rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Hi Folks,

I have been doin this (by accident really) for the past 7-10 days... I was doin 16/8... I then found I wasnt hungry and was able to easily go past 16 hrs.

So to my point. It appears that Im comfortable with one meal a day, is anyone else doin this because I dont think Im getting enough cals. and wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Regards

Rab

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Folks,

I have been doin this (by accident really) for the past 7-10 days... I was doin 16/8... I then found I wasnt hungry and was able to easily go past 16 hrs.

So to my point. It appears that Im comfortable with one meal a day, is anyone else doin this because I dont think Im getting enough cals. and wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Regards

Rab

Hi @rab5

I do OMAD 2-3 times a week. Have done a couple of extended periods - 2 weeks - and find that the best way to judge whether you’re overdoing it is by your hunger. If you’re not hungry, or just have passing waves of hunger, your body is fine and you’re giving it what it needs. If you get ravenous and the feeling doesn’t pass, then I’d listen to your body and eat.

Works for me.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat one meal a day Monday to Friday.

I eat when I’m hungry, and enough to make sure I’m not. I’m sure my body will tell me if I’m not.

Reactions: Granny_grump_

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Hi @rab5

I do OMAD 2-3 times a week. Have done a couple of extended periods - 2 weeks - and find that the best way to judge whether you’re overdoing it is by your hunger. If you’re not hungry, or just have passing waves of hunger, your body is fine and you’re giving it what it needs. If you get ravenous and the feeling doesn’t pass, then I’d listen to your body and eat.

Works for me.
I eat one meal a day Monday to Friday.

I eat when I’m hungry, and enough to make sure I’m not. I’m sure my body will tell me if I’m not.

That sounds very sensible. Thanks for your answers. Im new to this LCHF stuff only been messing with it for the past lot of weeks. With the new eating habits and IF/OMAD Im finding it really good, long may it last!

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I found when I was eating one meal a day it affected my nails and hair, yet I was eating the right things on the plate. I now have added lunch at least 4 times a week and have found that my nails and hair have improved. I have also added a multivitamin tablet once a day

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I do 3 or 4 days a week, but may move to 2 or 3 as I have concerns about getting enough in for my regime.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I’ve done one meal a day for decades. Only broken when 1) diabetic consultants and other persons said I needed to eat more and include carbs! 2) my gastroenterologist recommended I eat 6 small meals a day (no way I could cope with that.

Always been slim 8-10 except the time to eat carbs- ie bread... etc.

Currently I have trying to eat twice a day but have ended up just lumping the two meals together in evening!!

I have never had hunger though. It’s not due to wanting to be slim or intentionally not eating more... no hunger can be a pain as I never think about food...

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After a 3 day fast a few weeks ago, I've just naturally settled into OMAD. I vary between lunch and dinner, depending on what's on. I try to make the most of the social eating occasions I have with family, and also because not eating at a main meal time when others in the family are provokes a lot of negative comments. I'm becoming quite skillful at avoiding the table at meal times if I'm not eating. There's a lot of intense pressure to eat when others are. It's a bit like when you're the only one not having a drink. For the first time, I'm losing real weight - I weigh myself every morning, and consistently lose 200g - 300g each day. When I do eat, I eat a LCHF meal. My BGs have got better since I started doing this. Never over 6 now. I don't ever get hungry, which I find surprising.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After a 3 day fast a few weeks ago, I've just naturally settled into OMAD. I vary between lunch and dinner, depending on what's on. I try to make the most of the social eating occasions I have with family, and also because not eating at a main meal time when others in the family are provokes a lot of negative comments. I'm becoming quite skillful at avoiding the table at meal times if I'm not eating. There's a lot of intense pressure to eat when others are. It's a bit like when you're the only one not having a drink. For the first time, I'm losing real weight - I weigh myself every morning, and consistently lose 200g - 300g each day. When I do eat, I eat a LCHF meal. My BGs have got better since I started doing this. Never over 6 now. I don't ever get hungry, which I find surprising.
Sounds like you are “fat adapted” so if you don’t “eat” enough calories your body dips into its fat stores to top up your intake. Well done.

Reactions: MrsGruffy

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is harder when you’ve a family as eating together is a social occasion and it may have been a habit for a long while. I fasted one meal a day for a month initially so at least could join them for a main meal. They did get used to it but prefer it as do I for catch ups - now lost excess and lowered bgs - that I join them most family mealtimes. They’ve got used to it though as I got into habit initially of sitting down with a coffee while they were eating to join in and now have smallish amounts of the low carb stuff at same time as they eat higher carb! 11 months later it’s now how our family works! Good thing, as you are finding, if you’re keto and overweight you can watch others eat and not be hungry - strange but true. You’re doing great keep going.

Last edited:

gettingamoveon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Folks,

Regards

Rab

I sometimes do this, but I don't plan it in advance. I don't eat breakfast. If I'm hungry at lunchtime, I have lunch. If I'm not, I skip it.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like to have TMAD or three meals a day. This is partly because I like to have an non-diabetic lifestyle as far as possible, eating when the family eats and eating something similar if not identical. The main reason however, is because I like food, it is one of the great pleasures in life. When I wake up I look forward to my egg and bacon breakfast, at lunchtime there is a tasty salad with tomatoes and cucumber picked fresh from my garden. My wife does most of the evening meals and she is an excellent cook, what we have is very varied but it's always a pleasure to eat, especially if accompanied with a glass of red wine. So I won't be trying OMAD. Making my life less pleasurable in the pursuit of a touch lower Hba1c, which is probably inaccurate anyway, seems pointless.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m often not hungry until late afternoon, so don’t tend to eat before that. I sort of slipped into doing OMAD two or three times a week by accident. As long as my levels are steady, and my basal insulin is right, I don’t need to eat.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I like to have TMAD or three meals a day. This is partly because I like to have an non-diabetic lifestyle as far as possible, eating when the family eats and eating something similar if not identical. The main reason however, is because I like food, it is one of the great pleasures in life. When I wake up I look forward to my egg and bacon breakfast, at lunchtime there is a tasty salad with tomatoes and cucumber picked fresh from my garden. My wife does most of the evening meals and she is an excellent cook, what we have is very varied but it's always a pleasure to eat, especially if accompanied with a glass of red wine. So I won't be trying OMAD. Making my life less pleasurable in the pursuit of a touch lower Hba1c, which is probably inaccurate anyway, seems pointless.

I just never feel hungry, so one meal a day is a pleasure in a way for me... but not in another way, as having no hunger at all, it is forcing myself to eat. When I do force myself I enjoy food.. not done to diet or bloods or anything medical. Just my body never feels hunger. I go to fridge often for water and milk but even the sight of food doesn’t entice me. Friends tell me my food is as good as a restaurants (not kfc!!) but even knowing that, just no hunger signals from stomach to brain or vice versa.

Some ways I wish I could have TMAD but after a lifetime of no hunger, that would be too punishing for me to do.

So amazed that us humans are all so different. I have a friends daughter staying with me now and she is hungry all the time.... and eating a lot but even seeing her food doesn’t set anything off for me.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If we're speaking abbreviations I tend to eat IMAD, so sometimes it's TMAD ir even FMAD, but yesterday it was OMAD though.... :D

But seriously, how often and sometimes when i eat depends on how hungry (or not) i am - I generally let my tum dictate.

Robbity

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
I decided to do 16:8 but from day 1 it became OMAD. The astonishing thing for me was that up until that day (2 weeks ago), I was constantly eating and working next to a bakery didn’t help. But when I decided to do fasting, I discovered I wasn’t hungry. At all. Until around 5pm!

I have not only shed 4kgs in 2 weeks, I have more energy, and more time in my day to do things.

Reactions: Joona and MrsGruffy

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I decided to do 16:8 but from day 1 it became OMAD. The astonishing thing for me was that up until that day (2 weeks ago), I was constantly eating and working next to a bakery didn’t help. But when I decided to do fasting, I discovered I wasn’t hungry. At all. Until around 5pm!

I have not only shed 4kgs in 2 weeks, I have more energy, and more time in my day to do things.
I aways find it quite amazing how breaking habits can show exactly what we can achieve..

Reactions: coby and Joona

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If we're speaking abbreviations I tend to eat IMAD, so sometimes it's TMAD ir even FMAD, but yesterday it was OMAD though.... :D

But seriously, how often and sometimes when i eat depends on how hungry (or not) i am - I generally let my tum dictate.

Robbity
I'm similar @Robbity I do 18/6IF but some times 22/2IF ED so often OMAD. Just done (well in 45 mins) first 72HREF! So not had OMAD,TMAD or THMAD 4 THDs:wacky: