New Here

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello, I'm new here, but not to being a type one diabetic, going on fifteen years with it.
Mostly on looking for ideas to send to my brother in law who was just diagnosed himself (Sort of...is it just a US thing to be told your diabetic, not told what type and sent home with a blood sugar still 400??? No referrals, no insulin, minimal information, I had to show him how to use the meter I gave him) and a little overwhelmed by it.

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Banrion na Beir, I doubt if the reports of the state of USA healthcare system have been exaggerated. The following is just my take from what I have read. Medical care in E.R.s might be fine for life-saving measures but not for all the important issues of chronic health condition care.
Perhaps if he contacts the American Diabetes Association asap to see what they can suggest for him in his situation of only partial diagnosis status and lack of definitive treatment., information they have on doctors and educators and how best to manage the bureaucracy of the insane health insurance system over there.
Hopefully he has sufficient health insurance (and Obamacare has not been totally dismantled) to help cover cost of treatment (apparently the newer insulins fetch high prices, basic insulin can be a discount stores without prescription and a prescription is needed for syringes/needles over there).
My personal 'thought' on being someone with a chronic health condition in the US is to immigrate to a country with universal health care ! Easier said than done.
I wish you and him well.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@kitedoc
Yeah, it's all sorts of messed up, mostly it just frustrates me, but then again, if you're too old for the local children's hospital where I was diagnosed, I've seen they (the "adult" hospitals) will just throw you back out after doing nothing. I've been sent home while in DKA myself.
I actually had a friend that was going to help me move countries when I was going through the same issue of medical costs nearly killing me. I'm doing what I can to at least pass on my own experiences with it. The last time we went to the American Diabetes Association for help because I was putting myself in DKA trying to stretch expired insulin.....well, their response kind of killed all my faith in them, so I'm reluctant to turn him toward them to look for more than just research help.
Something I did do, considering it took me twelve years to find and Endocrinologist I like and trust, was give him her information so that he doesn't have to go through so much trial and error as I did, and went over the basics with him (as in what's going on, food tips, exercise and water--not anything I'm not licensed to do) since not even that much had been done.

Also, we loved your bottom line, even if it's not so much a jest, given that he, myself, and my sister he is with are all chronically ill--us sisters with multiple conditions, it lightened up a frustrating situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sani Thomas

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@kitedoc
Yeah, it's all sorts of messed up, mostly it just frustrates me, but then again, if you're too old for the local children's hospital where I was diagnosed, I've seen they (the "adult" hospitals) will just throw you back out after doing nothing. I've been sent home while in DKA myself.
I actually had a friend that was going to help me move countries when I was going through the same issue of medical costs nearly killing me. I'm doing what I can to at least pass on my own experiences with it. The last time we went to the American Diabetes Association for help because I was putting myself in DKA trying to stretch expired insulin.....well, their response kind of killed all my faith in them, so I'm reluctant to turn him toward them to look for more than just research help.
Something I did do, considering it took me twelve years to find and Endocrinologist I like and trust, was give him her information so that he doesn't have to go through so much trial and error as I did, and went over the basics with him (as in what's going on, food tips, exercise and water--not anything I'm not licensed to do) since not even that much had been done.
Hi @Banrion na Beir, Apologies. I did not realise you have suffered through the US system. The ADA espouses patient care etc and it is very troubling to hear what the actual scene and reality is. And good on you for helping out your brother-in-law in what has definitely become a third-world country, health-wise at least. I had heard that there were local Diabetes associations which have helped diabetic patients with finding cheaper insulin, supplies from Pharmaceutical companies etc but assumed that there were related to the ADA. Hopefully you may find others on site who have local knowledge to share and I hope the site in general provides insights. After 51 years on insulin here in Australia I am still learning ! Again Best Wishes and all hope that the US situation can somehow improve.

Reactions: Sani Thomas

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @Banrion na Beir. I'm Type 2 and don't know much about Type1. But there are a lot of T1s on here and I expect they will be along later. It's only just after 5am here in the UK so they're probably still asleep.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Banrion na Beir, Apologies. I did not realise you have suffered through the US system. The ADA espouses patient care etc and it is very troubling to hear what the actual scene and reality is. And good on you for helping out your brother-in-law in what has definitely become a third-world country, health-wise at least. I had heard that there were local Diabetes associations which have helped diabetic patients with finding cheaper insulin, supplies from Pharmaceutical companies etc but assumed that there were related to the ADA. Hopefully you may find others on site who have local knowledge to share and I hope the site in general provides insights. After 51 years on insulin here in Australia I am still learning ! Again Best Wishes and all hope that the US situation can somehow improve.
I wouldn't so much call it suffering. It honestly could have changed in the last five years since I went through it. I just don't want them feeling at such a loss if they gave him the same answer they did me. Which was that their concern was in research only, and basically pointed us in a direction that still cost upwards of six hundred dollars a for a three week supply. We do have some foundations here that are private run. There is some rock star that started his own foundation because his son is a type one, and that was actually what saved me, he donated a years supply of everything to me, as well as paid for my health insurance for two years. Unfortunately, that is still only designed for minors. If one good thing comes out of it all it would be that we chronically ill stick together here because even if we don't have the same conditions, we go through the same nonsense.
I also recommended him to my way of getting supplies, which is substantially more affordable that going through regular pharmacies. I am just glad they're not in this alone and my struggles can help.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the forum @Banrion na Beir. I'm Type 2 and don't know much about Type1. But there are a lot of T1s on here and I expect they will be along later. It's only just after 5am here in the UK so they're probably still asleep.
I can understand that, I'm used to conversing with others with vastly different time zones than myself. I am fairly familiar with type two, my grandfather had it, and when I was younger I was so limited on carbs we bonded through my knack for making low carb desserts during holiday feasts :) I certainly don't know as much as type one about it, but I'm always willing to learn and listen.

Reactions: Prem51
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know which school your brother is attending, but here is an example:

https://eoss.asu.edu/health/resources/coverage
Thank you very much, we are looking in to this option because none of us had any idea that was a thing. As well as my sister, who isn't a student, trying to get in to a job that offers health care decent enough to help both of them with their different conditions.

Reactions: Prem51 and Garway

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I'm new here, but not to being a type one diabetic, going on fifteen years with it.
Mostly on looking for ideas to send to my brother in law who was just diagnosed himself (Sort of...is it just a US thing to be told your diabetic, not told what type and sent home with a blood sugar still 400??? No referrals, no insulin, minimal information, I had to show him how to use the meter I gave him) and a little overwhelmed by it.

Banrion na Beir - You say your BiL sort of diagnosed himself, but has he had an official diagnosis of diabetes? If so, has he had the type of diagnosis confirmed?

I'm pleased you have found a way of managing your own T1, within your budgets and resources, but really your BiL needs some baseline results to ensure your guidance is taking him in the right direction.

kerrygold59

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@kitedoc

Also, we loved your bottom line, even if it's not so much a jest, given that he, myself, and my sister he is with are all chronically ill--us sisters with multiple conditions, it lightened up a frustrating situation.

Really need to start sorting all your families diets out. 1 cut all sugars, no packets, cut all Processed carbs, eat low carb healthy fat moderate protein, see Www.dietdoctor.com. Do this for 2 -3 months then go to www.meatheals.com
If your on insulin you need to talk to medical staff to start reducing the meds the day you start on Ketogenic lifestyle. You can reverse the disease.

*Edited to remove email address

I look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited by a moderator:

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello and WELCOME to this forum where you will find oodles of help and information :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Really need to start sorting all your families diets out. 1 cut all sugars, no packets, cut all Processed carbs, eat low carb healthy fat moderate protein, see Www.dietdoctor.com. Do this for 2 -3 months then go to www.meatheals.com
If your on insulin you need to talk to medical staff to start reducing the meds the day you start on Ketogenic lifestyle. You can reverse the disease.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Hello Kerry - type 1 cannot be reversed, not sure if you know the poster is type 1 ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Banrion na Beir - You say your BiL sort of diagnosed himself, but has he had an official diagnosis of diabetes? If so, has he had the type of diagnosis confirmed?

I'm pleased you have found a way of managing your own T1, within your budgets and resources, but really your BiL needs some baseline results to ensure your guidance is taking him in the right direction.
Wow, sorry for the delay, my phone stopped notifying me about activity here. He didn't diagnose himself, the ER did, but they only gave a generic "diabetes", not the type, no information, nothing. He has been in to see an Endocrinologist now, and has been working to see that it gets under control and has been doing pretty good with it.

Reactions: Prem51 and DCUKMod

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This tale is a lesson to us all how lucky we are in this country with the NHS. We all moan about our HCPs but imagine being left to cope with this (lack of) quality of care. All the best to you and your family @Banrion na Beir .

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This tale is a lesson to us all how lucky we are in this country with the NHS. We all moan about our HCPs but imagine being left to cope with this (lack of) quality of care. All the best to you and your family @Banrion na Beir .
Yeah, this has been the story of my life here, our hospitals will send you home in DKA if you don't have a fancy enough insurance and are too old to go to one of the children's hospitals...and then there's trying to afford insulin, many stressful years over that. We manage though, I've gotten a lot of helpful information on how to help them work around it and get things figured out.
Thank you to everyone who's given information or just well wishes.