Hungry

sbrandon1320

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Since I started taking insulin 5 days ago I’m always hungry does this happen to anyone else or does anyone know why

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @sbrandon1320 welcome to the Forum! Glad you found us and stick with as as you will learn so much that will be beneficial in your journey with diabetes! I see you are a T2 and already started on insulin? Are you taking any other medications? Have you had any tests to see how your pancreas is functioning, how much insulin you are producing? If you have hyperinsulinemia - meaning too much insulin floating around in your body - and you are adding more insulin, that is not a good scenario at all!! Without more information about you and your diabetes protocol it is difficult to say anything more.

First off though, I would be looking at lowering your intake of carbohydrates. You will find loads of information here on what others are doing to manage their eating. It can seem overwhelming, but read through, jot down questions you may have and fire away! There is always someone around to helpfully guide/suggest things to do/not do. Remember also that you have started a marathon that is lifelong, not a sprint!! You ultimately have to decide what is best for you, what is the most beneficial and hands-on learning is the best tool in your arsenal!! Blessings/L

Reactions: kitedoc

sbrandon1320

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @sbrandon1320 welcome to the Forum! Glad you found us and stick with as as you will learn so much that will be beneficial in your journey with diabetes! I see you are a T2 and already started on insulin? Are you taking any other medications? Have you had any tests to see how your pancreas is functioning, how much insulin you are producing? If you have hyperinsulinemia - meaning too much insulin floating around in your body - and you are adding more insulin, that is not a good scenario at all!! Without more information about you and your diabetes protocol it is difficult to say anything more.

First off though, I would be looking at lowering your intake of carbohydrates. You will find loads of information here on what others are doing to manage their eating. It can seem overwhelming, but read through, jot down questions you may have and fire away! There is always someone around to helpfully guide/suggest things to do/not do. Remember also that you have started a marathon that is lifelong, not a sprint!! You ultimately have to decide what is best for you, what is the most beneficial and hands-on learning is the best tool in your arsenal!! Blessings/L

Haven’t had any tests yet. Cant take most of the usual tables because of side affects . My blood sugars are quite high about 14 ish so the dn started me on humulin m3 twice a day have to keep increasing it till I get it lower

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @sbrandon1320 the 14's are indeed high! You need to concentrate on getting your carb intake under control. I would strongly suggest that you take a good look at the lowcarbhighfat LCHF subforum here. Now bear in mind that "low carb" can be anything from 100gm to a mere 20gm/day! If you are an all or nothing type, you may go to 20gm/day right off; if you need to take things more gradually, start at 100gm/day and work your way down over a period of weeks to where you find your blood sugar levels are acceptable on a consistent level.....If you choose the route of super low carb, be aware that there is such a thing as "carb flu" that some experience as they wean themselves off carbs.....Hope I'm not overwhelming you!!

I would think that through time, you will be able to decrease your insulin levels which would be good all round....but it may take some time! Please read the subforum of success stories - very inspirational and you may come across others in a similar situation. All the best/L

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for tagging me @archersuz, however I’m not on insulin so wouldn’t like to advise what level to limit carbs to whilst injecting. But I do agree with you that dropping the level suddenly might not be advisable as it may induce hypos.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for tagging me @archersuz, however I’m not on insulin so wouldn’t like to advise what level to limit carbs to whilst injecting. But I do agree with you that dropping the level suddenly might not be advisable as it may induce hypos.
Hi @Rachox, thanks for responding so quickly! I was concerned about the advice given and wanted to make sure that I was giving the correct advice!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @sbrandon1320 ,

Welcome to the forum.

I notice you have only been prescribed your insulin for little under a week?
OK, first rule before anything else. Know thy insulin. ;) I've been on the stuff for 42 years.
Liaise with your HCPs, get comfortable with your new regime before making any diatary changes other than the "usual suspects."

Test regularly, keep a log of before eating numbers, two hours after meals & waking/bedtime numbers too! Don't forget to log what has been eaten. This will help.your Doc to help you...

First steps are always steady till you get yer footing.. :)

Reactions: sbrandon1320

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since I started taking insulin 5 days ago I’m always hungry does this happen to anyone else or does anyone know why

My apologies. (Totally forgot.) Getting back to the subject of hunger since starting insulin.

I'm no doctor, this is just supposition.
I noticed you mentioned stopping metformin? Before starting insulin. Metformin can act as an appetite suppressant..
Another thought, if you have had a prolonged period of quite high numbers? The step down into the teens or possibly lower still. maybe giving you these hunger pangs as your metabolism adjusts & slowly gets it's act together..?

What numbers are you testing at when you feel hungry..?

Hope this helps.

Regards.

J>

sbrandon1320

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My apologies. (Totally forgot.) Getting back to the subject of hunger since starting insulin.

I'm no doctor, this is just supposition.
I noticed you mentioned stopping metformin? Before starting insulin. Metformin can act as an appetite suppressant..
Another thought, if you have had a prolonged period of quite high numbers? The step down into the teens or possibly lower still. maybe giving you these hunger pangs as your metabolism adjusts & slowly gets it's act together..?

What numbers are you testing at when you feel hungry..?

Hope this helps.

Regards.

J>

I didn’t stop metfomin before starting insulin I had a reaction to it so stopped it years ago

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My numbers are about 14ish most of the time but hopefully increasing insulin every few days it will start coming down

A steady lowering of BG with the insulin adjustment & you will get there!

I'm not sure where you are geographically located. (you don't have to tell me.) The recent hot weather can increase insulin sensitivity? So don't be surprised when winter comes about that a very subtle increase maybe needed?? (Once you've found your dose.)

All the best.

J>

sbrandon1320

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
A steady lowering of BG with the insulin adjustment & you will get there!

I'm not sure where you are geographically located. (you don't have to tell me.) The recent hot weather can increase insulin sensitivity? So don't be surprised when winter comes about that a very subtle increase maybe needed?? (Once you've found your dose.)

All the best.

J>

Thanks

Reactions: Jaylee

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I don't take any medication, but I don't think going to 20gm/day right off is a good idea for someone on insulin!!!
@sbrandon1320 you need to take medical advice before cutting carbs dramatically. I'm tagging in @Rachox for more advice here!

Hey @archersuz I stand corrected. I had in the back of my mind others who have successfully cut carbs while on insulin and been able to eventually get off it.....but certainly in the case of a newly diagnosed individual, medical advice and direction is the best way to go....

Sorry to @sbrandon1320 for the muddled advice.....good reminder to me not to comment on a medication I am not personally taking! Trust you are doing ok. Take care/L

Reactions: sbrandon1320

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know anything about insulin and always being hunrgy, but I've had problems with the pills too. So much so I ended up trying low carb, high fat, and going diet only. It worked, (and my bloodsugars were significantly higher than yours.... If my doc hadn't been on holiday I'm pretty sure I would've been put on onsulin myself, but things were a mess at my GP's and the hospital then), but I wasn't on insulin at the time. If you chose to change your diet to get off insulin and any other meds, make sure you *have medical support*, a meter to check what your levels are, plenty of strips, jellybabies or dextro in case of emergency (hypo), and a very, very good understanding of what you're going to try. I didn't have mentionworthy help, I had to sort it out on my own while everyone was on holiday, but like I said, I wasn't taking insulin jabs. Learn what you can and decide what you want to do with this. All I know is that insulin in type 2's rarely does much for complications in the long term. (Not to scare you, but just... You know. Personal experience.)