Storing Insulin In This Weather

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My in use basal stays in my fridge and my bolus goes in a Frio wallet and if it wasn't in there it'd be in the fridge too.

Ditto! Found the basal wasn’t performing accurately enough. Have had no trouble with stinging. So might continue this after the weather has returned to normal.

Reactions: kev-w

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Odd shaped pump but this is an example of pump pouch.
9c911e1d4d6e39ea1b6e442888af8e46.jpg

Reactions: kev-w

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine has been living next to the current defrosting frozen water bottles in my everyday backpack, (wrapped in micro-fibre cloths so the rest of the bag/contents stay dry) and as I'm the paranoid type who takes my backpack to my bedroom every night (on the grounds it has all the essential stuff in it case of fire) the insulin would be there anyway! Also nice to have a cold drink available all the time at the moment.

Seems to have been working for the insulin, and for me.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
818085A5-169B-474E-A51C-3C5CCC3C8B06.jpeg

I’m keeping my in use pens in a two-pen Frio pouch, modelled here by Fidel. It fits in my handbag easily enough. And do does the insulin ;) I usually keep them in a nice purple leather pencil case...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
View attachment 27794

I’m keeping my in use pens in a two-pen Frio pouch, modelled here by Fidel. It fits in my handbag easily enough. And do does the insulin ;) I usually keep them in a nice purple leather pencil case...
Hello Fidel, and welcome on the forum! Looks like you're a smart cat to have found a small cooler place. Just wanted to tell you you do a much better job at modelling than those half naked ladies you see on top of used cars for sale. I'd buy the frio pouch in an instant if I didn't already have one and if it was for sale :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hello Fidel, and welcome on the forum! Looks like you're a smart cat to have found a small cooler place. Just wanted to tell you you do a much better job at modelling than those half naked ladies you see on top of used cars for sale. I'd buy the frio pouch in an instant if I didn't already have one and if it was for sale :)
Fidel would like me to thank you on his behalf, he thinks he is v smart too. Although he is currently in trouble for eviscerating a pigeon on the stairs this evening, he was doing it to help his brother B*ll*cks (yes, really), who has had to go on a bit of a diet recently after the hoomins discovered he was going to the chip shop several times a week and being given a sausage.

Reactions: Sweetheart66

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
he was doing it to help his brother B*ll*cks (yes, really), who has had to go on a bit of a diet recently after the hoomins discovered he was going to the chip shop several times a week and being given a sausage.
I believe we've met the cat with the offensive name already on this forum, so hello again, cat. Being given sausages at the chip shop is something to make anyone very happy, never mind what Mel thinks about it. Well done! Wish you all the best with your new regime and I hope you'll be able to sneak some sausage or pigeon unnoticed by her. Good luck!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I believe we've met the cat with the offensive name already on this forum, so hello again, cat. Being given sausages at the chip shop is something to make anyone very happy, never mind what Mel thinks about it. Well done! Wish you all the best with your new regime and I hope you'll be able to sneak some sausage or pigeon unnoticed by her. Good luck!
Poor old B*ll*cks has been deprived of kibble since the vet said he was packing a bit too much (fat) power. So he’s gone keto. So when they shout at me because they’re hungry, I do tell them to catch their own. Looks like they did.

Was quite tempted to turn them into a nice furry insulin storage pouch this evening!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So he’s gone keto.
B*ll*cks, could you ask Mel for a collar that says 'Only feed steak because of diet'? Life might even get better than before in the chip shop!

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And @O_DP_T1 , hope you don't mind the derailing of your post. I figured you've got a lot of useful answers already, and it's too hot to sleep or get too serious (although I suppose no sausages or kibble is pretty serious for Mr. B*ll*cks).
If it bothers you, please say so, and we'll stop/delete off-topic posts

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
And @O_DP_T1 , hope you don't mind the derailing of your post. I figured you've got a lot of useful answers already, and it's too hot to sleep or get too serious (although I suppose no sausages or kibble is pretty serious for Mr. B*ll*cks).
If it bothers you, please say so, and we'll stop/delete off-topic posts
Also, it’s Friday night, and wine has happened in our house. And probably beer in the house of @Antje77 ;)

KenBachelor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
I keep my stock of insulin in the fridge, but what I'm using I just keep in a cupboard under the stairs and I've never had a problem.

I've noticed that pumps are far more widely used in the US and that in the sunshine state (Florida) I've seen lots of people lying in the sun by swimming pools wearing them. It's always been a mystery to me why they don't have problems but they don't seem to.

Mr TEL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep my stock of insulin in the fridge, but what I'm using I just keep in a cupboard under the stairs and I've never had a problem.

I've noticed that pumps are far more widely used in the US and that in the sunshine state (Florida) I've seen lots of people lying in the sun by swimming pools wearing them. It's always been a mystery to me why they don't have problems but they don't seem to.
I was always told that providing it's not in direct sunlight or on top of a radiator then it was ok.

One thing that does concern me is for how long you can keep it in the Frio pack before you have to dry it out?
I don't like the idea of something being damp and in a warm place for a prolonged time . It sounds like a breeding ground for germs. Or am I just being OCD?

D

Deleted Account

I was always told that providing it's not in direct sunlight or on top of a radiator then it was ok.

One thing that does concern me is for how long you can keep it in the Frio pack before you have to dry it out?
I don't like the idea of something being damp and in a warm place for a prolonged time . It sounds like a breeding ground for germs. Or am I just being OCD?
I don't find my Frio packs are particularly wet.
When you soak them in water, the crystals absorb the water.
They keep the insulin (or whatever else you store in them) cool through the condensation from the crystals over time.
As the water condenses, there is nothing left so they remain pretty dry.

As an aside, due to the way the Frio packs work, they do not insulate so cannot be used in cold weather.

purplesally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been keeping my open pens in their pencil case in the bottom of my bag as usual and there doesn't seem to be any problems - so far