "good control" that in fact expose the person to complications.

Might your GP be willing to refer you for some kind of psychological support? CBT is often available on the NHS. (I'm assuming you're in the UK.) I do think it would be a good idea for YOU to broach the subject with your medical team and really lay it on the line how much you are suffering emotionally.

If you'd like to pm me from time to time to express your feelings and / or give an update on how things are going, you're very welcome.

Reactions: Geoffno6

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great idea, except that then I'd have to clean my oven regularly, and I'm even more housework averse than cookery averse! Also I'd feel unhappy about throwing away all that aluminium foil

Apologies if I missed something, but why would it mean you'll be cleaning your oven more often? If throwing away foil doesn't appeal, then 7 smaller Tupperware or clip-top pots would negate that.